Editing a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place for this thread, if not apologies, I'm still learning.
I'm trying to edit my novel from this past Nanowrimo, but I'm not really sure how to go about it?
I was wondering if any of you lovely people have tips, checklists, or anything of that nature regarding editing novels?
Thanks!

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
That's not a bad list to start with. Grammar comes easy to me. Usually if you read it aloud and it sounds a little off, something needs to be changed. As far as editing for actual story, that's where I run into problems. I will follow the rest of this thread for advice on that myself.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
My trouble is that I just don't see many problems on my own. It's not that I don't know the rules of grammer or at least the basics. It's as if I read it as it should be, not as it actually is. I have a bit of ADHD so I don't doubt that is a major reason. Even when I leave the work alone for a while, when I come back to it, I still have the same problem. I do spot a lot of stuff, but I leave things in that I can't believe I did not notice.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I actually just found this checklist on Pinterest. Is it everything you need to look for? No. Should you fix everything on it? Maybe not. But it seems like a decent place to start. This book, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, also comes recommended, though I haven't read it yet.

That's a great list! Thank you TAMaxwell.

I have read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, and found it amazingly helpful.

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those that doesn't always spot my problems. The check list is a great place to start though.

ArtisticRabbit

is actually a seal. :I
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a printer, you also may find it easier to make a hard copy. I've found that reading it on paper keeps me from being distracted by the computer and I can slowly go through the draft line by line. And there's plenty of room to make notes and scribbles without having to worry about keeping the format neat.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is a great place to start. I also thoroughly agree with ArtisticRabit - the best way to self-edit is to print out a hard copy of your manuscript and go through it with a red pen - you'll catch things in hard copy that you won't in digital.

Also, if you're having a really tough time, it might be time to get another reader/editor to take a look at it. There are forums on here just for that purpose and there are a number of us editors floating around AW too. If you want to share what genre you're writing, I can probably recommend one or two.

RhodaD'Ettore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
goinpostalnj.blogspot.com
I take care of the grammar/syntax first. Then I give it to my mother (who needs everything translated for her)... and when she questions something, I realize that I need to expand on that topic a bit.

For example, in Jane's Journey, an Irish woman comes to America in 1820. I apparently did not give enough details as to why she was coming to America instead of the husband. So i needed to elaborate more on that.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Work from big picture down to the little details.
AND TURN OFF EMOTIONS. Look at each sentence from a strictly analytical point of view: Does it make sense? Is it plausible? Is there any information needed that would clarify things?

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
JAR beat me to it. I also recommend taking a look at Holly Lisle's approach.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I've written a few posts about editing on my blog if you want to check them out.
http://beckyblack.wordpress.com/tag/editing/
Including a full description of my usual editing method for novels which I've gradually refined over the years.

And I agree with Chompers, about "TURN OFF EMOTIONS". Whatever method of editing you choose your attitude to the editing is key. Are you prepared to put the needs of the story first and be as ruthless as is required?

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
TAM--I read Self Editing for Fiction Writers and quite enjoyed it. Another good one is Revision and Self Editing by James Scott Bell. I'd recommend that one even more. In fact, after reading the James Scott Bell book, I felt like a much better writer.

I know, I know: "You can't learn everything about writing from books, Randi Lee." --However, you can learn something. :)

Best of luck.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to add the value of beta readers in the pre-editing stage. Are you confident in your plot itself, in your characters, in your pacing? Beta readers can help you pinpoint troublespots in these areas, then later, if you find a line-by-liner, they can help you fix troublesome sentences that you may have missed in your own self-editing process.

But of course, with beta readers, you want to give them your very best work. So do what you can on your own, then ask for help from fellow authors and from readers. :)

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all, I never expected so many responses. All very useful, each in their one way. Thanks again!

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
It's funny, but even though I edit/rewrite each page as I go, I keep everyone of your checklist items in mind.

This is the list I wished someone had given me when I started my first revision. I completely ruined my manuscript with cleanup checklists and had nothing to point me toward content editing. I've found that as I gain experience, more of these things are cleared in the writing stage, but I still check them all before I call it done.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Work from big picture down to the little details.

Good advice, particularly with a Nanowrimo project.
9 x's outta 10 it's gonna need an overhaul, the big picture.
When you get that settled: characters, story, sequence, etc then commence with the details: spelling, typos, descriptions, etc.
Otherwise you may wind up fixing stuff you're going to be deleting.
G'luck.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I actually just found this checklist on Pinterest. Is it everything you need to look for? No. Should you fix everything on it? Maybe not. But it seems like a decent place to start.

I don't think this list is a good starting-point.

It covers small things, which really should only be considered once you've dealt with the bigger things like plot (because otherwise you'll end up having to deal with the smaller things again, after the bigger things are sorted out).

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this list is a good starting-point.

It covers small things, which really should only be considered once you've dealt with the bigger things like plot (because otherwise you'll end up having to deal with the smaller things again, after the bigger things are sorted out).

ITA with this. The items on that list are useful, but should be saved for a final round of revision. Editing for content, flow, style, voice, pacing, theme, etc., should come first.

In addition to Self Editing for Fiction Writers, I'm going to recommend Thanks, but this isn't for us by Jessica Morrell. Very in depth look at common mistakes and bad choices made by inexperienced writers. Reading it has been eye-opening for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.