Pushing It

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to a place in late August and this particular publisher requested my work in early Oct. I reached the 3 month mark and nudged. She got back to me with promising news that she was now passing it around to other editors and waiting to hear back and that she'd get back to me in "a week or so."

Well that was 17 days ago. NOW I KNOW that is not that long ago, but she said a week or so, so I was hoping to hear back then. But now as the days pass I'm thinking I was put on the back burner, or worse just plain forgotten about. I don't feel comfortable nudging again. At least not right now. I thought after a month, so in another 2 weeks or so. But again, I feel uncomfortable constantly nudging and asking. I feel like I'm pushing it too much. But I want to know the outcome, even if it's a rejection. I'm worried I'll never hear back.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this? Should I just keep waiting another couple of months till and nudge then? Or should I just stop nudging? I got so far I'd hate to give up on it. But again, I just don't want to be too pushy.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely wait. I've had a similar 'in about a week' experience with a publisher that turned into a couple of months. It was worth the wait in my case, as it ended in an offer, but I know how incredibly frustrating it can be to be waiting for so long and just wanting to know one way or the other. If it's any consolation, if this publisher is passing around your manuscript and has told you this it is unlikely she will leave you hanging forever and never give you a result.

As hard it is to do - do what the others in this thread have advised and wait a couple of months!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks guys. That's what I've been doing. Today is 3 weeks exactly and I know it's not long at all in publishing and right now I don't feel comfortable asking again.

If I don't hear from her after the 2 month mark, I may nudge then. Thanks for the responses.

etherme

Making my own luck
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eriktherme.com
Things move SO slowly in the publishing world ... keep writing and try not to focus on it. If they're interested they won't forget about you!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Things move SO slowly in the publishing world ... keep writing and try not to focus on it. If they're interested they won't forget about you!

Except when you count on them moving slowly, and then they can get so fast you can't keep up.

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
I would say give it another 3-4 weeks, at least, before you nudge. I don't think they've put you on a back burner... I work for a small publishing company myself, and we get a lot of submissions. Sometimes it just takes a while to find the time to sit down, read a book, chew on it a while, pass it around to other editors who might like it (who also have different schedules and might not be able to look at it right away)... What we hope will be a week can easily become a month. There just isn't enough time in a day.

So don't give up hope yet! I'd echo what the others have said, though personally, I think you could wait another 3-4 weeks and then gently nudge them again. A month and a half is a good chunk of time to wait without sounding pushy when you check in. :)

EDIT: Of course, you posted this over a week ago, so it'd be 2-3 weeks now? Up to you!

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it will be 5 weeks tomorrow. It's like the final countdown, haha. I thought the same thing with that too. So if I can just wait it out another 2 to 3 weeks say? Maybe a nudge would be okay then. Cause by then it will be 2 full months. I know the publishing business is super slow, but this is a bit of a different stage. She seemed to like it enough to pass it around so maybe someone is still reading, who knows.

I'm keeping silent, no nudging right now. It's just too early. I've gotten burned before, being too eager, emailing sooner rather than later and it taught me a good lesson. Try to be as patient as possible, where as I want it done yesterday. It's such a hard way to live. As I get older though, the waiting starts become normal and very expected.

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, kudos to you for being so patient! At this stage, it is so hard to wait...especially when you so desperately want to know if it's good news or not.

2-3 weeks isn't too much longer in the long haul. Best of luck to you!