Share Your Successes!

LovetoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in my own thoughts. I self-published the last week of July 2012. I really don't know if my sales are considered good to other people or not, but to me, I'm happy and I am the only person that counts.

So these are my numbers so far:

July - 16 copies in the US * 5 in the UK.
August - 83 copies in the US * 20 in the UK.
September to date - 1182 copies in the US * 218 in the UK.

It is a novella, roughly 25,000 words for $0.99. I did it because I had been writing and not writing the story for 2 years, if you can believe that or not. I would write and decide I suck at writing, then put it away for months. I'd bring it out again and go through the whole process time after time. The last time I put it away, I read something written by one of the AW member's here. It had to do with three types of writers. One was the writer who will write, but convinced they aren't any good, will never have anything published, because their writing will never see the light of day. It was an eye opener. He was talking about me! Me! Here I am, over here, I'm that person. So one night I said to myself, it is now or never and I formatted and uploaded and held my breath and waited to see what happened. I didn't tell one soul, not family or friends. I used a pen name and just waited. I was waiting on the reviews. I know they say not to read them, but it was the only way to find out if I sucked as bad as I'd thought. Guess what? I didn't suck, not to the reviewers. After the first seven or eight reviews, I had stopped reading them. ****As a side note, I did pay a professional editor and I did pay for a professional cover.****

The reason I am telling you all this is because I am happy with my sales from self-publishing and the money I am making is going toward the one dream goal of mine. Next year I am going to my first writer's convention, its one I have always wanted to attend. It is expensive and I have dreamed of affording to go, and guess what? My self-published novella is paying the way. Once there I am pitching the novel I am currently writing to agents at their pitch sessions and hope to one day be trade published.

Will I stop self-publishing under my pen name? Nope. I plan to keep writing novella's and shorts.

You see, I don't want to do one or the other. I want it all. Why not? No one can tell me I can't have my cake and eat it too, unless I don't get trade published, but I won't know until I try. This one novella that I self-published has given me more courage and understanding then I thought possible. I might not write like my favorite author's, but it doesn't matter, because I write like me. And there are people out there who liked it.

Sometimes money isn't the only thing that comes out of self-publishing. Anyways, that's it. Thanks.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in my own thoughts. I self-published the last week of July 2012. I really don't know if my sales are considered good to other people or not, but to me, I'm happy and I am the only person that counts.

So these are my numbers so far:

July - 16 copies in the US * 5 in the UK.
August - 83 copies in the US * 20 in the UK.
September to date - 1182 copies in the US * 218 in the UK.

It is a novella, roughly 25,000 words for $0.99. I did it because I had been writing and not writing the story for 2 years, if you can believe that or not. I would write and decide I suck at writing, then put it away for months. I'd bring it out again and go through the whole process time after time. The last time I put it away, I read something written by one of the AW member's here. It had to do with three types of writers. One was the writer who will write, but convinced they aren't any good, will never have anything published, because their writing will never see the light of day. It was an eye opener. He was talking about me! Me! Here I am, over here, I'm that person. So one night I said to myself, it is now or never and I formatted and uploaded and held my breath and waited to see what happened. I didn't tell one soul, not family or friends. I used a pen name and just waited. I was waiting on the reviews. I know they say not to read them, but it was the only way to find out if I sucked as bad as I'd thought. Guess what? I didn't suck, not to the reviewers. After the first seven or eight reviews, I had stopped reading them. ****As a side note, I did pay a professional editor and I did pay for a professional cover.****

The reason I am telling you all this is because I am happy with my sales from self-publishing and the money I am making is going toward the one dream goal of mine. Next year I am going to my first writer's convention, its one I have always wanted to attend. It is expensive and I have dreamed of affording to go, and guess what? My self-published novella is paying the way. Once there I am pitching the novel I am currently writing to agents at their pitch sessions and hope to one day be trade published.

Will I stop self-publishing under my pen name? Nope. I plan to keep writing novella's and shorts.

You see, I don't want to do one or the other. I want it all. Why not? No one can tell me I can't have my cake and eat it too, unless I don't get trade published, but I won't know until I try. This one novella that I self-published has given me more courage and understanding then I thought possible. I might not write like my favorite author's, but it doesn't matter, because I write like me. And there are people out there who liked it.

Sometimes money isn't the only thing that comes out of self-publishing. Anyways, that's it. Thanks.

Congrats! It sounds like you are doing very well!:)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
LovetoWrite, I've moved your post and the ensuing discussion here as it fits better.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I made the front page in the Fort Payne Times-Journal, our local major paper. Quite a surprise. A gas station manager suggested I contact them through FB, and I did. They did a nice article on me. The hard-copy edition has one of my book covers displayed.

Link: http://times-journal.com/news/article_1a5fe2c4-09ba-11e2-8643-001a4bcf887a.html

LTW, you're on your way. I think those are fantastic numbers, considering it's a stand-alone novella. Very impressive, indeed.

tri

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Another copy of "Becoming a Hero: The Complete Collection" sold on Smashwords today.

What's weird are the circumstances.

According to the stats, the last sample download was on the 18th of last month. Also, there had been no page views for the past three days, and suddenly, today, there were four (one of which, apparently, purchased the story blindly).

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily, Mark. It's possible somebody may have downloaded a bunch of samples of different books and is slowly working their way through them and ordering the books that liked. I have a friend that does that all the time.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I've gone on my first virtual book tour ever. It's fun following it. You can see the first round at Farah Ever's Book Tours, which is an interview:

http://www.farahevers.com/pr-media/...hris-stevenson-tour-host-for-evers-book-tours

Youtube Book Video (short but sweet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7RS...email_reply&feature=em-comment_reply_received

The Book Review:

http://michysbookreviews.com/2012/1...ate-by-chris-stevenson/#.UIVdMQWktpI.facebook

This seems to be working on multiple levels--liking the author's FB page, tagging, and some sales. I've also noticed a huge rise of blog subscribers and page views, FWIW. Not bad. Almost instant results. Farah also does reasonably priced covers and a plethora of other graphic design services.

tri:)

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I did my first free days on KDP. For Halloween, and because my book is about vampires, I had two free days for 10/30 and 10/31.

I had 450 downloads during these two days, and my book reached #38 on the contemporary fantasy Kindle list. That brings a smile to my face because it was neat to see my book on a Kindle list.

BTW: contemporary fantasy does include paranormal/urban fantasy.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Pearl. Always happy to hear about these beginning successes!

statik27

Registered
Reaction score
As a confirmed lurker, I'd just like to say what a very real pleasure it is to read the encouraging words on this thread. It has inspired me to not just write, but share my writing with others.

Thank you,

Statik27

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Sold another book and have had 100 downloads of my free novella on Smashwords. Does that count as a success?

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sold another book and have had 100 downloads of my free novella on Smashwords. Does that count as a success?

Damn right it does :D

Well done to all, love this thread!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to echo Kitty and all the rest when I say, "Congratulations to everyone one of you for each and every success. What wonderful accomplishments!"

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
I keep deleting this and then typing it all over and then deleting it. Blah LOL I know reading y'alls successes and stories helped me, inspired me and did a lot to drive my self-publishing adventure.

I waited to add this until the voting was over, because I'm not scrounging for votes =D (I'm also reasonably sure I won't make the next round lol.)

I'm swooning a bit.

\o/ That's my name! Next to Nora Roberts, Julia Quinn, Sylvia Day, JR Ward etc! at the 2012 Goodreads Choice awards:

XRaXw.png