Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you guys are convincing me not to check out TbF. The life-threatening allergies was appealing to me.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for examples of YA with lyrical prose. I'm not sure if that is exactly what I mean, but something that sings. I tend to write in rather matter of fact, to the point way, and I want to branch out a little with a little more description and a little beautiful sentence construction. I don't know if that makes any sense, but if you have suggestions for any YA, any genre, with beautiful prose I would love some ideas.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for examples of YA with lyrical prose. I'm not sure if that is exactly what I mean, but something that sings. I tend to write in rather matter of fact, to the point way, and I want to branch out a little with a little more description and a little beautiful sentence construction. I don't know if that makes any sense, but if you have suggestions for any YA, any genre, with beautiful prose I would love some ideas.

THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER by Leslye Walton! Magical realism. Really prettily written.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Becca I got chills reading the blurb for this book!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some sci-fi. I LOVED These Broken Stars/This Shattered World. I also dig aliens and am open to some romance.

Recs would be great!

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some sci-fi. I LOVED These Broken Stars/This Shattered World. I also dig aliens and am open to some romance.

Recs would be great!

I've been reading a lot of sci-fi lately. Have you read Alienated by Melissa Landers? It's a cute, fun YA book about an alien exchange student, and the second book in the series, Invaded, just came out last week.

I am reading the first book in Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series, which is also about aliens, and so far it's okay, though a little reminiscent of Twilight.

Oh, and if you're into dimension hopping, consider checking out Claudia Gray's A Thousand Pieces of You. I read that recently and it's pretty good, too.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Paintit! I actually just read and really enjoyed A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU. :) I'll have to check out the others!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score

Recs would be great!

JUMPER by Steven Gould. Nothing like the movie based on it (like, at all) - it's a coming-of-age with a 17-yr-old MC who discovers he can 'jump' (teleport) to anywhere he can visualise clearly in his mind. He uses it to escape his abusive dad, then later to rob banks and win the 21yr old girl of his dreams (who is way better than the film version). He's also being hunted by the NSA who want to use his powers.
It is such a good book. And the sequel, REFLEX, is also a good read - except it is set 10 years later and involves some pretty grim brainwashing/torture, Pavlov style.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
STITCHING SNOW was Snow White in space, and I loved it.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
So I went to check my Amazon purchased list because I couldn't remember the name of a sci-fi I was going to recommend (ENTANGLED, by the way) and I realized I have like 5 books I don't even remember buying! It was like Christmas morning, except you know, I paid for everything. But still BONUS! Besides they were all under $2 each.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
So I went to check my Amazon purchased list because I couldn't remember the name of a sci-fi I was going to recommend (ENTANGLED, by the way) and I realized I have like 5 books I don't even remember buying! It was like Christmas morning, except you know, I paid for everything. But still BONUS! Besides they were all under $2 each.

What is Entangled about? I looked up the title and there is about 500. Is it about witches? If so, the first in the series is free right now on kindle.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta

Alone was the note Cade knew best. It was the root of all her chords.

Seventeen-year-old Cade is a fierce survivor, solo in the universe with her cherry-red guitar. Or so she thought. Her world shakes apart when a hologram named Mr. Niven tells her she was created in a lab in the year 3112, then entangled at a subatomic level with a boy named Xan.
Cade’s quest to locate Xan joins her with an array of outlaws—her first friends—on a galaxy-spanning adventure. And once Cade discovers the wild joy of real connection, there’s no turning back.

Not the greatest book I've ever read, but I liked some of the interesting ways she approached science fiction. I think I gave it 3 stars. Maybe 3.5. I did really enjoy reading it and I plan to read the sequels.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I thought the SF elements were cool in Entangled, but the book was a middle-of-the-road read for me too.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I need something with ghosts and/or mystery. I'd prefer contemporary, but anything with those specs would be good.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Try The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The Ghost and the Goth novels are the first ones off the top of my head.
Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff

You would think I would have more for you, as I love ghosts so.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld has ghosts and the after life and people who are between ghost world and reality. Personally loved it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
There is also The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Like The Jungle Book, except Bod is raised by ghosts in a graveyard.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess, technically, THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is MG, but it definitely is a fantastic read!:)

BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE by Katie Alender is another YA with ghosts. And I quite enjoyed APPARITION (and its sequel, ABSOLUTION) by Gail Gallant.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
In 2008 it was YA.

My story. Sticking to it. ;-P

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
jtrylch--For lyrical prose, Laini Taylor and Maggie Stiefvater are often at the top of people's lists and I love how they write. THE CURIOSITIES is an anthology with Stiefvater and her two CPs, all of whom write lyrically. It's 30 short YA stories in a variety of genres from epic fantasy to contemporary to horror. Easy and quick to sample. :)

Laini has a book of short stories, too: LIPS TOUCH THREE TIMES. I've read two of the three stories and they were excellent (It actually won The National Book Award). Her writing is on the extreme of lyrical, though. You can get by with a lot less and it will still be lyrical! ;)

I would even say Veronica Rossi's trilogy UNDER THE NEVER SKY is lyrical, yet it keeps a fast pace. Very smooth reading.