The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, typos. I was mortified that in the first edition of my first book, back in 1999, the word 'brain' was spelled 'brian', which was bad enough, but it was the start of a sentence, so as I read it, I thought, "Who then heck is Brian?" Luckily the first run sold really well, and it was fixed before another print.

My greatest memory of my first book launch was the drive home. My husband, who has an eagle eye for any error of any sort, went through my book and pointed out every.single.typo. I'm sure there weren't many, but to me, at the time, it seemed horrific. After half an hour of this entertainment, checking cross references and notes to see if anyone had goofed anything up, he realized that this maybe was not a good way to try to be helpful. Hmm.

One of the lessons I learned was that there are many things that are outside a writer's control. I'd edited and proofread so carefully. So had my editor, not to mention the proofreaders. Everyone worked so hard to make it perfect, yet still, a few small mistakes crept in.

Interestingly, although the errors leaped from the page to me as I was so familiar with the text, no reader ever emailed me to point them out, or to ask who Brian was. :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
That's right, everyone, I've finally competed the NEW final draft of EF 1 after having to start over from an old copy. I've added scenes, edited the timeline, changed a things, thrown in non-fictional casefiles, and it's all DONE.
Big congratulations, David. That is great news and well done. Also very good luck when you send it to agenty person. :TheWave:
I'm so pleased. Today I took the time to write out a super detailed outline of the murky middle section I had skipped over in my draft. Now that it's all sorted out, I feel like I'll fly through drafting it. Yay!
Yay to you, Joy, and a woo and a hoo. :e2woo:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I have a crush on a boy and I was going to ask him out and then I found out he has a girlfriend and now I'm crushed. :( I was so ready to start dating again. He likes Game of Thrones and Motorhead and also realized that that kid who plays Joffrey on Game of Thrones was also in Batman Begins and thinks he's an ass... we are a match made in heaven. :e2cloud9: Am I evil to still want to ask him out? :e2brows:

Oops. This isn't about goals and stuff. Wait... it's totally a goal. :D

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I have a crush on a boy and I was going to ask him out and then I found out he has a girlfriend and now I'm crushed. :( I was so ready to start dating again. He likes Game of Thrones and Motorhead and also realized that that kid who plays Joffrey on Game of Thrones was also in Batman Begins and thinks he's an ass... we are a match made in heaven. :e2cloud9: Am I evil to still want to ask him out? :e2brows:

Awh... *hugs*

NottiThistledore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chatswoodspooks.com
Aw, Daniela, hang in there. It's not evil to want to ask him out. It's only evil if you do! :)

The files for my second Chatswood Spooks book are almost ready, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm currently working on edits for the third, as well as a little side project about dragons. :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Awww. :Hug2:

You're not evil to still want to ask him out. But I'd advise against it. In my experience, men who will sneak behind their girlfriends' backs aren't worth having in your life, either. So, you'd either wind up rejected and brokenhearted, or he's a scumbag. :Thumbs:

(And yes, I know I'm generalizing and being judgmental toward men. Sue me. :rolleyes:)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I think it's time to sticky this thread. :D

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I was so thinking that was a good idea. And, guess what? It was. It is. Sheesh, stupid tenses, me gets confused.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Hez, Notti, & Smish. I quickly got over it. Not worth the effort. Oh well. He's still a nice guy and probably oblivious to the fact that I was interested in him. :)

Anyway, while I'm waiting on beta feedback, I started putting together a query out of something that I had jumbled together a couple of months ago. I posted it. Naturally, it sucked up til the third paragraph. I think if I tighten the middle (which hopefully I have) and start with a new hook, I'd be decent.

I think the query has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. I mean, I'm wracking my brain over it and no matter how I start it, it just feels wrong. Luckily, I'm in no hurry. But if a query were a person, I'd punch it in the face.

