The Comedy Cabaret holiday workshop in which cray becomes a raving lunatic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I once had to dig a car out, then pop the hood, and knock the snow off the engine block and belts so the fan would turn before starting the damned thing. The wind was so strong it blew the snow into the engine compartment and packed it all tightly in all kinds of weird places.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda like that one time at band camp?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Remember Shakey the Sheep? Want to try him on again? :)

FIFY, but I don't think Tiddles could take another round. She nearly collapsed in terror the last time Twitchy came out to play.

:D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Make it go away. Do NOT turn the sheep into this. For the love of my twitching eye, please. :gaah

:chair

ETA: *breathes sigh of relief* Forgot to remove the blasted twitchy disaster that's just...*shudders* I blame you for nightmares involving sheep tonight. Way to make my work presentation stink tomorrow :p (And Cass? Why did the warm weather in Florida go away when you left? WHY?)

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
A friend looked at me yesterday and said, "you should start submitting again". This I know. But I hate the whole submissions process.
--I miss that first submission, the one back when I first decided I wanted to be a writer and send MS out into the world. I was so happy to get a rejection letter in the mail just because it had been all the way to New York, someone in the agent/publisher's office had handled the SASE and sent back a reply.

I want to be that excited again, now I know what querying really is like. LOL.

It's not like I don't have anything to sub either, I'm just not looking forward to it. The last round of subbing stuff Spring/Summer 2014 really threw me for a loop. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE writing, but I think I could do without the rest of it after that part. :D

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A friend looked at me yesterday and said, "you should start submitting again". This I know. But I hate the whole submissions process.
--I miss that first submission, the one back when I first decided I wanted to be a writer and send MS out into the world. I was so happy to get a rejection letter in the mail just because it had been all the way to New York, someone in the agent/publisher's office had handled the SASE and sent back a reply.

I want to be that excited again, now I know what querying really is like. LOL.

It's not like I don't have anything to sub either, I'm just not looking forward to it. The last round of subbing stuff Spring/Summer 2014 really threw me for a loop. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE writing, but I think I could do without the rest of it after that part. :D

I'm working on a sub tonight. I am motivated by the success of a person I met on AW who is doing very well.

Are you looking at subbing short stories? Right now there are a ton of calls for subs out there. It really is a good time for that sort of thing.

Having read your work, I think you have a much better chance of acceptance letters than myself, so I wouldn't fret.

I remember my first fiction sub. It was when I was 18, there was no internet, and I was a horrible writer that wrote terrible, sentimental and pithy crap. I cannot think of a single sentence I wrote back in those days that would in any way be usable today.

But it felt good to sub it out. It felt like I was being a writer. And maybe I was. A shitty one, though.

Please sub it out! You are awesome and more of the world needs to see it.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a sub tonight. I am motivated by the success of a person I met on AW who is doing very well.

Are you looking at subbing short stories? Right now there are a ton of calls for subs out there. It really is a good time for that sort of thing.

Having read your work, I think you have a much better chance of acceptance letters than myself, so I wouldn't fret.

I remember my first fiction sub. It was when I was 18, there was no internet, and I was a horrible writer that wrote terrible, sentimental and pithy crap. I cannot think of a single sentence I wrote back in those days that would in any way be usable today.

But it felt good to sub it out. It felt like I was being a writer. And maybe I was. A shitty one, though.

Please sub it out! You are awesome and more of the world needs to see it.

Awww, Ted you're gonna make me cry, you sweetheart you! :Hug2:

I'm not subbing any shorts at the moment. The only ones I have are middle grade anyway. ;) I tend to be too wordy to write good shorts. :D

I have 2 different YA SciFi/fantasy novels, both about 60k, which I was thinking of subbing. Kind of 'little mermaid' type theme, guy's POV though, and set modern day with a creepy research facility.

I keep scribbling on the last few books of the Shadow Born series too, but with the first book having been published no one wants to touch it. The publishers show a lot of interest but tell me it's too complex, probably cuz it's actually stretched over 4 books - and I don't have any elves or kings or anything, or enough sexiness to it, just the hapless hero who ends up being a planet-devouring scourge. :D

I've also been working on a sort of 'Alien/Predator' themed romance, but I've got writer's block on that one for the ending.

Where do I come up with these crazy/twisted ideas. Laugh!

