Captain America: The Winter Soldier

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I cannot WAIT!

I'm more into DC than Marvel, but the latter does comic book adaptions faithfully (for the most part) and does them well. Cannot wait!

Did I say that I can't wait?

:)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen it, but can't wait.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I saw it! And I'm going to see it again Monday. It was indeed awesome. :D

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gonna see the fuck out of it as soon as it hits the states!

"Gonna see the fuck out of it as soon as it hits the states?"

I said the exact said thing. Absolutely never. :rolleyes

Ah, to be young and still exuberant about a comic book movie. If I ever meet you Zoombie, I'll buy you a drink.

Of Coke. Or Pepsi. Cuz I know you're gonna get carded! :e2drunk:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Dying to see it, and already planning on doing the Winter Soldier for Halloween. (My red-headed kiddo has claimed Black Widow)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I saw it on Wednesday and have taken a few days to let my opinion settle.

I thought it was all right - a solid three stars. The reason I'm not giving it the full five is that it doesn't know what film it wants to be.

***UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD***

The first half promises 70s-style political thriller (as had been teased all the way along). It's great. The general premise of Cap being out on his own, not knowing who he can trust, works brilliantly. I personally wanted to see them push it even further - have fun with the fact that Black Widow has played multiple sides before and has a habit of running different agendas than everyone else, throw a few more reversals of loyalties in there - but it's a really strong set-up and just great to see in this kind of movie. There are also some interesting character moments, good interplay between the leads; it's top-grade stuff.

Unfortunately, all the plot points I disliked were in the second half. It basically becomes by-the-numbers comic book action, and all the intrigue is thrown away. The bad guys are really easy to identify, people you think you can trust can be trusted, and we're back to a black-and-white view of the world where punching the right person and blowing up the right thing stops the baddies and saves the world.

I know I'm not the main target audience for this kind of film, but it was a bit of a let down - though I should make it clear, it's only a let down compared to how awesome that first half was. I am deadly serious when I say that the first half goes toe-to-toe with The Dark Knight and holds its ground. But the second half compromises, and that's a shame.

Things I really didn't like:
- the whole Zola aspect. I don't really care if he's a robot with a human brain in the comics, I just don't buy it in the context of a movie set in the present day. And "the algorithm" is just bad science.
- Again: I know it happened in the comics, but I hate that Bucky was the Winter Soldier. It cheapens the significance of his death and feels emotionally hollow.
- I wanted Fury to stay dead - but even then, the whole plot point is inadvertantly undermined by them bringing Coulson back from the dead in Agents of SHIELD. If Fury died, why wouldn't they bring him back? (This is, incidentally, why comic book death tropes cause big problems for storytelling).

Things I loved:
- I still can't believe Cap is played by the same actor who was the (purposely) obnoxious Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies. Chris Evans does a great job.
- Scarlett Johansson is even better, though. She brings more depth to Black Widow every time she appears.
- The whole beginnings-of-SHIELD thing they hinted at with Peggy Carter was awesome, and if they greenlight the TV miniseries they've hinted about that I would totally watch it (especially if they keep Hayley Atwell in it).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I really enjoyed it!

(This post feels um... somewhat unimpressive... after onesecondglance's detailed discussion. :D)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it, and honestly, I don't get the love. It was fairly average for an action flick, mixed with a heavy dose of Marvel/Disney cross-promotion.

Awesome Stan Lee cameo, though. And the flight visual for Falcon was great.

oooooh

the owls are not what they seem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm dying to see it because *long sigh* Sebastian Stan...with long hair *swoons*...

No but in all honestly, if it's as good as the first, I'm sold. Hopefully there's lots more Falcon.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it! It was much good, with lots of good action punching and thought provoking (with punching.) Great cast, great characters, great directing.

Generally, great!

...it helps that Captain America is my favorite Marvel character at this time. I know some people find his "too good to be true" character to be unrealistic, or boring, but personally, I find that only makes him a better foil slash role model for the rest of the world and characters. And, you know...if this is Marvel's idea of the best parts of America, wrapped in a single person...I'm kind of totally behind them.

And since Superman was turned into a genocidal murder-hobo who snaps necks rather than saves lives, we really need characters like Steve Rodgers...

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Count me as a card-carrying member of the ZOMGLOVE club. :D Predictable in places, but it's a comic book movie. It still caught me by surprise once or twice. Fabulous action, good humor, and a cast beyond compare, holding up to the quality we've come to expect from the Avengers line of movies.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
It was even better than the first, if that's possible. Nice characterizations, more introspection, excellent special effects (duh!) and solid direction. Worthwhile and yes, waitin' on the DVD!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But didn't the idea of a human brain "recorded" onto magnetic tape bother you? It's not even the usual handwaving of uploading a mind, like in the upcoming Transcendence. It's magnetic tape reels.

I can't even.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You can buy helicarriers, but not human minds recorded onto magnetic tape? :tongue

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Helicarriers built in 2010-2014 vs. a human brain put onto magnetic tape in 1948? Complete with self-aware interactive interface?

Yep. :D