Day two: spend hours on the query and accomplish nothing...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"If a query were a person, I'd punch it in the face." :roll:

I'm glad you're over the crush, Daniela. And it sounds like you've gained a friend out of it, who you have lots in common with. And if he becomes single in the future, well... :D

As for me, I'm thinking of joining a face-to-face critique group through my local SCBWI chapter. They meet twice a month. :Thumbs:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
As for me, I'm thinking of joining a face-to-face critique group through my local SCBWI chapter. They meet twice a month. :Thumbs:

I've always heard that crit groups and writers' conferences are encouraged, but it feels very impersonal. Specifically the writers' conferences. Everyone's trying to get their two cents in.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive in thinking that writing and publishing is anything more than a business. I find writing to be a highly personal thing. Boy, am I in for a rude awakening. I was never good a selling things :(

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't find critique groups to be impersonal at all. I suppose they can be, if you have too big a group. If the group is small, though, and everyone does their part (reading/writing/critiquing), they can be very useful (and great friendships can be formed). The in-person group I'm joining currently has three members; I'd be the fourth (and then the group will be closed; they want to keep it small, with no more than 4 members).

I've been in a couple excellent online critique groups, but the accountability factor isn't as strong for me in online groups. I would always do the critiques for others, but not always write my own entries. And the goal is to write, right? I think I'll feel more pressure to write if I have to drive to a location and look everyone in the face. :)

Conferences are different. They can be a bit impersonal, since the groups are so much bigger. They're more lecture-based, with agents/publishers/writers speaking. So, there's less one-on-one interaction. I always leave SCBWI workshops and conferences feeling inspired, though. SCBWI rocks.

If you have no problem finishing your projects, a critique group may not be for you; beta readers may be all you need. I would still encourage you to go to an SCBWI-sponsored workshop or conference offered in your region, though. Give it a shot. :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I don't find critique groups to be impersonal at all. I suppose they can be, if you have too big a group. If the group is small, though, and everyone does their part (reading/writing/critiquing), they can be very useful (and great friendships can be formed). The in-person group I'm joining currently has three members; I'd be the fourth (and then the group will be closed; they want to keep it small, with no more than 4 members).

I've been in a couple excellent online critique groups, but the accountability factor isn't as strong for me in online groups. I would always do the critiques for others, but not always write my own entries. And the goal is to write, right? I think I'll feel more pressure to write if I have to drive to a location and look everyone in the face. :)

Conferences are different. They can be a bit impersonal, since the groups are so much bigger. They're more lecture-based, with agents/publishers/writers speaking. So, there's less one-on-one interaction. I always leave SCBWI workshops and conferences feeling inspired, though. SCBWI rocks.

If you have no problem finishing your projects, a critique group may not be for you; beta readers may be all you need. I would still encourage you to go to an SCBWI-sponsored workshop or conference offered in your region, though. Give it a shot. :)

Hmm. I'm going to look this up. Maybe I can use with some writerly interaction. I don't personally know any writers, therefore I have nobody to bounce ideas off of. A writer's world is a lonely world, but maybe a crit group might be different.

I'm far from a social butterfly. I've actually cacooned myself and don't want to come out. :eek:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I'm not a fan of the idea of writing groups; create writing classes in school were enough to put me off.

Well, tomorrow's the day! I'm going to be sending the agent the full of EF tomorrow, whether any betas get back before then or not. I'm nor being impatient, I've just made her wait long enough, and I'm highly confident in the finished product.

Wish me luck, guys!

Dave

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Dave. Now if only I figure out how to write a query letter. :(

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hmm. I'm going to look this up. Maybe I can use with some writerly interaction. I don't personally know any writers, therefore I have nobody to bounce ideas off of. A writer's world is a lonely world, but maybe a crit group might be different.

I'm far from a social butterfly. I've actually cacooned myself and don't want to come out. :eek:

I'm also a total hermit. But I've developed some very close writer friendships online. I have two very regular critique partners with whom I email several times a week, bounce ideas around with, read each other's drafts of everything, etc. We've also become real friends, sharing non-writer stuff as well. Then I have three more I correspond with more like a couple times a month, but I know they'll read or brainstorm any time if needed.

I met all these people online, here and other places. With my first manuscript, I felt so alone, trying to get people to give me feedback. But if you just keep putting yourself out there a little bit (online or in person) you will develop up a network that's totally crucial to the writing process, IMO.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Imagine you're Don Fontaine (the movie trailer voice guy), and narrate it in your head, writing down every growled syllable :D

OH MAH GAWD. In a WORLD filled with transporting broom closets and spectacular hidden towns, ONE CHILD must figure out his father's secret past..... LMAO. I can't. It's too much. :roll: :roll:

I'm also a total hermit. But I've developed some very close writer friendships online. I have two very regular critique partners with whom I email several times a week, bounce ideas around with, read each other's drafts of everything, etc. We've also become real friends, sharing non-writer stuff as well. Then I have three more I correspond with more like a couple times a month, but I know they'll read or brainstorm any time if needed.

