Person of Interest.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
possible spoiler

I seem to recall, in the first flashback episode with Finch, there was some tension between him and his business partner. It was also the episode where Reese followed Finch to his cubicle at work. At the end of the episode as Reese was walking out the door of the office building, I remember a plaque on the wall. It had the partner's picture and 'in memory of our founder' or something like that.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
My thing with the machine is I think there IS a machine, but it just gathers a bunch of information and Finch can rationalize it.

Did anyone else catch at the end of the episode, Finch's old friend was targeted as a danger?
SPOILERS

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

I got the impression the machine was targeting Finch's old partner as a danger to the machine itself. Immediately before, Finch had cautioned him that the machine was self-protective. That was rather scary, really.

Also, in the previous episode (I think), in flashback Finch was rather uncaring about the machine's "irrelevant" results, and the partner was upset that these were ignored. My theory is, the partner was the "good guy", something happened to him (possibly caused by a programming bug), and Finch became the "good guy" out of guilt. Probably the same incident where he got his limp.

Hey, it's a theory. Time will tell :D.

Last edited:

Wolfie

oof
Registered
Reaction score
Theory time(SPOILERS WARNING)
I think its logic that Finch's friend dies because him(and or someone) thought his numbers were irrelevant when they came out of machine. Here's the thing maybe Finch's numbers came up too? Because I feel the limp is connected somehow to the friend's death I.E A-He got the limp in a failed attempt to save his friend. B-He got the limp because after his friend died he started to what Reese does now but his first attempt ended with him getting hurt AND letting whoever he tried to save die. C-Since both of their numbers show up whatever accident they end up in kills the friend and Finch only gets a limp.
On the other hand we haven't really see of the friend enough-sure he seems nice in the flashbacks but anyone can change. Finch mentioned people abusing the machine to do whatever they want yes? And the machine saw the friend as a threat so let's assume over time, the friend somehow is able to use the machine for his selfish purposes so either a-he dies because of it OR b-Finch comforts him and a fights breaks out. The fight ends with Finch accidently killing his friend(a stretch perhaps)
Ah rambling over-so yeah eh?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the hint is more the latter--he gets that limp when "friend" tries to steal the machine (probably successfully) and ends up dead.

Wolfie

oof
Registered
Reaction score
Most likely-I really can't imagine Finch killing someone even if its just a push that ends up with a crushed skull. He's not that type of man-but as I've said anyone can change.
We'll see ^^

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there seems to be some gearing up to a revelation about the friend and the machine. Maybe we'll see in the next episode or two.

I was thinking that it seems in the beginning, this friend was talking to people about the machine, explaining its use and so on. Not quite sure why? Wasn't Finch ordered/asked to make it, for the government?
So I'm wondering - what about those people who know about the machine? Wouldn't they naturally be a threath now? Since the machine isn't used for what it was supposed to be used for?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking that it seems in the beginning, this friend was talking to people about the machine, explaining its use and so on. Not quite sure why? Wasn't Finch ordered/asked to make it, for the government?
So I'm wondering - what about those people who know about the machine? Wouldn't they naturally be a threath now? Since the machine isn't used for what it was supposed to be used for?
*VERY* interesting thought, especially since Finch is now so insistent that no one must know about the machine.

However, I understood from the premise that the machine *is* being used for what it was supposed to be, by the government. It's just also being used by Finch for a secondary purpose, unknown to the government.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, there seems to be some gearing up to a revelation about the friend and the machine. Maybe we'll see in the next episode or two.

It was explained at the beginning that the government will only use it to deal with terrorism and ignores normal crime. (So maybe full privacy-securing encryption was never implemented)

And the 'friend' is serving as a front so the government people never knew about Finch. That is why they didn't even recognize him while he was secretly observing the meet dressed as a jogger.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to bring this up earlier but I like how the writers trust us as viewers. For example, when Finch was bagging the pill bottle and then later on you hear the CIA agent say they got a tip of Reese's prints on some pills in Connecticut. The writers didn't have Finch give this huge explanation on how he is going to get the CIA off their trail for a while and how he was going to do it.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to bring this up earlier but I like how the writers trust us as viewers. For example, when Finch was bagging the pill bottle and then later on you hear the CIA agent say they got a tip of Reese's prints on some pills in Connecticut. The writers didn't have Finch give this huge explanation on how he is going to get the CIA off their trail for a while and how he was going to do it.
I hadn't really thought about it that way, but I definitely agree with your assessment. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I like how the writers trust us as viewers.

The writers didn't have Finch give this huge explanation on how he is going to get the CIA off their trail for a while and how he was going to do it.

Yep,

One of the many things I lurve about POI. ;)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Wow what an amazing episode! I love this dynamic with Finch and Reese and then with Reese and the good cop that has her morals. I must say I liked the actress that played the lawyer. I hope she comes back for future episodes.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Waaaaaaaa,

My area ran a college basketball game instead of POI last night!!!

Waaaaaaaaa :cry:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
(I must say I do wonder why the all-seeing machine keeps giving results in one metropolitan area)
Because Mr. Finch installed a filter along with his back-door. He realizes that he can only affect one area (albeit a relatively large one, in terms of population) so he's filtered the results.

What I find intriguing is the wastrel-doctor son of Mr. Finch's partner (Nathan), and all the information in those file boxes.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch when Nathan's son called Mr. Finch, uncle? But he also kept saying Finch was Nathan's only friend. Interesting....

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that uncommon to call a close family friend of one's parents uncle. I didn't really read anything into it.

Of course, that might be a mistake :D.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo,

What did you think about the episode last night (02/02/12).

Who is the Mystery Woman who impressed Finch with her uber-savvy computer skills?