Effective Paragraph Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I've been trying to work on executing effective paragraph breaks within my revising. Everything seems to be going fine, but then I begin to second guess myself and my confidence goes out the window.

Things like, "Is this too jarring?", "Should I really have put another break? I used breaks on the last three lines already.."

Its kind of frustrating. Are there any tricks of the trade? Does anyone else have trouble with executing effective paragraph breaks?

Any advice would be helpful.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about specifically when breaking for emphasis? Or in general when to break? It's pretty simple:

--Change of speaker
--Change of "topic," meaning that whatever is in the paragraph should be unified in content, and if there's a shift, break the paragraph
--When you want to emphasis a line.

Sometimes you can have multiple paragraph breaks in quick succession. It just depends on how you want to lay out the story.

I looked at one of your SYW pieces and they're broken up properly. Although your paragraphs are a bit on the lengthy side. It's not wrong, but if you wanted, you could further break it up.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BloodSpatterAnalyst

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks chompers that helps a bit.

I meant mostly for emphasis, though.

I think I've got the basics of it down, but like you noticed my paragraphs seem to be a little lengthy at times.

I've been seeming to be getting the hang of it the past couple days, but then when I go back to it I start to worry if I break too much that it'll take the reader out of the story.

When it comes to this, is it best just to go with your gut feeling?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Worry about the content and how gripping that content within those paragraphs are, rather than the length of them--especially in a word processor, because it will be typeset different in the finished book.

If you're breaking apart paragraphs to make smaller ones.

Like this.

To try to enforce seclusion for emphasis.

It can feel as if you're writing in broken thoughts.

There's a term for it in poetry that escapes me.

But I am only of cold water falling on the hot oil of poeticz.

Clashing.

I stick to the guidelines of paragraphs: Group likely thoughts together. However, from there it's just a gut feeling.

I'm hesitant if I've answered your question or not, though.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's partly gut feeling, partly personal style, and then partly adherence to rules.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
The artist in me wants to break paragraphs evenly on the page to create a beautiful balance of negative space. The writer in me says, topic change, speaker change, emphasis.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

Registered
Reaction score
I stick to the guidelines of paragraphs: Group likely thoughts together. However, from there it's just a gut feeling.

I'm hesitant if I've answered your question or not, though.

In a way you did. Your response was helpful. I just need to stop second guessing myself.

Thanks.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Pick your moments to emphasize or nothing's going to seem emphasized. Aside from that, go with what Will said and try not to overthink it.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's partly gut feeling, partly personal style, and then partly adherence to rules.

This^^^ But . . .

The artist in me wants to break paragraphs evenly on the page to create a beautiful balance of negative space. The writer in me says, topic change, speaker change, emphasis.

Something that is rarely, maybe never, talked about is the appearance of the page itself. When we open a book, the first thing that registers on a subconscious level is the appearance of the pages, and it has been established that pages with paragraphs of continuous uniform length have a negative psychological impact, while paragraphs of varied length are more pleasing to the eye and, thus, create a pleasurable atmosphere before we even start reading.*

I believe it is best to vary the lengths of our paragraphs as much as possible within the guidelines of proper paragraph usage. I believe that paragraph flow is almost as important as sentence flow.

* Yeah, somebody actually did a study.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
In my experience it really does have to do with confidence and style -- as you develop confidence in your style you'll stop second-guessing yourself. It also depends on the nature of your POV character: some like short, pithy paragraphs, and others want to be descriptive and verbose.

The more you write, the more you'll get the hang of it. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think "topic changes" is a very good guide for fiction. It's a rule that's aimed at non-fiction. Thinking in terms of "topic" when writing a narrative isn't very natural, IMO.

I tend to think of paragraph breaks as kind of like stanza breaks in poetry.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
* Yeah, somebody actually did a study.[/QUOTE]

I hope it wasn't a government funded study.

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This^^^ But . . .

