No love for the Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailtime

Typed so fast, keyboard's on fire.
Registered
Reaction score
I see threads for Xbox and PS, but no Wii U? No one here is team Nintendo? I should just turn it on, go online, and type messages here on the gamepad.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm a Nintendo girl from start to finish. Mr. Maxwell got a Wii U for his birthday. We haven't played it a lot, but we've enjoyed what we have played: New Super Mario Bros U, Wonderful 101, and Tank! Tank! Tank! (which if you haven't played is absolutely ridiculous group fun. Do not play alone, because you need people to laugh along with. They won't believe you otherwise.)

mailtime

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually never heard of Tank! Tank! Tank! I didn't know it was an eshop game. I'll go see how it looks on youtube. I'm the fence with Wonder 101. I didn't play Viewtiful Joe, either.

Who doesn't have Mario Bros U? Did you get 3D World yet? Game was awesome. Really took me back to my childhood. I nearly got a Mario game over for the first time in years.

Along with the Mario games, I have Call of Duty Ghosts, Batman Arkham City, and ZombiU (a game I seem to be obsessed it. I'm replaying it for the 3rd time now.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My MIL bought one for the kids for Christmas.

They played it incessantly for about three weeks and then went back to Minecraft on the Xbox. They've basically forgotten the Wii U ever existed.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
We're a Nintendo family, but I've spent very little time on the WiiU -- mostly because of my 3DS XL. I still play MH3:U and Animal Crossing on it almost daily even though they both came out last spring.

My partner plays MH on the WiiU every day, though, and we've already pre-ordered the new Mario Kart. I'm not normally a fan of racing games (or the ubiquitous franchise characters) but I've had so much fun with that game over the years it boggles my mind. :D

ArtisticRabbit

is actually a seal. :I
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely love my 3DS. But my PS3 is my baby~ :3

My husband wants to get the WiiU for the new Super Smash Bros. It looks really cool. Also, Charizard. :heart: And it would be nice to have group games to play when we have company over.

mailtime

Registered
Reaction score
Finally we're getting some comments here. I see all these views, but no one posting. lol.

I just downloaded Yoshi's Island SMA3, a game I've wanted since I was little (never picked it up when it was on SNES or GBA. I don't have a good excuse). I'm also only an hour into Golden Sun. And I'm on my third play-through of ZombiU. Might restart Batman Arkham City again.

My partner plays MH on the WiiU every day, though, and we've already pre-ordered the new Mario Kart. I'm not normally a fan of racing games (or the ubiquitous franchise characters) but I've had so much fun with that game over the years it boggles my mind. :D

I haven't cared for Mario Kart since Nintendo 64. I'm not a fan of racing games, either.

My husband wants to get the WiiU for the new Super Smash Bros. It looks really cool. Also, Charizard. :heart:

I'm dying for Smash Bros Wii U (not getting the 3DS version), though I think they've added way too many pokemon as fighters. Well, as long as Fox returns, I'm sold.

Last edited:

Characters

Registered
Reaction score
I do like my Wii U, but it is a disappointment at the year and a half mark. I am looking forward to my little Mario Kart 8 get-together tomorrow, of course. The 3DS has been far more captivating.

I can enjoy a Nintendo system based on first-party titles alone, but the lack of much third-party support is disappointing. And in general, the lack of Wii U game pad use is possibly the biggest let down so far. I expected more interesting forms of asynchronous game play than what we have seen. From what I can tell, Nintendo Land still offers the best showcase of what could be done with that controller (outside of Pikmin 3, perhaps), and yet that was all it was ever meant to be. At this rate, what is little more than a tech. demo. title may prove to be the best actual use of the tablet controller.

Still, I hold out hope for the Wii U.

PS

As most everyone agrees, the name of the console is particularly bad.

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
I am also a Nintendo guy. It was fantastic to play Windwaker again on the system, also Pikmin 3 is fantastic.