I met all these people online, here and other places. With my first manuscript, I felt so alone, trying to get people to give me feedback. But if you just keep putting yourself out there a little bit (online or in person) you will develop up a network that's totally crucial to the writing process, IMO.

I'm dying to be able to establish that sort of writerly relationship. I'm having trouble getting feedback on my ms and an even tougher time trying to formulate a query. So much so that I completely stripped down my query according to Nathan Bransford's "Mad Lib" formula. It helped my get to the core of what my character wants and what the goal is, but now I need to build on it. Ugh. This sucks so much. :(

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'm dying to be able to establish that sort of writerly relationship. I'm having trouble getting feedback on my ms and an even tougher time trying to formulate a query. So much so that I completely stripped down my query according to Nathan Bransford's "Mad Lib" formula. It helped my get to the core of what my character wants and what the goal is, but now I need to build on it. Ugh. This sucks so much. :(

Queries can be tough. I'm happy to help if you want to send me a draft.

And when you see someone on the boards here, or on a blog or querytracker or wherever who seems like they're in a similar place as you are and you might hit off, shoot them a private message. See where it goes from there. I've done that and had people not respond at all, or realized from their response that we're not a great match. But I've also found great friends.

Some of the big blogs have "critique-partner match-ups" - I found one of my really regular CP's on Maggie Stievfater's blog. I think MSFV does one, and also WriteOnCon. You'll find your people. :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Queries can be tough. I'm happy to help if you want to send me a draft.

And when you see someone on the boards here, or on a blog or querytracker or wherever who seems like they're in a similar place as you are and you might hit off, shoot them a private message. See where it goes from there. I've done that and had people not respond at all, or realized from their response that we're not a great match. But I've also found great friends.

Some of the big blogs have "critique-partner match-ups" - I found one of my really regular CP's on Maggie Stievfater's blog. I think MSFV does one, and also WriteOnCon. You'll find your people. :)

Thanks Joy. The reason I haven't sought out a crit partner is that I'm afraid that I won't be able to give them the time and attention that they deserve. I've become progressively busy and would feel really rotten about taking but not giving anything back.

I'm so frustrated about my query that I'm almost tempted to take on your offer to give it a read. I'm not going to do that, well, because you've been so kind to me and I'd hate to take advantage of that kindness without being able to give anything back.

Right now I'm doing a building block exercise with my query. After starting a bare-bones mad lib, I'm slowly building the meat around said bones. It actually sounds readable now. :eek: Like I've mentioned before, I'm in no hurry to throw this book into the slush pile or finish its query, but I figured I'd start exercising those query muscles. :D

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just finished editing my new middle grade. And I like it! What do you guys think of the title?

ISAAC NEWTON AND THE PINK TUTU

It's for the younger middle grade, so is very short. The word count seems incredibly low to me (under 6000) but I have counted words in similar books, and it seems about right. It's the Ivy and Bean, Roscoe Riley age group, 14 chapters, some about 500 words, others shorter.

I'm now looking for anyone interested in beta-ing? Anyone here? My betas are really into older middle grade and YA, and this is for a very different age group. I'll happily beta something short in return - I just don't have time right now for a long read.

David, I'm part way into EF, juggling writing with reading. You know it's presidents day here tomorrow, right? If you can hold off on sending until Tuesday, I can get further on reading for you. Glad you're feeling good about it, anyway. I know I picked up a couple of things in the first chapter, I'll send that to you right now. Check your email!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Britwriter! Those are generally called chapter books in the US.

Daniela, you can always just approach AW friends to see if they'd be interested in an online critique group. The worst they can say is no, and even if they do say no, I'm sure they'll be nice about it. :)

My SCBWI region helps people find critique groups, either in-person or online. So, you can also check your SCBWI regional website, if you're a member. ETA: Actually, you probably don't even need to be a member that particular service. You can probably access the regional website without being a member; my region even has an email listserv that's open to anyone.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Britwriter! Those are generally called chapter books in the US.

Ah, thanks! I was going to look this up. Does one call it a lower grade chapter book, or, just chapter book? (For the US, I mean).

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just call it a chapter book for US markets. And 6,000 words is appropriate for a CB, so don't worry about your word count. :)