Something that is rarely, maybe never, talked about is the appearance of the page itself. When we open a book, the first thing that registers on a subconscious level is the appearance of the pages, and it has been established that pages with paragraphs of continuous uniform length have a negative psychological impact, while paragraphs of varied length are more pleasing to the eye and, thus, create a pleasurable atmosphere before we even start reading.*

I believe it is best to vary the lengths of our paragraphs as much as possible within the guidelines of proper paragraph usage. I believe that paragraph flow is almost as important as sentence flow.

do you have a source that you can reference for this study? I'd be very interested to look at that.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score

I too would be interested in this study.

Also, typesetting and the appearance of the page is spoken of a lot--but simpler discussions are far, far more common. I was speaking about this with my critique group last week.

Though, I wouldn't break paragraphs to make them any less uniform, or shorter just 'cause. I typically like to add in dialogue--as dialogue is one of the leading acts in creating white space for the eyes to rest on--or independent thoughts to break things up.

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely agree that i like to have things 'broken up'. But i think that has more to do with a want for a break and for easier digestion of the text than it has to with the aesthetic qualities of space on the page. I suppose i never really considered the psychological impact that might have upon my subconcious.

I think that sequences of dialogue are an instant, visual indication that the page will contain action, and i definitely do like to stay within touching distance of the active present.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't like using the word "breaks" in this context. You don't really break from one paragraph to another, you transition. Just as one sentence within a paragraph should logically and smoothly follow the sentence before it, the first sentence of a new paragrapg should logically and smoothly follow the last sentence of the previous paragraph.

Just as a single paragraph is made up of one subject, one idea, one topic, each scene is also a single subject, idea, or topic, so the paragraphs making up that scene have to be a continuous flow of the story the overall scene is telling.

Paragraphs are about clarity. The indent tells the reader something has changed, such as a character speaking, or or that that this character has finished speaking, and another character is going to speak.

A narrative paragraph indent tells the reader that one idea or bit of information has been stated, and that something new is being added to it.

Anyway, don't think about "effective breaks", think about "smooth transitions". If you write a single paragraph correctly, and end it when it should end, the first sentence of the next paragraph is what you would have written had you not changed paragraphs.

One exercise I learned in college was to write several pages of prose, we had to write five pages in that class, without even thinking about narrative paragraphs. Just tell your story without changing paragraphs.

When finished, go through and change paragraphs just by finding the point where it looks right and indenting.

You may well be surprised by how well you write in paragraph style when you aren't thinking about it.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
do you have a source that you can reference for this study? I'd be very interested to look at that.

I too would be interested in this study.

I racked my brain, trying to remember where it was I read that study, but I can't for the life of me remember. All I recall is that it was in the last few years, and it made enough of an impression on me that I keep it in mind when I'm writing.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
My master's thesis dealt with cartographic visualization so I'm familiar with the topic.

These links aren't the study guttersquid refers to but they're kinda in the ball park, geared toward teaching younger grade levels how to visualize what they read. The first link is a PDF file.

https://students.education.unimelb.edu.au/LiteracyResearch/pub/teaching_strategies/C_McKerrow_TS.pdf

http://www.slideshare.net/elkissn/visualizing-passages-and-assessments

There's tons of studies on various kinds of visualization. For paragraphs, just google "paragraph visualization." Some of the links are academic papers you have to buy to read though. Some are sure to put most people to sleep.:D

Regarding BloodSpatterAnalyst's original question, there are some rules with dialogue, but it's very much a matter of what feels right to the author.

A common technique many writers do when editing is to print portions of text out. Spread the pages out sequentially, and notice any longish portions of continuous paragraph lengths. Ideally, you want a mixture, so the reader doesn't get bored. The psychology is that variety (of paragraph length) is the spice of reading. Sentence length too, as well as other elements of writing (narration, exposition, dialogue, etc).

Hope that helps.

RhodaD'Ettore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
goinpostalnj.blogspot.com
YES! Stop second guessing yourself! It is your creation. no one can tell you it is wrong, it's yours. Can they tell you that you misspelled a word or that they did not like the story? of course. But how you choose to lay it out is your discretion.

Breath before you write.

Take too more breaths.

Then say "screw it! I'm right, that is why i am the writer" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.