I agree Characters about the lack of 3rd party games and the gamepad.

I love the older Nintendo games as well so i do alot of downloading from the Nintendo store (Super Metroid, Uncharter Waters 2, Yoshi Island)

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I do like my Wii U, but it is a disappointment at the year and a half mark. I am looking forward to my little Mario Kart 8 get-together tomorrow, of course. The 3DS has been far more captivating.

Nice! It was just my partner and myself this weekend, but we had fun. I'm not in love with the game yet, like I was with previous versions (GC, DS, and Wii), but I'm already hooked on some of the tracks.

My only major disappointment is not having an option to move the overhead map to the TV. I don't know how other people have their living rooms set up, but there's just no where I can stick the gamepad where it's convenient to glance over and see the map. That means I play without knowing where everyone else is, which can be really annoying, especially when I get ambushed right before the finish line. Ugh.

It's also annoying that the default button-press after a grand-prix race is "watch highlights" instead of "next race." Do people really prefer that? To interrupt a grand-prix to watch highlights? Maybe it's just me, but when I'm in a grand-prix I just want to get moving.

Also, I agree with the poster above about the 3DS. Mine was a daily companion for months and months. But now that I'm done with Animal Crossing, and I've put down Monster Hunter for a while, I'll probably just stick with MK8... at least until I get the 3DS version. :D

As most everyone agrees, the name of the console is particularly bad.
I've never heard that before. Of course, the only gaming media I pay attention to is a 3DS forum. I think the name's fine.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a Wii U. I do have a Gamecube and Wii though. And I do very much enjoy Nintendo's first-party games (specifically Metroid and Animal Crossing), but seeing how I'm only going to purchase one next-gen console, I have my eyes set on the PS4. Just not enough third-party support for the Wii U as of this time. That's a deal breaker for me. Especially if Battlefront 3 and Mass Effect 4 ignore the U.

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I don't have a Wii U. I do have a Gamecube and Wii though. And I do very much enjoy Nintendo's first-party games (specifically Metroid and Animal Crossing), but seeing how I'm only going to purchase one next-gen console, I have my eyes set on the PS4. Just not enough third-party support for the Wii U as of this time. That's a deal breaker for me. Especially if Battlefront 3 and Mass Effect 4 ignore the U.

Too bad there's no Animal Crossing for WiiU. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. :D

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get a WiiU at some point. There are Mario games I haven't played, and that upsets me. I'm sure they'll get a new Zelda game out soon.

Nintendo does a great job with their games, but I've heard that the system itself is rather disappointing and that there isn't much third-party support.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I just saw a commercial the other day for a new mariocart. I want to play it so bad.

I love Nintendo, but I'm not a fan of the Wii. At least with them trying to pass off the sports games as a good replacement for real exercise. Uh, no. You want exercise, you go outside or something and use your whole body. The sun is good for you too. (gasp!)

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get a WiiU at some point. There are Mario games I haven't played, and that upsets me. I'm sure they'll get a new Zelda game out soon.

Nintendo revealed the next Zelda at their digital "event" during E3. It looked beautiful, painterly in style, and it's apparently going to be open-world. Everything accessible at the beginning. Won't come out until 2015 however––that is if they don't delay it. There was also that adorable Yoshi game where he and all of his environment was made up of yarn. Too bad no Metroid though. Maybe next year.

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Nintendo does a great job with their games, but I've heard that the system itself is rather disappointing and that there isn't much third-party support.

Have you watched any of the new release videos from E3? At this point, who cares about third-party support. Some of the new games look like so much fun, and they're gorgeous. Right now I'm having a blast with MK8, and my partner just bought the new Super Mario Bros.

That said, he also just bought me two new 3DS games: the newest Prof. Layton and MK7. Sooooo... I've been leaving the WiiU to him while I hunch over my wonderful handheld. Where the heck is the 3DS thread anyway? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.