Godzilla

Lord Hierarch

Registered
Reaction score
Behold! The King of Monsters has returned!

Has anyone here seen the leaked trailer?

If you have, what do you think about it?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
If this is the real thing, then I'll be interested. The American version (Matthew Broderick's one) was really, really bad. Even though the Japanese versions have always a guy in a rubber suit stomping around and rather cheesy special effects, they've always had a special charm to them. I have hopes the producers will do this one right.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The trailer looks interesting, though I doubt it'll be as much fun for my geeky heart as Pacific Rim was. (I mean, who can top a GlaDOS cameo? :D)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
If this is the real thing, then I'll be interested. The American version (Matthew Broderick's one) was really, really bad.
Aw, I can't stay mad at Matthew Broderick. You can blame that one on the shitty writing and directing of Roland Emmerich. He makes movies where logic doesn't work, science is turned upside-down, and no characters have believable human emotional reactions or conversations. Good actors waste themselves on moronic dialogue serving idiot plots.

Hierarch, thanks for the link. Trailer looks pretty good.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
The trailer looks interesting, though I doubt it'll be as much fun for my geeky heart as Pacific Rim was. (I mean, who can top a GlaDOS cameo? :D)

Pacific Rim can suck Cthulhu's slimy appendages. Barely Netflix-worthy.

I might actually go see Godzilla in the theater if the reviews indicate it doesn't completely suck.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It claims to be a reboot of the 1954 version, but the monster looks to be similar to the movie one Matthew Broderick was in.

I liked that Godzilla. Personally, I think people took it too seriously. I laughed at being chased through Madison Square Garden by dozens of 9-foot-tall baby Godzilla's

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
That wasn't actually Godzilla, despite the title. His official name is Zilla and he's a mutated iguana, as opposed to Godzilla who is the mutated form of a godzillasaurus.

This one seems much more flexible, but Godzilla's stiffness has always been due in large part to the costume.
The actual design seems to follow Gojira rather than Zilla. The mouth is far less blocky and the dorsal fins are both more numerous and are back to their original shape. He also seems to have a far less hunched appearance than Zilla, shorter arms, and his neck isn't nearly as long.

If you don't mind visual spoilers you can see Godzilla's design clearly here and here.
They got the color right at least (i.e. not green).

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Ah, there's the face I love.

I always thought the Broderick movie was good, but it was a far cry from the one I grew up with. I would have thought they would have taken the original look and simply made it look better like the difference between some of the pot bellied t-rex's in old movies and the trex in Jurassic park. But they changed him too much. He was shorter and he dodged shots while the original one simply wasn't bothered by them.

This looks closer to the real Godzilla.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
That wasn't actually Godzilla, despite the title. His official name is Zilla and he's a mutated iguana, as opposed to Godzilla who is the mutated form of a godzillasaurus.

This one seems much more flexible, but Godzilla's stiffness has always been due in large part to the costume.
The actual design seems to follow Gojira rather than Zilla. The mouth is far less blocky and the dorsal fins are both more numerous and are back to their original shape. He also seems to have a far less hunched appearance than Zilla, shorter arms, and his neck isn't nearly as long.

If you don't mind visual spoilers you can see Godzilla's design clearly here and here.
They got the color right at least (i.e. not green).

Yessss, THERE'S my favorite giant monster! I'm so glad it looks like they're going back to a more classic style, visually. I enjoyed the Broderick movie as a giant monster film, but it wasn't Godzilla.

They also established that the American Godzilla "Zilla" and Godzilla are two different creatures in Godzilla: Final Wars by having the two go head-to-head.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
They also established that the American Godzilla "Zilla" and Godzilla are two different creatures in Godzilla: Final Wars by having the two go head-to-head Godzilla give Zilla the smackdown.

:p
It was like a three second fight.
It was hilarious.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Ha! I just went to the IMDB page for Godzilla and looked at the cast. CJ Adams is on my dream cast for my book. That gave me a giggle.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the new American Godzilla reminded me of one of the Godzilla movies done about ten years ago or so...Godilla: Millenium or Godzilla: Tokyo SOS or something like that. His dorsal fins were rather spiky in at least one of those flicks.

As long as this one is NOT like the Matthew Broderick movie. That was a stain upon the entire Gojira legacy.

And I liked Godzilla: Final Wars. Sure, the characters were flat and two-dimensional, sure the guys in rubber suits were cheesy...but that's all part of the fun, and it's more about Godzilla doing his impression of Olympic sports and soccer than crushing alien skulls, anyway.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
As far as correct morphology, MB's Godzilla had a more reptilian stance, movement, run and posture. It's all in the bones, friends, and that's why over the decades T-Rex's frame has been lowered and flattened out, to present the proper weight balance and spine angle. And not to forget getting that tail up off the ground. So I'll give Mathew's film credit for getting the animal right, or at least, more believable. The rest of the film was okay, I guess.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I loved Zilla's design personally and as long as you don't think of him as Godzilla I think it works well enough for a token kaiju plot. Actually, Zilla Jr. from the animated series is much more in line with the King of the Monsters we all know and love, as he spends the majority of his time fighting other giant monsters, the military and even aliens. So if you liked his design but didn't like the movie, might be worth checking out an episode or two. Tis on Netflix. Note that the animation and some plot references are heavily dated but it works pretty well as an AU in this day and age.

Annnyway...super psyched to see this one. I'll probably see it in IMAX if given the chance. Dinosaurs, kaiju, monsters in general...love 'em.