What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading CRESS. I have a complicated relationship with this series. I absolutely love the world, I really like the author's voice, I like Cinder, Thorne never fails to entertain me... but I keep thinking that if additional characters weren't introduced in such detail, it would have been just two or three books. The main storyline moves so slowly. It's like there is this main series and also a few side stories, and then they all got chopped up and mixed into a story salad. Every time I'm like, get me back to Cinder now plz.

I still love the series and every character, but yeah, I know what you mean. And now we've got the Queen's POV coming up in her own book. And add Winter's, plus I'm sure Jacin's too in another book. That's going to be one full and long book.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I just got CRESS out of the library. :) I totally agree with what you guys are saying. Enjoy the series but to me, nothing to write home about

I just read an adult novel called STAT10N 3LEVEN. It was fantastic. It's about present day and a pandemic flu kills nearly everyone, also the internet/electricity shuts down. So many people die. The mc is 8 when this happens. Then it's many years later and she is 28. She can't remember much about the pre-flu period and is a part of a traveling Shakespeare troupe. They go from town to town, performing. She also carries around an old graphic novel/comic book called 'Station Eleven' (it reminded me a lot of Doctor Wh0 :) ). You eventually see how all the other characters line up and connect too within both timelines.

Now beginning H0oK's R3venge..a middle grade about Captain Hook's daughter :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting STITCHING SNOW by R.C. Lewis. It's another Snow White retelling, which is coming around the same time as several other noticeable ones, and for some reason the blurb wasn't doing it for me. But I picked it up because the cover, which I guess I've never seen in person, turned out to be an apple made out of circuitry, instead of stitchery (which the small pics I've seen of it look like, plus there's the title). I read the first 2 chapters and never would've guessed from the blurb just how gritty and SF it feels. (I'm like, "Dude, we get it, it's a SF Snow White; tell me why I care more than FAIREST and WINTER coming up.") So far the narrative and setting is really engaging to me, so I hope this keeps up.

I also picked up ENSNARED so I can finish the Splintered trilogy (this does finish it, right? It's not going to be like HEIR OF FIRE, where I figured out 2/3 of the way through that there had to be at least one more book?), but I've figured out that these are not books I can read in small pieces, so I'm saving it for my next water sampling week, when I get at least 3 hrs a day to read.

BTW, FAIREST was out at B&N today, a couple days early, I think. I read those on my Kindle, so I didn't get it.

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I've read BOY HEAVEN! And oh my gosh, it's so good. It's kind of a nostalgic, beautifully written summer camp book, but with this creeping sense of something dark and not-right pervading it. Kind of 80s vibe, too. The UK cover is hideous though lol.

I want to read all of these mentioned, especially THE LAW OF LOVING OTHERS.

================

I've just finished ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins, and enjoyed it a lot - although it was a little toothache-sweet and/or wildly unlikely in places. What I liked the most was the chemistry between A and E, and the friendship/cameraderie between all the SOAP kids. Didn't like the LOLA teaser at the end though - does LOLA grow on you or is LATBND just not as good as AATFC?

Although, if you like AATFC, definitely check out UKYA writer Sarra Manning. Her books are the perfect readalike - voice, boys, MCs, and style. Apparently the Diary Of A Crush series isn't as good as her others but apart from that I highly rec her as a readalike.

Not sure if you read or not, but THE LAW OF LOVING OTHERS was sooo fantastic. Amy I think you'd LOVE it. Definitely pick it up. It got NO MARKETING from the publisher and it makes me sooo sad. The book is well written and it takes place over 4 weeks. So not a lot of character development but thats' okay. :)

I still need to read ISLA. I didn't love LOLA. Oh well. But I can't get enough of ANNA :D

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I also picked up ENSNARED so I can finish the Splintered trilogy (this does finish it, right? It's not going to be like HEIR OF FIRE, where I figured out 2/3 of the way through that there had to be at least one more book?), but I've figured out that these are not books I can read in small pieces, so I'm saving it for my next water sampling week, when I get at least 3 hrs a day to read.