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement. double hugs! :Hug2: I hope your sub is going smoothly, nothing like trying to write a query/synopsis/polish chapters, and all that. :)

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Have you never had to dig your car out of snow? Or scrap ice off the windshield?

No, Ted. I've lived in Los Angeles County my entire life, even college. Coldest it's ever been here is a couple of early mornings in the high 30s which warmed up right away. No snow ever. I've gone skiing/snowboarding maybe 5 times - Utah, Yosemite, Big Bear, Arrowhead and Mammmoth, and it's never been that cold. I'm honestly really inexperienced with this sort of thing. And I admire you all for dealing with it on a daily basis. Don't think I could.

And Cass - invite Mr. Charming over already, for Pete's sake!

Good luck on your subs, Ted and PD! Awesome. I need to get back in the game, too. I miss writing.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My blood has thickened up slowly this year. Usually I adapt to the cold faster but with getting sick and a few other things, it just hasn't happened. I hope that soon I'll be more adapted.

The sub I'm working on is a flash piece I wrote for the FFC on Sunday. If you folks aren't aware of that, it's over on AW chat. Every Sunday night at 8pm EST a prompt is posted and we have 90 minutes to come up with a flash fiction piece based around that prompt. For some reason, I have had great luck in coming up with stories out of that.

If you haven't tried it, I certainly recommend it. It's a lot of fun and gets the juices flowing.

PD, I have no idea where you get your ideas. I'd like to think I'm rubbing off on you somehow. :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was this and not the realization that the "signs" in the stars are all culturally imposed in the first place?

I, for one, have only ever found utility in the Chinese zodiac, because it results in fun things like saying "Beware the Monkey" and means them with complete seriousness.

And by "utility" I mean "amusement."

Ha. You were born in the year of the Bunny, right?

I didn't realize congratulations were in order for 35K, cray.

:partyguy: :partyguy: :partyguy:

I hope you reach that lollipop soon. It's tiring just watching the struggle.

I find those little three-fingered hands very disturbing. But yeah, congrats, Cray. :D

Life is much too short to eat sub-par food.

I've always wondered at single people who say "oh, it's not worth cooking for one person", and live on cereal and take-out and peanut butter sandwiches. I think I'm absolutely worth cooking for, thank you very much.

Cass, I never believed it when people called you Evil. But, here you are, talking about the most wonderfully delicious-sounding food just as I'm practically starving. You're more than mean.

*looks at peanut butter sammich beside cup of tea*

*craves cornbread and roast chicken and roasted veggies*

*weeps*

You're downright E.V.I.L.!!!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
He's from Virginia.

They cancel things when there's 1/2" of snow.

He is a wimp.

:D

I'm from Virginia...

True story:

In high school (in Newport News, Va) one year, the temperature dropped a good ways below freezing (it rarely gets that cold; very temperate place). We all wanted snow because it's true, a half inch means no school. But the snow wasn't forthcoming. So a couple of students from my high school--who shall remain nameless--got up at the crack of dawn (well okay, 2 am), went to the superintendent's house, and hosed down his car, driveway, and walkway with his garden. A nice layer of ice formed over everything in fairly short order.

Wonder of wonders, school was cancelled because of dangerous driving conditions, what with all the ice on the roadways.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
On my way back from Florida, I sat next to a young army guy stationed in Cuba who was coming home to the northeast for a visit. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and hadn't brought anything warmer with him. He'd forgotten to consider that the weather up north was going to be just a bit different than the weather he was leaving. Sweet kid, but foresight was apparently not one of his virtues.

Poor kid. I hope he managed to buy some warm stuff before he froze.

ETA:

He looked maybe 19 or 20, tops. I thanked him for his service, and he said "it's an honor." I don't know why that got to me, but it kind of did. I guess because he looked so young.
This story suggests that you were either on a bus or flying coach. I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your invitation for the pool-side Scotch party.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
We have only had one flake of snow so far but it is blowing around so fast it looks like a blizzard

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Planes, Trains, and busses are closed down up here today. And to think, we thought it was going to be a murderous weather day.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This story suggests that you were either on a bus or flying coach. I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your invitation for the pool-side Scotch party.

I was flying coach. A bus from NY to Florida would be painful.

Wait -- I had an invitation to a poolside scotch party?

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porter, you should have taped the conversation..

Status
Not open for further replies.