Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Now We're Cookin'!
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cella View Post
Mmmm....I have never had a hot alcoholic drink before--unless you count room temp beer, that is, so I'll look forward to trying this one night.

Thanks, pup!
You're welcome.

And just because you were nice about it, here's another of my favorites. Spanish coffee.

You can substitute Kahula for Tia Maria if you want. And for Dawgz sake, use good rum. Not that stupid Bacardi stuff.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Mmmm....I have never had a hot alcoholic drink before--unless you count room temp beer, that is, so I'll look forward to trying this one night.

Thanks, pup!
You can add hazelnut.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
Cella
Funny Little Loon

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
You're welcome.

And just because you were nice about it, here's another of my favorites. Spanish coffee.

You can substitute Kahula for Tia Maria if you want. And for Dawgz sake, use good rum. Not that stupid Bacardi stuff.
*panics silently*

*pours Bacardi behind back, down the drain*

so....what's considered good rum?

Cuz like, I'm fresh out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
You can add hazelnut.
You mean hazelnut creamer?
Cella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
I posted it on an external site, but Mac posted a link to the recipe that we used for inspiration.

It's in this holiday cooking thread from last year, right here.

And check out OFG's recipe for Swedish Christmas Porridge in the same thread. It's a bit like a lovely rice pudding with almonds.
Yes! Thanks, Lisa. I forgot the Dickens connection.

Now I'm off to check out OFG's recipe.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Quote:
*panics silently*

*pours Bacardi behind back, down the drain*

so....what's considered good rum?

Cuz like, I'm fresh out.

You mean hazelnut creamer?
Try Mount Gay. Normally between $15 to $20 per bottle, as I recall. SRSLY, about the same price as Bacardi. Only it tastes better.

Any one else have other suggestions for her?

*licks Cella's sink*
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #31
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We have Prichard's Rum here. It's suppose to be good and made the old-fashioned way. I can't say it's my favorite.

http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/

Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #32
ZoeYork
practical experience, FTW

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
Cella, thanks for asking, I was wondering as well.

I was inspired by the idea of hot buttered rye, so that's what I'm sipping tonight. Mmmm.

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
You're welcome.

For the first time this year I had something called a coffee nudge;

Good coffee
Kahlua
Dark crème de cacao
Brandy (Christian Brothers XO is fine)
Whipped cream

It was magnificent.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #34
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
For the first time this year I had something called a coffee nudge;

Good coffee
Kahlua
Dark crème de cacao
Brandy (Christian Brothers XO is fine)
Whipped cream

It was magnificent.
Very similar. And it sounds delicious.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #35
Cella
Funny Little Loon

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Try Mount Gay. Normally between $15 to $20 per bottle, as I recall. SRSLY, about the same price as Bacardi. Only it tastes better.
hmm....don't recall seeing that before, but I'll keep my eye out for it next time. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
*licks Cella's sink*
just ignore the cilantro remnants...

Quote:
We have Prichard's Rum here. It's suppose to be good and made the old-fashioned way. I can't say it's my favorite.

never heard of that one, either! Looks Like I'll be spending some quality time in the liquor aisle! thanks, AC
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #36
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Quote:

I've had the pleasure of Pusser's Rum. It's a British rum that friends who travel a lot were kind enough to share with me. It's delightful.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #37
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I've had the pleasure of Pusser's Rum. It's a British rum that friends who travel a lot were kind enough to share with me. It's delightful.
They carry it at Trader Joe's.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

What the consensus on Myer's?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #39
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:

Any one else have other suggestions for her?

*licks Cella's sink*
Myer's Dark Rum.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #40
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

Quote:
never heard of that one, either! Looks Like I'll be spending some quality time in the liquor aisle! thanks, AC
I mentioned it because it might be available in your area. I'm not sure it's sold nationwide.

There is a PBS video online about the people who make it.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #41
Cella
Funny Little Loon

I think a reasonable course of action would be to have everyone here send me a new bottle of their personal favorite--that way I can spend some time really testing them all out and seeing which one I like best
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #42
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

Nice try.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #43
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

IMO, Myer's is fine for hot buttered rum and a slew of other drinks requiring a darker rum. For Spanish Coffee, not so much.

And, no, you're not getting my rum either.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #44
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

Prichard's rum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiEWexk4fA

Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #45
Cella
Funny Little Loon

Quote:
Nice try.
Quote:
And, no, you're not getting my rum either.
Clearly, you're both too sober...
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #46
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

Did I mention I love hazelnut?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
IMO, Myer's is fine for hot buttered rum and a slew of other drinks requiring a darker rum. For Spanish Coffee, not so much.
I agree. I like Mount Gay Eclipse Silver and Special Reserve Light for mixed drinks (not on their own) but they're impossible to find here, post the closing of state liquor stores in Washington.

For light/silver rum, it's pretty much Bacardi all the time

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #48
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
I think a reasonable course of action would be to have everyone here send me a new bottle of their personal favorite--that way I can spend some time really testing them all out and seeing which one I like best
Someone already did all the work.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #49
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Even for something as simple as a rum and Coke, Mount Gay kicks ass. Be sure to use a lime.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
TedTheewen
Grand Poobah Unto Thyself

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds a lot more expensive than what I usually buy...Admiral Nelson.

TedTheewen is offline   Reply With Quote