• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Random House / Bertlsmann AG

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I've been wanting to ask preditors and editors why they don't recommend Random House, but something always pulls me back (call it anxiety). Does anybody know anything on this?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Well, it kind of tells you on the P&E site.

12/15/09: Random House wants to include ebooks in the rights it signs for in earlier contracts contrary to a previous court pronouncement.

I'd say that's pretty clear. Although, to be fair, that wouldn't affect a new author with Random House because electronic publishing rights are now negotiated by agents like everything else. But it totally sucks for the authors with a long-term relationship with RH>

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really glad I checked this thread. I've a slim possibility of selling work to a division of RH, and I was wondering about epub rights. Now I know I have to get an agent involved!

You need an agent to deal with RH anyway:

We only accept for consideration those submissions which come via a literary agent. This decision has been taken in response to the vast number of unsolicited submissions we receive, which we simply do not have the time or the manpower to evaluate properly.

I find it odd the P&E don't recommend RH. Although that entry is two years old.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I have also had good experiences with Random House, but I also think it's really important for P&E to flag this issue so that writers go into it aware of a potential problem.

And yes, this is part of the value-add of having an agent.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I came here looking to see what people think about the new digital-only imprints. They don't say anything (that I can find) about royalties, advances, and so forth. It is nice that they want shorter-length manuscripts, though.

It's not really clear from the FAQ which imprint accepts YA, if any. They mention YA/New Adult in a general way, but only New Adult in the guidelines.

WriterWho

Edit . . . Edit . . . Edit . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone sent a submission to them for their new digital-only imprints? I did on 11/30/12. I have yet to hear back from them. Of course, their website states 2-4 weeks, and it hasn't been the full four yet, but we all know how that goes. I'm checking my email entirely too much. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything and how fast their response times actually are.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Keep in mind that it's the holiday season. Things tend to slow wwaaayyyy down. So add another two weeks to your wait time. Also, I think they were flooded with submissions so that will add to the total wait time as well.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed about the same time as you, WriterWho, and haven't heard back either. I'd forgotten all about it, to be honest.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a mystery to Alibi, and I just received an email from the Associate Editor saying the response has been overwhelming and it's taking longer than expected to get back to us.

WriterWho

Edit . . . Edit . . . Edit . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update for any wondering about their response times.

I received my rejection letter last night from Hydra's editor. I originally submitted on 11/30/12, so it took around five weeks for a response. The editor was extremely polite, her words kind. She also encouraged me to submit to Flirt after I asked if it was allowed, so I'll be doing that today (it was really a toss-up on which to originally submit to). Anyway, I hope everyone who has submitted to them receives better news. My experience with them so far has been courteous, not to mention swift with her friendly responses.

Good luck to all!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Erk, I'd forgotten again about my sub to Flirt. I wonder if their response times are running about the same as Hydra's. If so, I will probably hear pretty soon. Good luck, WriterWho! It's good to know they're okay with us subbing to more than one imprint.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Received my R from Alibi today. Was a little upset that they didn't have my title correct--it made me question if they'd actually read my sample because the title includes the setting name, and the setting name is all over the sample and the pitch. My title is "The Spirit of StoryWorld" and they changed it to "The Spirit of the Story World" (which kind of implies a different meaning). Anyway, I subbed in early December. Good luck to everyone else!

ETA: I noticed at the end of the rejection letter that the editor said he could provide specific feedback by request, so I asked for that. I think that's very nice and should alleviate my concerns about the sample not being read.

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Got my no today from Flirt for my sub sent on 11/30.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
For those keeping track of wait times: MS sent 12-15-12 Partial requested- 1-11-12 Pretty decent turn around time IMO. Edit-Forgot to add MS was sent to Loveswept and the lady heading up that line, Sue Grimshaw, has a great reputation in the romance community.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I asked Sue Grimshaw about the heat level that they're looking for in their Loveswept line, 'cause if you've ever read any of my work you know I'm filthy. ;)

From 1(sweet) to whips & chains, LOL

We hope to represent all subgenres within the romance category.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
For those keeping track of wait times: MS sent 12-15-12 Partial requested- 1-11-12 Pretty decent turn around time IMO. Edit-Forgot to add MS was sent to Loveswept and the lady heading up that line, Sue Grimshaw, has a great reputation in the romance community.

Best of luck! BTW, I got a very helpful critique from the Alibi editor.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS BEFORE???? I'm going to submit my previously pubbed romance that doesn't have a current home. But first, I'll go over it because I wrote it a gazillion years ago. I'm sure it can use some grooming.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Well I got a response back, and rather quickly. She passed because they have several books with a similar premise. She invited me to sub again, which I'll probably do, and was super nice. :D