Rejectomancy

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
19-day personal R from Apex. This is my second R from the EIC, and the first one with feedback about the story, even if it was only, "I like the voice, but I'm not looking for vampires right now." Always nice to have the "Looking forward to further submissions" at the end.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasant and informative (about their future plans) 385-day form R from Criminal Element.

They'll be making public information about their future plans later this week; if you write mystery/crime fiction, it might be worth checking their site out around Thursday or Friday.

Do those future plans include responding to subs in less than a year?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Very high praising rejection from Shimmer.

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still open to any thoughts about an appropriate market for a graphic contemporary retelling of Hades & Persephone that's heavy on the obscenity and light on anything magic (aside from the old gods). It's flash - about 850 words.

Ran across that submission call I was thinking of today - it is Midnight Echo, not Black Static.

Midnight Echo Issue 9 – Mythical Horror (edited by GN Braun)
Open to submissions from Oct 1, 2012 to Jan 31, 2013

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Ran across that submission call I was thinking of today - it is Midnight Echo, not Black Static.

Midnight Echo Issue 9 – Mythical Horror (edited by GN Braun)
Open to submissions from Oct 1, 2012 to Jan 31, 2013

Awesome. I have that bookmarked. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
8-day R from Shimmer. Very nice comments, though it's clear they're not one for flash fiction. Also, 2-day R from Clarkesworld, but that's to be expected.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they straight-out told me flash fiction is a very tough sell there, at one point. (as part of a rejection for a flash fiction story)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Well I already sent my story rejected from One Buck Horror out for consideration again :)

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I'm sorry. It's so depressing in here. I always want to stick around and be encouraging. I remember when I was doing Fender Stitch, I felt terrible every time I saw one of you post a rejection sent by me. :-/

Every one of the stories I saw here that had been rejected were excellent. This business is insanely competitive with so little money up for grabs. So depressing...

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
27-day form R from Abyss & Apex, with a note that they hope to see more work from me soon. Oh don't worry A&A...you will...you will. Especially since I want to get another story in before they close subs at the end of the month.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
RE Shimmer and flash: Oh good, I was just starting to wonder about this. Every comment I've received in response to subbed flashes was basically, "I wish this was expanded in all directions." :eek:

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. It's so depressing in here. I always want to stick around and be encouraging. I remember when I was doing Fender Stitch, I felt terrible every time I saw one of you post a rejection sent by me. :-/

Every one of the stories I saw here that had been rejected were excellent. This business is insanely competitive with so little money up for grabs. So depressing...

IMHO, a big part of the value of this thread is not to collectively mope (although sometimes that's nice) but more to share, get support, and then move on. As writers we all have been and will be rejected more times than we want to think about, and it helps to know we're not alone. It also helps to be reminded that being rejected isn't fun from the other side of the table either, though, and that sometimes a rejected story is still a very good one.

But more than any of that, what I find most empowering -- encouraging, even -- about this thread is that here's all these people, all so very different, working really hard and putting heart and soul into their work, and when they get knocked down, they stand right back up and try again. And when they have trouble getting back up, there is someone here to hold out a friendly hand and pull 'em back to their feet. It's a large good thing, made out of lots of little bits of bad, and special for that. :)

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto what zanzjan said. Rejectomancy isn't meant to be depressing, although sometimes it might seem that way, it's here to keep tabs on markets (who is actively rejecting, who isn't), and to give support if someone receives a bummer of an R.

Speaking of R's, received one from Untied Shoelaces after being bumped to stage 3. Weird thing though, Geoffrey C Porter was the first one who sent it up...and who ultimately rejected it. *scratches head* I don't think I'll ever get that place.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
True, true. I should really keep better tabs and be more supportive. I'll do my best. I tend to come in here when I'm feeling defeated. It's probably just projection. :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you what's depressing, that braggage thread. At least during the long months I don't participate! ;)