Once Upon a Time

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
My willingness to suspend disbelief does not extend to plot holes. All they need to do to fill it is explain it away somehow.

Other than that, the show was bland and boring. Background noise while I'm doing homework.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm not obsessed. :)

Yeah gotta apologise for using that word, I didn't think you were. But I have seen others in other threads really go to gleeful town on world building and I'm getting exhausted by it. Harry Potter has holes so huge you could drive a truck through it, it's still pretty awesome.

I guess my other thing is people seem to often treat these serial shows like one episode is a movie and must be a complete entity leaving nothing for the next episode. They ask all these questions and accuse the show of not answering them and therefore being full of holes etc, when then the following episode the show does just that. I just wish some people were a bit more patient is all.

I don't know why these days, but I feel like a big softy, wanting to give people a chance. I'm tired of things being judged too quickly, and not being given a chance to grow (maybe it has something to do with how I feel authors these days have to have a massive success right out the gate or their publisher dumps them, I dunno - I just feel like no one allows people to improve by doing, to be nurtured. That's why so many shows fail, because there is so much pressure on that one pilot that they have to be so careful and wind up making mediocre pilots trying to please everyone - and in the end not pleasing anyone). Sure, we think cold unfeeling Hollywood when we see network TV, but I know the people who are behind the scenes, the passionate writers, the actors beyond thrilled that they finally landed a series, costume designers, special effects guys, all these people who just want to work. And I just want them to keep working. Especially since most of their jobs these days are being replaced by reality TV.

Now taste is another thing, if you don't like the show, you don't like the show. But if you think there's merit, I say let's try to give things a chance.

Last edited:

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Yeah gotta apologise for using that word, I didn't think you were. But I have seen others in other threads really go to gleeful town on world building and I'm getting exhausted by it. Harry Potter has holes so huge you could drive a truck through it, it's still pretty awesome.

I guess my other thing is people seem to often treat these serial shows like one episode is a movie and must be a complete entity leaving nothing for the next episode. They ask all these questions and accuse the show of not answering them and therefore being full of holes etc, when then the following episode the show does just that. I just wish some people were a bit more patient is all.

I don't know why these days, but I feel like a big softy, wanting to give people a chance. I'm tired of things being judged too quickly, and not being given a chance to grow (maybe it has something to do with how I feel authors these days have to have a massive success right out the gate or their publisher dumps them, I dunno - I just feel like no one allows people to improve by doing, to be nurtured. That's why so many shows fail, because there is so much pressure on that one pilot that they have to be so careful and wind up making mediocre pilots trying to please everyone - and in the end not pleasing anyone). Sure, we think cold unfeeling Hollywood when we see network TV, but I know the people who are behind the scenes, the passionate writers, the actors beyond thrilled that they finally landed a series, costume designers, special effects guys, all these people who just want to work. And I just want them to keep working. Especially since most of their jobs these days are being replaced by reality TV.

Now taste is another thing, if you don't like the show, you don't like the show. But if you think there's merit, I say let's try to give things a chance.

Hear hear!!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Harry Potter has holes so huge you could drive a truck through it, it's still pretty awesome.

Agreed!

As for the worldbuilding...well, the frozen-time aspect, anyway...I'm willing to roll with it.

I just wish some people were a bit more patient is all.

Hey, I'm looking forward to seeing why the Evil Queen hates Snow White so much!

I so hear you on this. On so many levels.

My frustration as a viewer is that networks yank series after a sneeze, you know? I feel so betrayed by networks for killing series that I've enjoyed (Kings, anyone? Or Flash Forward? Or that awesome show last year about a grifter in Texas who had two wives and two lives...and the show was killed after just two episodes) that I'm no longer willing to watch things that sound only slightly interesting, because I'm fairly certain they'll be canceled. I hate investing my time, and my trust, only to have that thrown in my face when a series is yanked due to "poor ratings." What does that even mean in a world where there are a million channels and media options to view content?

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I enjoyed it. Look forward to what I hope is more depth of character, and just heard Kristen Bauer--the actress who plays Pam on True Blood--will be the evil fairy Meleficent.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you for posting this. Nothing that annoys me more is someone who just comes to a thread like this to blather on about how bad a show is.

And they do it on a weekly/daily basis.

Sure, some of us gripe about plot holes or have complaints, but for the most part, I like sitting back and enjoying myself. Being a writer/artist hasn't jaded me. When I was in my late teens and early 20s I thought being jaded was "cool," and well, yeah . . . I guess they call that "emo" now.

I'm not interested in trying to prove to others just how much something sucks. I can't stand CSI type shows. And ya know what? I don't traipse over to those threads and talk about how crappy they are. I just stopped watching.

