questions about mailing contract

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mailing my contract this weekend :)partyguy:) and I have a couple of questions about it. In case it matters, I'm sending it to the contracts department of a large publisher.

First, should I just send the contract, or should I include a cover letter? And if I do include a cover letter, what should I put in it?

Also, how should I send it? First class mail? (As opposed to, say, priority, or with a tracking number, or something like that, not carrier pigeon or telegram if that's what you thought I meant.)

Thanks!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an editor but I would just send it first class. That's the way 99% of all business through the mail is conducted, including checks for thousands of dollars.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. What about some sort of letter? Is that necessary or is the contract itself all I need?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Editorname

Enclosed is a signed copy of my contract. Feel free to contact me if any questions arise.

Sincerely,

Author

It never hurts to have a very brief cover letter. The person opening the mail--not necessarily someone very high up--will benefit from knowing its contents and not having to page through to see if there's also a one page payment form or something, too.

Maryn, big on covers

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! This makes sense and was what I was leaning toward, but it's good to know I'm not making some sort of blunder.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Probably not the case for yourself, since it's a larger publisher, but my small press publisher specifically asks people not to send things that require a signature at the receiving end, since a lot of the people work from home, so the office address isn't always staffed.

I doubt it's worth paying the extra to send priority or tracked or anything. They're still going to take as long as they take at their end to process it, whatever day they get it. And it's not inherently valuable. If it goes astray you just sort out another copy with them.

And congratulations!