[Critique Game] Post the First Three Sentences of your Novel (moved to The Sandbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I'm at work, on my lunchbreak, but wanted to drop in for few minutes. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! (LOVE this forum!) And, Guttersquid, is it? Nifty rewritten suggestion. Funny. I actually scribbled a few different versions of those lines, and yours was one of my earlier versions of it. But when I get to revising so much, my eyes go crazy and nothing looks right. Then I just leave it as is and move on.

Maxim, is just Maxim. No nicknames anywhere in the story. And, contrary to the origins that one may expect (i.e. Russian, etc) he's supposed to be from Boston and grew up in the Bronx, lol. So the "Eh" and the over-excited exclaimation mark, is mostly just a result of how his personality/character is. Well, how I envision him in my head, anyway. :)

Last edited:

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
a - I agree ... "Hey" sounds like a better fit.
b - Also agree - that guy sounds like people are going to call him Max or Maxy. But Maxy has drawbacks. When he has a party who's going to be all excited about going over to Maxy's Pad?

Thanks for the feedback! Originally, it was "Hey" but after I began writing and my characters came alive for me, "Eh" just fit better. Obviously, that's not something you could tell from just the first 3 (or 4, technically, lol - sorry!) sentences, but, really "Hey" is definitely not Maxim. :)

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
Rats! Only 10 mins left on my lunch break. Just enough time to edit at least another page of my book. Gotta go, but see y'all again later tonight. Happy pre-Friday peoples! Bye :)

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you expressed the MC's distaste for the place and the people in it very well. Isn't this written from the MC's POV? I like this just like it is and would read on.

OH, I see guttersquid's comment. OK. I agree with guttersquid 100% on each point.

thank you for your liking it!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
From me:

As much as Clover Falone loved her mother, she despised working at The Potion and Flagon when forced to. A serving girl quit the previous night, claiming that the overwhelming stench of chemicals made her too sick to work in the tavern. This sudden situation made Miss Farlone understaffed, and desperate to find a new worker.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
From me:

As much as Clover Falone loved her mother, she despised working at The Potion and Flagon when forced to. A serving girl quit the previous night, claiming that the overwhelming stench of chemicals made her too sick to work in the tavern. This sudden situation made Miss Farlone understaffed, and desperate to find a new worker.

Love the first and second sentence! The third though to me is stating the obvious, so I would change it to something more interesting :)

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
From me:

As much as Clover Falone loved her mother,she despised working at The Potion and Flagon when forced to. A serving girl quit the previous night, claiming that the overwhelming stench of chemicals made her too sick to work in the tavern. This sudden situation made Miss Farlone understaffed, and desperate to find a new worker. Clover Falone had to fill in.

I find what's going on intriguing. That said, one serving girl quitting to desperation for a new worker seems a bit overly dramatic.

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
Nice, just a couple words I'd eliminate.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score

This is a bit telly & backstoryish for my tastes. It's not grabbing me but not pushing me away either, so I'd read on.

Thanks for posting Miss Strawberrii!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From me:

This has potential, but your treatment is a little overwritten and explain-y. I'd rather see the situation as a scene - maybe Clover actually doing the work and having thoughts of how much she resents being hauled in to cover for a servant.

I'm also confused as to whether the reference to Miss Falone/Farlone (you have it both ways) is to Clover or her mother.

I might read on, but only if I get into an actual scene in pretty short order.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
From me:

As much as Clover Falone loved her mother, she despised working at The Potion and Flagon when forced to.
Does she only despise working there when she is forced into it, or does she hate it all the time? A serving girl quit the previous night, claiming that the overwhelming stench of chemicals made her too sick to work in the tavern. This sudden situation made Miss Farlone understaffed, and desperate to find a new worker.
Most of this you don't need. In the first sentence you tell us that she hates the place, which I assume is owned by her mother. In the second sentence you can let us know why she is there tonight with a minimum of words. Something like, she was only here tonight because dadadee, dadadee. If the chemical stench is important to the story this is a good place for it, but if it isn't, we don't need to know why the serving wench quit. The third sentence is redundant.

