Overused Names in YA?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The list of the most popular baby names of 2014 in Canada was released recently: Olivia and Liam. I'm not crazy about Liam, but I love Olivia -- the little mouse girl from Great Mouse Detective! -- but I feel like I can never use it because of how popular it's become.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Any name that starts with "Ma" but not usually for the MCs. I feel like there are a lot of secondary characters whose names start with "Ma." At least 20 alone in the Selection series ;)

slyelessar

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind unusual names for fantasy/sci-fi. Preferably I can read it (and I'm usually quite good at reading obscure names).

What I don't like is when a generic novel that is not in a fantasy world has unconventional names. If it is based in US/ Europe /Earth give them a fairly ordinary name. I don't mean a lack of effort, but nothing that stands out as silly in that situation.

If it sounds like they should be on a distant planet covered mostly by desert or has a name that would suit a sorcerer and you have them gallivanting on earth I just don't find that believable/ doesn't draw me in. Fair enough if they aren't from earth though :p

Last edited:

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting a little tired of seeing little boys named Ben, Jack, Sam or Charlie. Not just in YA, but in movies, MG, romance what have you. If someone has son, younger brother or cousin that's a boy, often that's what they're named.

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
Anything that can be shorted to Cat or Kat.

This. Oh my goodness this. Those names have to be one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It's gotten to the point I'll literally put down a book if the main character has a name like this.

I haven't read through all of the posts yet, but I'm assuming someone has mentioned those weird names that are symbols as to what a character is supposed to be. Forgive me, I don't know what the correct term for that is. But in most cases, the character's role is made so blatantly obvious by their name I want to throw the book across the room. Names like "Light" and "Sky" or how about "Honor" or "Justice?" Let's go the other way too. How about names like "Darken" or "Fell?"
Why bother reading the book if I already know what's going to happen by reading the character's name?

I know that people have weird names in real life. I'm lamented to say I personally met someone who willingly named her son "Rocket," so I know stuff like that happens all the time. It's just that there's such a disproportionate amount of regular character names in YA it seems.

Or maybe it's confirmation bias? Who knows?

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been said before, but Ash.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Astrid. I might have posted this before, but it is my pet peeve.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read through all of the posts yet, but I'm assuming someone has mentioned those weird names that are symbols as to what a character is supposed to be. Forgive me, I don't know what the correct term for that is. But in most cases, the character's role is made so blatantly obvious by their name I want to throw the book across the room. Names like "Light" and "Sky" or how about "Honor" or "Justice?" Let's go the other way too. How about names like "Darken" or "Fell?"
Why bother reading the book if I already know what's going to happen by reading the character's name?

Ha, I did the opposite of this in my superhero novel. The hero's name is Evie Dark. The villain was Apollo Eastman and is now known as Ace Starr. But you know within their first chapters what their roles are supposed to be (Ace is the first to tell you that he's a villain), and I loved juxtaposing their light/dark roles with their dark/light names.