Show and Not Tell Technique?

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
I like reading and have the luxury of time to indulge, but does anyone else have the problem of getting to wrapped up in the work and forgetting to study how the author paints a scene or moves the story forward? I am sure that some of it will flow into my writing, like osmosis, but I also feel like I am not getting the full benefit of learning about writing techniques.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely! When I forget to 'study' or 'crit' and find myself reading for pure enjoyment, that just means the author has done it right :D

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
+1

I find it much easier to spot where and how an author has done something clumsily*, than I do to dissect and analyse the good stuff.

* a category that ranges from 'oops' to 'hurl at a wall'

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that if you read a lot of good stuff your writing improves even if you don't analyse what you're reading as you go along. I've seen it happen so many times. Analysis helps, of course: but the reading is the key.

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
"Show vs tell" is quite possibly the biggest concern facing every beginning writer and is close to number one in every writing group out there. Many people are unsure how they can relay details about characters if they can't tell the reader them and it gets even more confusing when they hear someone say "Well, some telling is okay, but not all telling".

That being said, it's way overstated in the writing community. To actually tell an entire novel or even a few pages is exceedingly difficult. It's a lot more simple to avoid than many people think and therefore a lot more rare. I've read lots of SYW posts here and on other websites and most adults who read often are able to either consciously or subconsciously recognize what "show, don't tell" means and avoid it in their writing. I'd say the vast majority of them do. It's primarily an age-related thing which teenagers often fall prey to.

All that "show, don't tell" means is that we have to be experiencing the novel right along with your characters. This is different from being told a story- "Sally's hair was dark and curly". That's telling. "Sally's hair was the color of night and often curled around her shoulders like the many tails of some strange and exotic beast"= showing. The former is bland and boring while the latter is more interesting to a reader. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
All that "show, don't tell" means is that we have to be experiencing the novel right along with your characters. This is different from being told a story- "Sally's hair was dark and curly". That's telling. "Sally's hair was the color of night and often curled around her shoulders like the many tails of some strange and exotic beast"= showing. The former is bland and boring while the latter is more interesting to a reader. That's really all there is to it.

Doesn't this start to stray into the dreaded purple prose arena?

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I actually think the latter counts as telling, too. If I wanted to show someone having curly hair I would mention it when they tangle a finger in it while they're thinking, or something.

I took a workshop a few weeks ago called Tell, Don't Show, about when and how to use telling. The teacher gave us a handout of examples of really beautiful, evocative, voice-y telling. The one I remember off the top of my head was from Brokeback Mountain. And it was the kind of thing that would be workshopped into oblivion by most groups, lol.

The main thing I try to keep in mind is avoiding what TV Tropes calls Informed _____. This is where the story tells the reader that a character is a certain way, but it just doesn't play out in the story. I mean, sometimes this is done intentionally for irony, but mostly not. So my advice is if you're tempted to tell the reader something about a character, wait and ask yourself if the reader will make that determination on their own throughout the story.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The main thing I try to keep in mind is avoiding what TV Tropes calls Informed _____. This is where the story tells the reader that a character is a certain way, but it just doesn't play out in the story.

Yes, this is really annoying. I don't really notice show vs. tell when reading for leisure (unless huge sections of plot or dialogue are being summarized and I feel like they shouldn't be), but I do notice if characters are constantly saying that something or someone is one way, but everything the reader sees is something else, unless the narrator is purposefully unreliable about that element.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Doesn't this start to stray into the dreaded purple prose arena?

It was a quick example & not meant to be perfect!
I took a workshop a few weeks ago called Tell, Don't Show, about when and how to use telling

The "Show don't tell" advice has been wrongly interpreted to mean that telling is somehow evil. There are several reasons why you might decide to tell something. For instance, it would be silly to show every one the million steps of a trek of a thousand miles if nothing important happened during the trek. Also, the blandness of most telling can be used to orchestrate the tension in a long section of a book, much the way comic relief is used to defuse tension.

Last edited: