Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

untechioux

!
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the pilot tonight. What did you guys think?

{Possible spoilers ahead}

I only watched it because it's Joss Whedon and because I love Ming Na Wen. I've seen most of the Marvel movies (not Iron Man 3 yet), and while I like Agent Coulson, I don't like him as much as serious Marvel lovers seem to. I liken him to that person in the office that you run into once a month in the elevator--you exchange pleasantries and it's all nice because you never see him. Your affinity is based on lack of knowledge.

So, not being a Marvel-head, I wasn't really impressed with the show. Oh, and I also used to watch Heroes. I kept thinking, "Yeah, Heroes did it better, with more shipping and fangirling/fanboying potential, and with a smaller budget."

If the 2 shows had debuted simultaneously, maybe I'd think differently, and surely Heroes really tanked in the final season(s). But I still couldn't help thinking I'd seen this show done before, and more interestingly.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I **totally** spazzed and forgot to record it. Guess I'll wait for the entire season to come to Netflix or something.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Loved it. Just what I was expecting (waiting for!). Coulson's awesome. I didn't really like Clark Gregg's character on The Adventures of Old Christine, but he's really done something with Coulson and I could watch it forever.

I've watched Whedon shows since BTVS and loved comic characters since I was 3, so this show is a no-brainer for me. Had it marked on the calendar since they announced the premiere date.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
It did remind me in some (un?)pleasant ways of Heroes. But I enjoyed it.

I am a Coulson fan too. Can't say why, but I was devastated when he died in Avengers. I haven't read a comic in years so have no idea of the canon, but I like him and this show.

Nice to see Joss finding work for his favorite actors, too.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I liked it, but we'll have to see if they can keep it up. I also liked the high geek to combat character ratio. Three different super smart characters with their own specializations is rare.

It doesn't yet have a lot of wow or lol moments (although, the cosplay around Stark Tower joke was good as was the comment about SHIELD's name).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I enjoyed it. I'm a Coulson fan as well. Liked the plot, the FX, the acting, the back-and-forth. Didn't like the Deep And Moving Speech at the end, and they lost my interest about 40 minutes in, but regained it 10 mins later.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
While I'm willing to admit I'm not a fanboy of the comic world(yeah, don't kill me), I did enjoy the show. I had a few moments that I couldn't help but laugh at.

A little disappointed we don't get J August Richards for more than a guest shot.

LOVED seeing Shepard Book... er, Ron Glass... as a character.

Ming-Na definitely will have my attention to see what's happening with her character. Colson has my attention because of the interplay between the office workers that Colson doesn't know and will never know.

Plus I enjoyed the Fitzsimmons joke. (No, he's Fitz and She's Simmons.)

So they have my attention for a few episodes, at least. As with all new shows, I have to give them time to build character.

Oh, and Joss isn't on Fox so this should last at least a season, right? RIGHT? :)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I love Joss Whedon, but I went into the show a bit skeptical. I thought the special effects were a bit poor at the start and for me it actually began a little slow (nameless guy we don't care about yet in a big fight didn't work for me), but it got better. I started getting really interested when they introduced Fitz and Simmons. I already adore those characters and am interested to see where they go. I set the DVR to record the whole series. I really hope it hits its groove and becomes great!

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
I'm another Clark Gregg/Coulson fan from Avengers, so he's great. A few catchy references. Some of Whedon's fave players popping in works for me. But the predictability doesn't bode well for future interest. The only surprise moment for me was flying Lola--and that's a blip. I hope it plays out well! I'm a huge comic book movie nerd with high hopes.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was fun. The effects weren't that great, most of the characters are annoyingly pretty and overall it was a little cartoony for my taste, but the only shows I've been watching lately were serious no-punches-pulled dramas like Breaking Bad or Homeland. So once I got used to the conventions of network TV again I enjoyed it. Will stick with it at least until the second episode.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fan of Coulson per se, but I'm a comics fan (Especially Marvel since DC's New 52 launch) and was looking forward to this.

It was an interesting experience, watching it with a non-comic-book-nerd sort. My sister and I were giggling about the easter eggs, like the JIM namedrop, or when they got into Lola (we were both going "Fly! Come on, fly!" and had to wait another 20 min. for the payoff :( ) while he looked to us for explanations. But in the end, he seemed to enjoy it as much as we did.

It reminded me a lot tonally of Warehouse 13, which will never be a bad comparison in my book.

I was really hoping Richards would become a recurring character. :(

I'm really looking forward to getting more of the various characters in the team. It's earned half a season from me, and we'll see how it goes.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I DVRed it but haven't watched it yet. I'm hoping its more of a James Bondish spy show with high tech gadgets, like the original Silver Age Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD by Jim Steranko but everyone keeps mentioning Heroes which I never found very interesting, so that makes me apprehensive. SHIELD should be ordinary intelligence agents who battle operatives from other evil government agencies (Hydra, AIM), but with the Cold War long gone, I guess I'm just showing my age.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it, thought it was passable, but didn't love it. Might give it another try if I remember and there's nothing else on.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
ABC’s follow-up to the Marvel movies by way of Joss Whedon on Tuesday night opened to 12.1 million total viewers while scoring a 4.7 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, per finals — aka this fall’s highest-rated drama debut to date, if not the most watched. It also stands as all of TV’s best drama launch in four years (since ABC’s own V).

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Finally got to sit down and watch it tonight after discovering ABC doesn't do live streaming in my area at 7:55 last night. Went in hopeful, came out completely satisfied. The best writing? No, but a few lines that got a good laugh out of me and some "I see what you did there" references that made me grin. I adore Fitzsimmons and want to see more of them (and their toys!) as well as learn more about May and Coulson's stories. All in all, I enjoyed it and plan on watching more.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the dialogue was very good and clever, and some of it was clunky. Same with the action, but that's television so there are some limitations...a lot of them, actually. For me, even though I'm not a Marvel fan per se, I will watch it to see where it goes. Loved The Avengers and Ironman. I prefer DC's characters, but Marvel makes great live-action movies.