I think there's a difference between someone offering critique of a show and someone who says "omg, I Haaaaaaate it, it's sooooooooooooo stupid...." and yet they keep watching it. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

As for the last episode, I felt that it was weaker than the pilot, but I'm still having fun. :)

MackenziLee

we are a sensational team
Registered
Reaction score
I loved seeing Cameron from House (Can't for the life of me remember that actresses name....) as well as Ginnifer Goodwin. Mostly I just love her hair. I will keep watching. The pilot had promise. Anyone else think it's werid that there are two fairy tale shows that popped up at the same time? Personally I'm much more interested in this one than Grimm.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Okay, can someone please explain to me how time has supposedly frozen in Storybrooke -- and yet there are days and nights, clearly showing a passage of time -- and Henry grew from a three-week old baby to a ten-year-old boy? What am I missing? Even if it was 28 years of the same day, that wouldn't work with Henry growing from a newborn to a tween boy.

Or am I supposed to say, "It's a fairy tale, just roll with it," and leave it at that? ;)

I say roll with it.

Clearly, time hasn't really frozen. I think what that means is that maybe nothing ever changes there. Like no one could get pregnant, get married, etc. Nothing changed. And nobody remembers enough to realize it never changes. Something like that.

I like the show, but I fear this would have made a better movie than series. Not sure if they can keep this up.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, can someone please explain to me how time has supposedly frozen in Storybrooke -- and yet there are days and nights, clearly showing a passage of time -- and Henry grew from a three-week old baby to a ten-year-old boy? What am I missing? Even if it was 28 years of the same day, that wouldn't work with Henry growing from a newborn to a tween boy.

Or am I supposed to say, "It's a fairy tale, just roll with it," and leave it at that? ;)

The way I see the situation, Henry is outside of the curse because he's Emma's child, and she left the realm through the enchanted tree before the curse touched her.

Since he's growing up in a town where the people don't seem to change as each day-week-month passes, he darned well should notice something is wrong.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved seeing Cameron from House

THAT'S who it is! I couldn't figure it out, but she looked so familiar...it drove me crazy!

I watched the first 2 episodes this morning before work and fell in love. I love it. I think it's an awesome premise. I like the characters. I get chills and goosebumps, and my heart rate speeds up a little bit during parts of it. I love it. :)

I'm hoping to have time to catch up on last night's episode tonight.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Lana Parilla bothered me during her season of 24. The writing there was brilliant, but her performance left me always scratching my head. She is worse here. When combined with a cast who seem to have skipped or failed Voice & Diction--almost to a man--I'm out.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Immediately fell in love! And Cameron as a badass with a red leather jacket is a major plus.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Lana Parilla bothered me during her season of 24. The writing there was brilliant, but her performance left me always scratching my head. She is worse here. When combined with a cast who seem to have skipped or failed Voice & Diction--almost to a man--I'm out.

She's bad here because she's just an evil, smug info-dump. That's really all she's done these past few episodes, showing up at bad times and giving information.

Mr. Gold/Rumpelstilksin is by far the show's best villain.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
The more I watch this show, the more I wish they'd gone with Fables instead. The woman who plays the evil queen/mayor would have been perfect as the Fables version of Snow White.

If that sheriff/cop turns out to be a werewolf, it's call-the-lawyers time.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
The more I watch this show, the more I wish they'd gone with Fables instead. The woman who plays the evil queen/mayor would have been perfect as the Fables version of Snow White.

If that sheriff/cop turns out to be a werewolf, it's call-the-lawyers time.

I'm thinking he's the Huntsman. What is this Fables everyone keeps talking about?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
FABLES is a graphic novel series:

It's about story book characters in the real world (in this case NY). The difference is they know who they really are. Here's the synopsis of the first book:

When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf, to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
FABLES is a graphic novel series:

It's about story book characters in the real world (in this case NY). The difference is they know who they really are.

That sounds awesome! Adding to my TBR list now. Thanks!

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
If he starts loitering around Granny's, well, you may be onto something. ;)

He sort of has to be the BBW -- who else is there that we've seen?

Based on how the doctor (that guy from Alias) was eye-raping Ruby on his date, maybe it's him? Although I don't know how being a doctor goes with being the BBW.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
No thoughts on this past Sunday's show?

I have mixed feelings. The writing felt weak, and I wasn't too fond of the actors playing Cinderella and the Prince (and the strange choice to change up the fairytale - though I did love what happened to the Fairy Godmother).

But, I'm a Robert Carlyle fan, and he was so deliciously creepy. And I really like that kid.

In conclusion, they've got me for another week.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
But, I'm a Robert Carlyle fan, and he was so deliciously creepy.

Is he Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold? If so, I wholeheartedly agree with you. He's the main reason I'm watching. He's phenomenal. I want him and Clancy Brown together in an Ultimate Villain Face Off.