Believe (NBC)

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score

The story of a little girl and the death-row inmate
tasked with protecting her in exchange for his freedom.
After officially becoming a fugitive and an amber alert, they'll run from the
police & the FBI agents as well as the people hunting her down for her
extraordinary powers. Powers that some people see
as very useful for miracle-working, while others believe to come in
handy to better control the world. It'll take a death-row inmate
to see the kid for what she is.
A kid. Not a miracle worker.
Not a weapon. Just a kid.

THIS SHOW IS A MUST WATCH

Trailer #1: http://youtu.be/dBNfCZHe6rw
Trailer #2: http://youtu.be/6q7ymR55WQo
Trailer #3: http://youtu.be/nnCCMDfLqUo

Created by

Alfonso Cuarón & Mark Friedman
Produced by
J.J. Abrams
_________________________________________________​

Starring

Jake Mclaughlin / Johnny Sequoyah / Jamie Chung
Kyle McLachlan / Delroy Lindo

Opinion: Everyone Should Check It Out
amazed at how good it is. It exceeded my expectations and I
fell completely in love with this show, though not on the
pilot, I must say, since I had already seen most of it through
the trailer, but after that, it truly gets to you. A lot
of drama and action and funny, adorable
moments that no one should miss.

Airs:
Sundays at 9/8c. on NBC (USA)
Thursdays at 9pm on WATCH (UK)
Sundays at 9pm ET on CTV (CANADA)
Mondays at 9pm on WARNER CHANNEL (LATIN AMERICA)
And last, but not least, also airing on CANAL+SERIES (SPAIN)

tumblr_n184trdbDN1rn13w5o2_r2_250.gif
tumblr_n184trdbDN1rn13w5o4_r6_250.gif

tumblr_n184trdbDN1rn13w5o5_r2_250.gif
tumblr_n184trdbDN1rn13w5o8_r1_250.gif

Last edited:

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother.
It's slow.
There's nothing that makes one care about or want to care about the characters.

In some ways I find the concept similar to Touch only Touch had characters to care about and storylines that were interesting - Believe doesn't.

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother.
It's slow.

In some ways I find the concept similar to Touch only Touch had characters to care about and storylines that were interesting - Believe doesn't.
Saw the first episode. I'm intrigued. I like the dynamic between the two characters so far. Not certain why, but the little girl kind of reminds me of Chloe Grace Moretz.

I haven't seen Touch. Is it good? Checked its IMDB page and found that it's Kiefer Sutherland. If I'm going to watch him, might as well watch 24.

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen Touch. Is it good? Checked its IMDB page and found that it's Kiefer Sutherland. If I'm going to watch him, might as well watch 24.
Haven't seen 24. Hubby and I both enjoyed Touch.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Touch would have made a better movie than a series. The end sequence of the pilot episode was really cool, if implausible. It pretty much fell apart after that.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
The promos make it look about as derivative as it could possibly be. Is that the case?

Not at all. It may look that way from the outside, but once you start watching it, you see it has its own concept and knows how to make it work. It's only 6 episodes so far (7 tonight), and I'd give it a try and judge it for the episodes, not just the trailers. :D I'm almost certain that if by episode 6 (though it shouldn't take that long, but still, episode 6 is a MUST WATCH :hooray:) hasn't stolen your heart AND your attention just yet, then it was never meant for you. ;)

Last edited:

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother.
It's slow.

Disagreed. :tongue 100%. And then a little more.

Maybe you don't care about the characters on the pilot, but lots of shows take a little warming up before they get there. Didn't take me two episodes to love these characters like I do now & after that, it just kept going strong. I love'em like nobody's business and I truly care for them and what happens to them.

Other shows made me wait for episode 1x15 (Arrow ¬¬) or in most cases, episode 1x03 (like Supernatural) or episode 4/5 (The Tomorrow People). When I start a new show, I usually give it 3-5 episodes to engage me, but if it doesn't, or I haven't found any good reason to stay and keep watching by then, I'm out (The 100 ->talking about derivative). Though sometimes, like I just said, I keep tuning in to see if it gets better at ANY point, like I did with Arrow. Then Felicity Smoak joined the team and I was sold. If it wasn't for her, that show would have been dead and gone for me by now.

So, yeah... It takes time to get to know the characters and their world. Lots of awesome TV Shows didn't have great pilots to start with but the shows themselves became stronger and better with time. This one is one of them. (See The Tomorrow People, Arrow...)

It's just 6 episodes in, and tonight's episode promises a serious plot point that it's
gonna be so epic I don't even know if I'll get any sleep after that. :heart::heart::heart::ily:

Last edited:

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
I've finally caught up! Just finished watching episode 6.

I agree that it kind of slowed down in terms of the intrigue factor after the pilot, but I'm sticking around because I like the dynamic between Bo and William. I especially like Bo. I find her charming.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

I was hoping that the "big secret" would eventually be revealed and not dragged on throughout the whole season so I'm happy about that.

Getting kind of tired of the whole fugitive thing. It's already enough that those creepy scientist folk are after Bo methinks, but I care about the two main characters thus far, so I'm sticking with it for now.