BTW, FAIREST was out at B&N today, a couple days early, I think. I read those on my Kindle, so I didn't get it.
I read everything on Kindle, so a few more days of waiting... well, I'll finish CRESS in the meantime.

About the Splintered trilogy: yes, the story is over. There is a very definite ending.
I still love the series and every character, but yeah, I know what you mean. And now we've got the Queen's POV coming up in her own book. And add Winter's, plus I'm sure Jacin's too in another book. That's going to be one full and long book.
I'm very curious about the Queen. Hoping it's not one giant flashback though.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I reread THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW and THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE by C.S. Lewis in a day each -- so much fun. I always thought, as a kid, that THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW was often overlooked and totally overshadowed by L,W&W, and I felt the same reading them again 16 years later. I almost think it's better, actually. But I love the whole series.

Now I'm reading FALLING INTO PLACE by Amy Zhang, which I've had on my shelf for ages. So far, so good.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Originally, TLTW&TW was the first of the series, so it was the one that got read first, also the one that got produced into movies. TMN was sixth, I think, so you had to really stick with the series to get to it.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
After three lengthy adult novels on the trot, I've now read my first YA of 2015 and I'm two thirds of the way through the second.

First was Sexy by Joyce Carol Oates, who is the writer I have read most novels by, alive or dead. This was the third YA of hers I've read (there are five so far) and it's pretty good. It has a male lead, a sixteen-year-old boy who is attractive to both women and men, something he isn't comfortable with. This comes to a head when a male teacher of his is accused of inappropriate behaviour. In writing style, there's not a lot of difference between this and one of JCO's adult novels, and it's definitely 14+ YA because of strong language and sexual references. The difference I suppose between this and a novel like Foxfire (an adult novel, but read in high schools and banned from a few) is that Sexy is "in the moment" for its teenage lead (though in third person) while Foxfire is told in retrospect by the narrator as an adult woman looking back to events of her teenage years.

I'm two thirds of the way through Naked by Kevin Brooks, which is set in London during the punk era of the mid 1970s and the narrator (female) who plays bass in the punk band of the title. I don't know how much of this is autobiographical, but Brooks (born 1959, five years older than me) is of an age to remember the time, as I do. He certainly does know his stuff, or he's done his research. This is the fourth Brooks novel I've read (after Black Rabbit Summer, Killing God and The Bunker Diary) and like them it's definitely 14+ - strong language including one C-word so far, drug use and while sex isn't graphically described you're in no doubt that the characters are having it. It's published as YA, even though despite the generalisation above it's told in retrospect by the narrator as an adult woman. It's also a little lengthy for most YA at over 110k words (but then so is Black Rabbit Summer). Possibly it's published as YA because Brooks had published nine previous YA novels and that is where his track record and audience is. And there is a love triangle (F/M/M) developing. I'm enjoying it a lot, though it may be partly because of the subject matter, which does hit several buttons for me.

Last edited:

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if you read or not, but THE LAW OF LOVING OTHERS was sooo fantastic. Amy I think you'd LOVE it. Definitely pick it up. It got NO MARKETING from the publisher and it makes me sooo sad. The book is well written and it takes place over 4 weeks. So not a lot of character development but thats' okay. :)

I still need to read ISLA. I didn't love LOLA. Oh well. But I can't get enough of ANNA :D

Oh no, I want to read it even more now oyu've recommended it so strongly!
I've just bought several books already this week...will have to wait until the student loan comes in :)

=================

I am currently reading WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE by Trish Doller after reading lots of good reviews (and it sounded like my sort of contemp). I am enjoying it, but it's not something I'm thinking about when I'm not reading, or excited about picking up again. The main character, Callie is well-realised and likeable (and my heart aches for her so badly) but most of the other characters are slightly 2D and cardboard cutout, like the Greek family, Kat, Connor, and even Alex. I'm hoping the ending is good enough to make up for the disappointing middle.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Becca I LOVED FALLING INTO PLACE. It did not help that Amy wrote it and sold it at 17 and it's better than any of my writing like…..EVER. :tongue Made me cry!