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the first three from a mystery/thriller wip of mine:

"The police are not releasing any further information at this time. They're asking for anyone who has any information on Thomas Blake to call this number." My cell phone began to ring, filling the room with the soft sound of U2.

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
Who is speaking? After the person stops speaking, the phone rings? I'm confused.

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
This is why giving only the three lines is hard. It's on the tv, and in the next sentence the narration tells you that, but the limit is three sentences...

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
You might do something to show it was off the TV earlier than sentence four, maybe start the first sentence by indicating the voice is coming from the television. As a reader, I don't want to be confused after three sentences, so I would like to know who is speaking the dialogue before you talk about the cell phone ringing. That could just be me, though.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score

"The police are not releasing any further information at this time. They're asking for anyone who has any information on Thomas Blake to call this number." My cell phone began to ring, filling the room with the soft sound of U2.

I'm not a huge fan of openings in dialogue form. It doesn't feel very mature. I'm also a bit disoriented because the cell phone rings after the announcement has been made, so where is the narrator hearing it from? Where is he/she? (This is all information that will presumably follow). I can't say I'm hooked, though, sorry!

Okay, here's my current opening to my WIP. Any and all feedback, however harsh, is appreciated!

The stranger arrived after nightfall, sealing my fate the moment his boots touched the gravel path. I lay awake all night and sprung out of bed the next morning, determined to call upon the abbess in her study before any of the other sisters had the opportunity. It was bold of me to seek out an audience with her, but I felt I had no choice.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score

Kudos for the U2 song! Which one is it?

Railroad's suggestion is excellent. More grounding as to who is speaking would do wonders for this.

I'd also change "began to ring" to "rang" or to "immediately rang"

BTW, how many WIPs do you have going? Just curious.

Thanks for posting lrose20.

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
Kudos for the U2 song! Which one is it?

Railroad's suggestion is excellent. More grounding as to who is speaking would do wonders for this.

I'd also change "began to ring" to "rang" or to "immediately rang"

BTW, how many WIPs do you have going? Just curious.

Thanks for posting lrose20.

Thank you for the suggestions. As for the wips, God, I always have several. They're not all ones I'm actively working on though. My problem is I'm fairly decent at thinking of beginnings for stories, but terrible at completing them

Willow M Stevens

Bending but not breaking
Registered
Reaction score

My confusion here is that, although I recognized that it was some kind of announcement, the close proximity of the recommendation to call a certain number followed by the phone ringing led me to the wrong conclusion that someone had called the number posted on TV, and that's why the MC's phone is ringing. So, as you clarify in further sentences, I would have had to revise my initial conclusion. What others have mentioned about clarifying would be helpful.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
The stranger arrived after nightfall, sealing my fate the moment his boots touched the gravel path. I lay awake all night and sprung out of bed the next morning, determined to call upon the abbess in her study before any of the other sisters had the opportunity. It was bold of me to seek out an audience with her, but I felt I had no choice.

I think you should delete the "sealing my fate" in the first sentence. It's like hitting the reader over the head with obvious foreshadowing. It doesn't really say anything other than (something is going to happen). I'd suggest some type of emotion the MC feels regarding the stranger arriving.

Otherwise, this is pretty good and I'd read on.

Thanks for posting casualrungal.

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
All was deathly still. And quiet. Thus, the Silent Forest was quite appropriately named, Eliza thought.

Last edited:

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
All was deathly still. And quiet. Thus, the Silent Forest was quite appropriately named, Eliza thought.

Well, all three of your sentences sound redundant to me Smeasking. Nothing really grabs me here. Now, if you had some bamboo in the Silent Forest, that would be a totally different thing!:)

How about if you have Eliza do something in this forest instead of just thinking about how quiet and still it is? That might be much more interesting.

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.