Sherlock [BBC's contemporary adaptation]

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Oh my lord... Sherlock Holmes is back on the BBC in 'Sherlock'-- and what a contemporary ride!!!

You can tell it's done by the writers of Doctor Who. Dark, full of suspense, mystery, and just damn well hilarious in parts.

I loved the contemporary twist on the traditional 'it's three pipe case', now, with Sherlock trying to kick the habit, 'It's a three patch case.'. And it has twists on many of Doyle's past novels.

But in all of it, with how dark (and young) Sherlock is himself -- loved it. Really, really loved it.

Annnnnd hate it -- really, really hate it because the concept isn't mine.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
SP, I don't think I've been this excited in a long time. The whole family loved it.

Reaction score
My attitude was, "Ugh. Why do they have to fuck about with classic books? If they want to adapt them, why not stay true to the original?"

But, with this 'n' that, I had nothing else to do, thought, "Give it a chance," and was very glad I did.

I may go so far as to buy the box set when the DVD comes out.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder if it'll come to BBCA. I hope so.

ETA: Apparently it'll be on Masterpiece Theater at some point this fall. That's promising. :D

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
De, you'll love it!!!

SP, they get you like that, don't they!!!! :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Vein! Much appreciated. I'll put it on my wishlist as a reminder.

And, yes, Ed, there's two different formats.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am sure you can get region 2 right away from amazon.co.uk. New Zealand is region 5--and a lot of things never even get made in that format :(

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the second installment of Sherlock, unfortunately missed the first one. I liked modern twist. The suspense and comedy were well done in my opinion. I'll definitely be watching the next one. I read the books when I was a kid and enjoyed the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies. Funny, later tonight the Robert Downey version is on and I'll check that out, to compare. I understand that one is updated a tad as well. It must be karma, I watched a documentary on Joseph Bell earlier in the week.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I love that they introduced all three of my favorite elements of the Holmes mythology (Moriarty, Mycroft, and Lestrade) so quickly.

EDIT: Should have watched the whole episode first. LOL

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Overall, I liked it. Looking forward to next Sunday. The depiction is a bit annoyingly similar to the current Dr Who IMHO.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Watched it on Masterpiece Mystery last night and loved it! Friend of mine had been going on, then another sent me an email noting "A Study in Pink" was airing.

Totally faked me out about the mysterious guy (you'll know who I mean). Adored the fact that so many people immediately wondered in Holmes and Watson were a couple! All those lovely twists on "A Study in Scarlet". Don't agree with some critic who characterized Holmes as high-functioning sociopath. He seems a very odd duck, but far from an evil or cruel or even heartless one. Makes perfect sense to me to make increasingly clear why these two men are destined to be such close friends--how, in other words, they are alike (which is actually in quite a few crucial ways). This follows the books, in that Watson was an intensely bright man who eventually started picking up on some of Holmes' ways.

Eagerly looking forward to more!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sociopaths aren't necessarily evil, cruel or heartless. It's about how they relate to other people and to society. A high-functioning sociopath can do well in society. A lot of the leaders of big businesses have these tendencies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sherlock himself says he is not a psychopath, but a high functioning sociopath. I liked the bit of a bond they had at the end.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Watched it on Masterpiece Mystery last night and loved it!
Same here. I had never heard anything about it (hadn't even read this thread). Stumbled on it in the listings and was pleasantly surprised.
Totally faked me out about the mysterious guy (you'll know who I mean).
I completely fell for that too, altho I wondered how Watson was going to pursue the gal if she was evil.
Adored the fact that so many people immediately wondered in Holmes and Watson were a couple!
How great would it be--since they've updated so much already--if they just took that last extra step and made them a couple? It'd be my new appointment tv!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How great would it be--since they've updated so much already--if they just took that last extra step and made them a couple? It'd be my new appointment tv!

Sorry, I'm not with you on that. It's pretty much the only thing they can do to that pairing that will guarantee that I'll never watch it again. Not that my one viewer count will matter, but, frankly, I'm just not into slash.

Why do people always want to take close same-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them? I just don't get it. What's wrong with just being friends? (or is this a different thread?)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! It's in the States now? I'm looking it up :)

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not with you on that. It's pretty much the only thing they can do to that pairing that will guarantee that I'll never watch it again. Not that my one viewer count will matter, but, frankly, I'm just not into slash.

Why do people always want to take close same-sex friendships and immediately throw sex into them? I just don't get it. What's wrong with just being friends? (or is this a different thread?)

They play with the notion in the first episode, but only, it seems, to put it to rest.