"Old" People Writing for Teens V

mcnorth

Gigantopithecus canadensis
Registered
Reaction score
MOD NOTE: You can find Volume I of Old People Writing for Teens here.

Volume II is here

Volume III is here

Volume IV is here

For the old people... who write for teens.

Last edited by a moderator:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, what does that even mean?

Also, isn't it time we got a new thread?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it is. I'll do that with my awesome modly powers when I get home.

And it means secret stuff is in the works :Ssh:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds ominous, like betas are something that can be released like the Kraken.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhh, I have a problem where "subplots" are concerned.

I know that feeling. I'm feeling like my novel doesn't really have that much in the way of subplots. My MC doesn't really build much in the way of relationships (apart from the love interest and a close friend who isn't a love interest in any way whatsoever (say NO to bad love triangles)) and it's first person, so I can't show more unless my MC is there when things happen.

I'm still in love with my story, but I don't want it to fall flat on it's face because there isn't enough going on. Anyone have any advice on brainstorming subplots?

JustBishop, the inside of your car looks awesome. Do rocket launchers come as standard?

Reactions: Shannon_H

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the all-new OPWFT thread, where the old people are even older, just because we've been through 4 of these threads before :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to change your subscription, if you're into that kind of thing.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just begging you, please do not add in a romantic subplot just because you feel like you need to.

With the romantic subplot, I had planned it for a trilogy, finalising the romance at the end of book one, introducing conflict in book two and finally ending it as a tragedy in book three. However, I consolidated all my good ideas into a single book, cut out a lot of crap and maintained the romance subplot. It still leaves a bitter taste on the tongue, but all in all it's a happy(ish) ending.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
JustBishop, the inside of your car looks awesome. Do rocket launchers come as standard?

Thanks! No rocket launchers, just a kid carseat in the back, fuzzy Mickey head dice, and plenty of clutter, lol.

I really need to get back to writing so I'll have something to talk about in here.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to edit using an ereader? I'm thinking of trying to do it to save paper and ink and prevent eyestrain. I'm wondering if maybe just using paragraph/line numbers would work, and making notes...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I still think you ought to resurrect the "teens writing for old people" thread. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've read things on my novels on the Kindle and made notes there, but it's really tedious with the keyboard on my version of Kindle.

So what was that super sekrit, super cryptic comment about getting betas in the previous thread? Does it relate to you, or to AW? Enquiring minds want to know! :D
It's an AW thing soon to come (like probably tonight, if I'm feeling productive). I just like to tease. :D

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to edit using an ereader? I'm thinking of trying to do it to save paper and ink and prevent eyestrain. I'm wondering if maybe just using paragraph/line numbers would work, and making notes...

I do the fast-reads of my various drafts on one, though if I'm doing notes, I'll print. I read betas on it too (yay bad eye sight) but usually jot specific notes on paper if it all.

The ancient kindles with the keyboard can do sort of in line notes where it'll link you to where you made the note in the text. Also, there are a few pricey apps for the iPad and whatnot that can give you similar functionality to commenting/track changes in Word.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I do all my editing in OpenOffice, which is what I write in. If I feel the need to make notes about what I need to edit, I write it on paper as a reminder. Usually doesn't take much. I'm more of a sight edit type of person I guess. And when I beta read, I prefer to work with a PDF that allows commenting. I'm not finding a lot of YA betas that like to work that way though. I need to get Word on my computer.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I do all my editing in OpenOffice, which is what I write in. If I feel the need to make notes about what I need to edit, I write it on paper as a reminder. Usually doesn't take much. I'm more of a sight edit type of person I guess. And when I beta read, I prefer to work with a PDF that allows commenting. I'm not finding a lot of YA betas that like to work that way though. I need to get Word on my computer.

Why can't you beta read in OpenOffice? It has track ("record") changes and commenting, just like Word. I beta for my CP all the time. He uses Word on a Mac, I use OO on a PC :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There could be cocktails. If someone else knows how to make them... :D