It's not my current favorite just yet (OUAT still holds that spot), but I'm tuning in to this one.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
YAY!! YAY! Yay!!!
:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

I'm not too fond of episodic plots, either, but as I said, it's not
even half bad and I love these characters so much, I'd follow
them to the edges of the Earth if I had to! :PartySmil:e2cloud9:

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the change in how Tate behaves toward Bo in episode 7. From episodes 1-6, he was always borderline annoyed with her, but in that last episode, it was almost as if everything she said to him was precious. When she was talking about her story, the reaction he had on his face was so tender and conflicted. Anyway, I think episode 7 is my favorite so far.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You really are a fan of the show, arentcha? :) Curious... What makes you like the characters so much?

The banter. The cuteness. The sassiness... How they're
always there for each other... I don't know. It's everything!
They're adorable and I just want them to be happy.

205e2jn.jpg

I like how it pulls at your heartstrings, how it develops
slowly from ep to ep... how they learn to like (tolerate? xD)
each other, work together, etc. IDK. It's the whole mix of
everything, it's just perfect!

And yup! I'm a big fan :D

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I definitely see the similarities between this and Firestarter (little girl runs away with adult man to stay safe from the Ebil Guvment Peeps), and between this and Touch. Honestly, the "We're meant to be here, I have to run away from Tate to make sure these people are together because they're MEANT TO BE" thing from Bo bugs me. I liked episode 6 because it was a break from that to some extent, even though there was still "Tate's meant to be here to learn the truth, because he's MEANT TO".

I'm also having suspension of disbelief issues with the fugitive/Amber Alert thing. Tate's and Bo's names and faces are all over the fricking media, and yet people keep meeting them and not recognizing them, even when they give their *real names*? Yeah, not quite buying that.

I've also seen a few logic gaps with Bo's powers. Some of it might be handwaved with "she doesn't have full control yet", but some of it flat out doesn't make sense. I'm blanking on specific examples right now, but there have been times when she's completely known things, and then times when she hasn't had a clue but it felt like the only reason she didn't have a clue was because the writers needed her not to.

That said, though, I like the dynamic between Bo and Tate. I LOVE Winter. And I think there's more to Skouros than just trying to fulfill his government contract using Bo. So I will keep watching as long as the issues that are bugging me don't overwhelm my enjoyment.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also having suspension of disbelief issues with the fugitive/Amber Alert thing. Tate's and Bo's names and faces are all over the fricking media, and yet people keep meeting them and not recognizing them, even when they give their *real names*? Yeah, not quite buying that. Well, to be honest, it's not that hard to believe. People don't pay as much attention to that stuff as they should. They may be seeing them on TV but they think they're never gonna run accross this fugitive or the kid he's with, so why bother looking for them? People always think it's never gonna happen to them (not bad things, not running into fugitives, not nothing), so they shrug and go as they were. Still, some people did recognize them, remember? The annoying woman who kept on calling attention to them when they were in the train station in ep2. People have lives to take care of, they don't have time to play detectives when there are others who get paid to do just that. So they -again- shrug it off and say "well, somebody'll do something".:Shrug:

That said, though, I like the dynamic between Bo and Tate. Me too!! :heart: I LOVE Winter. Yeah, he's nice! :tongue And I think there's more to Skouros than just trying to fulfill his government contract using Bo. So I will keep watching as long as the issues that are bugging me don't overwhelm my enjoyment.

Yay!! That's good to know.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
It may be worth noting for those who are interested in such things that the late Ned Vizzini was a writer on this show, and the first episode was dedicated to his memory.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've also seen a few logic gaps with Bo's powers. Some of it might be handwaved with "she doesn't have full control yet", but some of it flat out doesn't make sense.

This is part of my problem with the series. At this point Bo (that name...)seem to consist entirely of "whatever's needed at the moment," so they adapt to the scenario, meaning she really doesn't have many weaknesses in the power department.

My other problem is more in the casting department. The kid runs hot and cold, which is normal for a child actor, and that's fine, but I can't stand Kyle MacLachlan (sp?) as the villain. He's not quite selling it - at least not to me. Going back to the Firestarter comparison. Rainbird was an AWESOME villain. He was someone that you could believe loved Charlie, but would still kill her without hesitation. I don't get that with Skouros.

I really wish they hadn't blown Tate's cover so soon. I would have much rather seen them get caught, and then he drops the bombshell on the cops that he IS the girl's father, and that he's been protecting her from this psycho who has been chasing them all out for reasons he can't fathom. Let them clear him, now that they know who committed the murder he's accused of. I would LOVE if Skouros hadn't known Tate was Bo's dad, and it was a huge wrench in his plan. Turn the cops on Skouros.

(And as an aside, I so hope Stanley the Turtle turns out to be a tracking device or biometric monitor of some kind. Otherwise, they're placing entirely too much emphasis on it.)

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
I think the attention on Stanley has more to do with her mother than anything else. In the pilot Bo said -if I'm not mistaken- that he was a gift from her real mom, though she didn't remember her. So I guess that's why he's so important to her, and the show. It's another way of showing their connection, I guess. Besides, poor kid doesn't have many constants in her life, so that makes it even more crucial.

And about Kyle / Skouras... I don't think villian is what they're going for, here. More of an antagonist vibe than anything else, I think. He cares about Bo, even if he has his own interests at heart, first. To me, he's selling it just fine, and I loved him on Desperate Housewives, too, so... yeah :D

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's official - Believe has been cancelled. Along with every... single... one... of my cheesy diversion shows. I'm going to have to find new cheese to watch next season!

They're even pulling the May 18th episodes of Believe and Crisis out of Sweeps in favor of some special. I hope they at least air the pulled episodes the next week for some sense of closure!