Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Aphrodite

Helium Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
When snowed in, and although it has been a while, usually, my favorite thing was to help the culinary staff break down the palletized MREs air dropped near the dormitory by the ever helpful NYS Army National Guard.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

What book (or books) do you feel the need to re-read every so often? (And if you're one of those weird people who never re-read a book... well, we won't judge.)[SUP]*[/SUP]

For me, there's a couple of series I periodically re-read. I had the pleasure of going through both the Harry Potter series and the LOTR books because I was reading them to my daughter. It's probably the fourth or fifth time through LOTR, and my second through HP. I like the things you pick up on the second time around, or at different stages in your life.

Reminds me, I need to go through Dune again soon...

*Just kidding. Totally going to judge you.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
What book (or books) do you feel the need to re-read every so often? (And if you're one of those weird people who never re-read a book... well, we won't judge.)[SUP]*[/SUP]

For me, there's a couple of series I periodically re-read. I had the pleasure of going through both the Harry Potter series and the LOTR books because I was reading them to my daughter. It's probably the fourth or fifth time through LOTR, and my second through HP. I like the things you pick up on the second time around, or at different stages in your life.

Reminds me, I need to go through Dune again soon...

Definitely LOTR! And some of the classics I first read as a kid - Little Women, Jane Eyre, several others

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
What book (or books) do you feel the need to re-read every so often? (And if you're one of those weird people who never re-read a book... well, we won't judge.)

For me it's the Discworld (all of them, but I have my favourites), Harry Potter, Jeffrey Archer's novels and Asimov's Foundation series. I have also reread Asimov, Archer, PG Wodehouse, Herman Charles Bosman and Roald Dahl's short story collections multiple times. Lately I've been feeling an urge to also visit Narnia again...

Who am I kidding. I'll reread anything if I enjoyed it the first time round. And I haven't even mentioned non-fiction. An intervention might not be completely uncalled for.

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score

I will be rereading the Harry Potter series when my daughter is old enough. I reread a lot of books. I have read American Gods and Good Omens a number of times. I've read a few King novels multiple times as well. Not sure if it counts, but I read the Bible daily. I have read it a number of times, and I just finished reading it all the way through again on NYE.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

Oooh...so many. But the ones I've re-read, um, more than several times include: Villette, Persuasion, Dandelion Wine, King Lear, Henry V, Dealing with Dragons, Pride and Prejudice, Bulfinch's Mythology, select Discworld novels, The Things They Carried, and my complete collection of Edgar Allen Poe.

I think I might be forgetting a few.

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score

So I guess I'm one of those weirdos ;)

But if I ever do re-read, the only thing that has ever tempted me is: To Kill a Mockingbird, because it is truly beautiful, and my favourite book. I can't think any other book I'd happily read over, and over.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed

Well, I'm not quite one of those weird people, but I do rarely reread books. I have reread the early books of The Dresden Files, and that's probably the series I feel the most compelled to reread. What can I say? there are just so many wonderful books waiting to be discovered! ;)

BallooneyToon

Registered
Reaction score

*Just kidding. Totally going to judge you.

Pride and Prejudice... I used to reread it every year but in recent years I haven't kept up with that. Also Harry Potter... I like listening to the Stephen Fry audio books at work because it's comforting and I know them so well that I don't necessarily have to pay attention to them like I would if it was a book I'd never read before.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score

I rarely re-read books. I might reference them or read a page here or there. I cannot think of the last time I truly re-read a book.

TomMcClaren

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I love to re-read books but it's usually the same ones if I do. The first three of the Halo novels, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell novels, World War Z, but my favorite to re-read is also my favorite trilogy ever: The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I don't know if it's the world he created or the characters but everything is so imaginative and it just sucks me right back in every time I read them. I also re-read Xanth novels every now and then, because they're up to like 50 books and I can't keep track anymore. :p

Now, as classics go, my favorite book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo. I could read that book anytime.

SiennaBloom

Registered
Reaction score

There are a couple religious or spiritual books I have read repeatedly. One such book is "The Road Less Traveled". But I have some Christmas novels that I just love and read again. One of which is "My Kind of Christmas" by Robyn Carr.

Carrie_C

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had time enough to re-read the ones I love. So far, I've only re-read books from childhood (The Hobbit, LoTR, etc), and have found that my memory was quite off ... My next re-read will be Crime and Punishment. Some day. So many new pretties to tempt me ...

JJ-Kitts

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Stand, Bag of Bones, Insomnia - Stephen King
The Testament, The Partner - John Grisham
It just depends. I have a lot of books and before I bought a Kindle, reread lots of them. Especially in the winter when it was hard to get to the library.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
I reread five series constantly. Codex Alera and The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, Circle of Magic and its sequel, The Circle Opens by Tamora Pierce and the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

Spring has sprung! Okay, not officially, least not for two weeks, but hey, it's warmer temperatures and some people even have flowers starting. (Not me, and no one where I live, but some people. Or so I hear.) But, in light of this glorious event, I preset the new QotW:

What's your favorite sign of Spring? What is it that makes you step lightly, burst into song, and dance to music only you can hear? ... Or at least consider putting away the hats and gloves?

For me, while I like flowers, I don't have any that come up when the thaw starts. So for me, it's the return of the birds. Not the robins, because half of them are too stupid to even migrate anymore, but the redwing blackbirds.

I know we're finally on the way to warmer weather when I see them.

Last edited:

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
What's your favorite sign of Spring? What is it that makes you step lightly, burst into song, and dance to music only you can hear? ... Or at least consider putting away the hats and gloves?

My birthday :partyguy:

But seriously, I live in a fourth-floor apartment overlooking a river and holiday resort on the opposite bank. Directly across from me is a huge tree (don't know the type). Spring is here when I wake up one morning and the entire tree is covered in a layer of new green leaves.

That, and when the swallows who nest just above my parking space start crapping on my car.

Of course, over here the tree is now turning yellow and the swallows are getting ready to leave, as summer is drawing to a close, and spring (and my birthday) still a long six months off.

rockondon

Registered
Reaction score
I never re-read books. There's too many good ones out there that I haven't read yet.

As for spring - it's nice to see snow get replaced by grass.

saelyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaitlynsagepatterson.com

I re-read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series every time a new book comes out, and sometimes in-between. It usually takes about two months, and I ALWAYS fall back in love with Jamie and Claire.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score

I re-read all the time. For me, it's the sheer pleasure of reading and being able to enjoy the writing (usually) without the urgent need to find out what happens next.

I do tend to go back a lot to my favorite author (Portuguese) because she has so many subtle layers in her writing and it's just so wonderful to read. I've read my favorite from hers so so so many times. :eek:

Definitely the change in temperature. I no like the cold. My hats, though, are my favorite thing about Winter. :D

Dracomada

Registered
Reaction score
What book (or books) do you feel the need to re-read every so often?

I find myself rereading Ender's Game about every two or three years. It is my favorite book, if we go by number of times I've read it. I also regularly reread the entire set of Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett. I'm really going to miss picking up a new book by that man.

EnchantedEditing

Registered
Reaction score
SO...as to what books I read over & over again....The Chronicles of Narnia, Everything by Maya Angelou & The Harry Potter books...yep, I'm a kid in an old lady's body...but I'm cool with that

The signs of spring that crank my tractor?
The blooming of the first buttercups of the year, the sight & smell of Mountain Magnolias blooming in the mountains here in North Alabama, these things are as big as your head & smell divine....and their enormity hint at the world being so much bigger than what we see. Sitting by the Sipsey River on what has been my "spot" since high school, taking in the sights & smells...this is when I do my best writing.
mountain-magnolia