G'Day

February

Registered
Reaction score
My stepmum advised me to add kinky sex to my novels last time I saw her, because of 50 Shades.

I didn't have the heart to mention the sex scenes in my last book. :tongue
Hilarious!
My mum has just downloaded them to her Kindle! And I worry about what she's been reading in my books!

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
My stepmum advised me to add kinky sex to my novels last time I saw her, because of 50 Shades.

Oh my lawd, that book. I fondly remember the time I thought Twilight was bad...
I'm sure worse things have hit shelves in the past, though, we just don't remember them.

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
And I worry about what she's been reading in my books!

Is it awkward, having your mum read your books? Because I get terrified just showing her a short story or an excerpt, even if it's totally harmless.

February

Registered
Reaction score
Is it awkward, having your mum read your books? Because I get terrified just showing her a short story or an excerpt, even if it's totally harmless.
I didn't let my mum read anything I'd written for years, and now she has and loves it!
Scarey!

One critical comment I had from an older man who read my first manuscript was - " they had been on the beach all day, how come they didn't have a shower before having sex?"

Um, durr! Have you never been spontaneous in your life before?
If that was the only criticism, then ef ya mate!

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
Too true!
Although, in his defense... the sand would get everywhere. :D

I honestly don't think I'd have the guts to show random strangers my manuscript just yet. But it IS the first draft, and they say the first draft is guaranteed to be awful.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've always used my own name, maybe I should go by something else. Ohhh, my first book is called Something Else!

Funnily enough Shades Of Grey is by EL James

I'm EA James. Have had a few funny comments from friends about that!

If you're not yet published, and are writing in the same genre, I'd seriously consider using a different pen name.

February

Registered
Reaction score
If you're not yet published, and are writing in the same genre, I'd seriously consider using a different pen name.
I don't go with the first two initials just my first and last name, and although I've mentioned sex here quite a lot so far, my books aren't in the same genre at all.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
How's life in the Navy treating you?

I'm trying to wade through my final 3 assignments for this year of Uni... Then an exam. I'll be so glad when it's over!

I only got 60% for a poetry essay. Blech. So long as I pass that poetry class, I don't care anymore.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
So far, it's great! Being in boot camp and on base, you get used to being around other sailors and having it just taken for granted that you're serving. But whenever I go off base, people look at me differently, hold open doors for me, give me extra stuff for free, thank me. I feel like a celebrity, lol. Kids stare at me all wide-eyed. It's cute. It's also a reminder of how much responsibility comes with the uniform and the very real fact that I'll soon be deploying to a war zone where people want to actively try to kill me, lol.

Other than that, it's great! Good pay, great benefits, great esprit de corps. I love it and hope to be in for 20 or 30 years.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, damn. I always pictured you as a giant talking precipice.

But yeah. I probably looked girly before, since I was really skinny. I gained like 25 pounds, mostly muscle though, so not anymore. :p

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. You don't see too many muscly women around. Or at least I don't - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? :)

LOL. Just had a thought. I bet you'll see lots of cliff faces when you're deployed and sailing around the world.

I used to walk along a cliff face by the ocean when I was younger. Only really when I had the flu... The sea air really cleared my gunk out, at least for a few hours.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
There were some muscley ass women in my ship at boot camp.

I used the gas chamber to clear out my gunk. It also got rid of my pink eye. Yay!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
You don't really have a choice. If you don't do it, they give you a refusal to train and kick you out. It wasn't too bad though. Just burned a little and made you cough a lot. I drooled a little when I went outside though lol.

It really does clean your sinuses out really well though.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Well the main reason they do the gas chamber is so you see just how well the gas masks work. You go in with them on and then take them off once they fill the chamber with gas. It's pretty nuts, actually. But everyone gets sick in boot camp and on the ship. You live with 80 other people, and it happens, haha.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Oh, how things evolve...just the way we'd probably expect them.

We've gone from booze, to food, to sex, to um, the flue, and oh, boot camp. I'm sure we'll be back at the grog soon. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't that make it a Slushy type of concoction? Because I'm fine with that. :tongue

We had our first day of Summer in SA the other day. It was horrible. It's cooled down again since then, but geez, I hate the hot weather. I need to move to Melbourne or Hobart!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Today here wasn't too bad. At all. We've been having really hot weather for a day or so, then really crap weather for a day or so. Bit like being on a merry-go-round.