Amy, I liked WTSSS but I loved Something Like Normal (Trish's first book the best). About a guy who comes back from a military tour, his family and coping with PTSD. Absolutely fab if you haven't read yet.

Currently reading The Girls of No Return--only 20 pgs in pretty much. About a girl who does something "bad" and gets sent to a wilderness school in the middle of nowhere w/other girls. Live in cabins. Go to classes. But have no electronics, etc. They go on a solo canoe trip sometime in the book so that should be interesting. Plus I am so curious WHY her parents sent her to this camp… have no idea!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Reading MIXED - MY LIFE IN BLACK AND WHITE by Angela Nissel. Only a couple of pages in and I'm totally hooked. Her life sounds interesting and her writing style is engaging. Not YA and not fiction, but still intriguing.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the Lunar Chronicles, but i have a few issues with them. One of the major things is that I don't feel a deep connection to the characters like I do in some other books. Also, for some reason, I have no interest in reading Fairest. I'm just ready for Winter to come out.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I've had Throne of Glass on my Kindle for ages. (And my reading twin bought me a print copy, too.) I finally started it last night. I was missing out. Big time. Planning to glom more tonight.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Pantomime by Laura Lam.. I bought it solely because I'm always looking for diverse books to read, and I'm pleased to say it's been really good so far.

I'm also impatiently waiting to get my hands on a copy of Fairest. Really, I'm much more keen for Winter, but that's still a long way away.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby (adult contemporary).
Like most of his books really enjoyable; the author's a star in humor and characterization.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any romance in Red Rising? As a subplot maybe? Just curious...

Very little romance. The relationships are sub subplots, kind of. One is cause for action, another is slow to develop and not the main reason the plot moves forward.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished MIXED: MY LIFE IN BLACK AND WHITE by Angela Nissel. I loved it so much! It was amazing to hear her life story and understand where she was coming from. There was so much to relate to and so much to learn and her writing was funny and provocative. Can't recommend this book enough.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I think I'm going to read THE ALMOST TRUE STORY OF A PART TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexei next.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I think I'm going to read THE ALMOST TRUE STORY OF A PART TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexei next.

It's brilliant and funny! I read it with a class last year, and will read excerpts with another class this year. Alexi is a terrific writer. (PS. Title is "THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY..." And I almost belive it ;))

I'm reading an arc of one of our fellow YA AWer's forthcoming historical YA set in Tudor England, and must say it's rather fabulous so far (over half-way already.):)

KTC's latest is next.

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Sorry Ellaroni! I keep messing up that title, but every time I search on line I find it even with errors. Internet must know what I mean. It was recommended on a site that critiques portrayal of Native Americans in children's literature and set up as a good and must read example.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Sorry Ellaroni! I keep messing up that title, but every time I search on line I find it even with errors. Internet must know what I mean. It was recommended on a site that critiques portrayal of Native Americans in children's literature and set up as a good and must read example.

Yeah, well, I forgot the E at the end of his name myself, so...

Alexie also wrote the screenplay for the film SMOKE SIGNALS, which is a very sweet film with bittersweet undertones and lots of humor. Almost the entire cast is Native American too. We had it on an old VHS at work, but after the last time I showed it to students, I had to bin it for good, the tape was too ruined. The DVD only comes in Region 1 format, unfortunately, and I need Region 2...

Last edited:

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I forgot the E at the end of his name myself, so...

Alexie also wrote the screenplay for the film SMOKE SIGNALS, which is a very sweet film with bittersweet undertones and lots of humor. Almost the entire cast is Native American too. We had it on an old VHS at work, but after the last time I showed it to students, I had to bin it for good, the tape was too ruined. The DVD only comes in Region 1 format, unfortunately, and I need Region 2...

Smoke Signals is based on his short story collection Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, which is amazing. I've read all of Alexie's work and met him. He is awesome!

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER by Leslye Walton

Haunting and just beautifully written. Not sure of the ending, but not unsure of it either. A cross between Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and not necessarily a YA only.