Novel within a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
Just a silly idea as to be an irony in my current wip: what would your thoughts be reading pages/chapter(s) of a novel that are presented in a way as to have originated in the story itself?

This is confusing but here is the application (in my case).
The antagonist in my wip is an aspiring author, who as a subplot, challenges the mc to write a story about their relationship. As my novel progresses, we begin seeing the mc's story intertwined with the narrators story, and the final chapter revealing that the book we're holding in our hands is supposed to be the same book conceived in the mc's world.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
John Irving has done it (not exactly the same way). So you're in good company.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty complex and enlightening idea. I like the sound of that.

"We've got to go deeper."

"Deeper? What do you mean."

"A dream, within a dream, within a dream."

You catch my drift. Of course I'm paraphrasing, here (quite possibly making up lines of dialog), but Inception was an awesome story.

I would keep reading if I came across something like this. But the writing has to be good. (That's the most important part)

Last edited:

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the tone of the piece overall. Is the story meant to be comical? Is it full of fourth wall-breaking irony and self awareness? I think we'd need more contextual information.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the tone of the piece overall. Is the story meant to be comical? Is it full of fourth wall-breaking irony and self awareness? I think we'd need more contextual information.

More of a tragedy riddled with twists and humor, key to the mc's psychological recovery. I feel that the main story is very solid, but I'd like to introduce page-bending rhetoric that appeals to people who enjoy books. Such as the protag and antag's decision to develop their own story based things that have actually happened between them.

I imagine, if written brilliantly, we could read what the characters have come up with in place of what the narrator would have needed to say, offering different points of view, different writing styles, truth stretching backstory etc.

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I quite like the idea.
I think it would be hard to write well, but if you can then definitely do =)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always liked the story-within-a-story idea, but it all depends on the execution. One of my all-time favorite books, The Solitaire Mystery, has a story within the story which unfolds and intertwines as the main plot progresses. It worked extremely well.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The Blind Assassin is a novel within a novel within a novel. Or something like that. I don't remember the details, but I remember liking it more than some of the other stuff I've read by Atwood.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
This is sorta what I'm doing with my WIP. Stories within stories that relate and interact with each other. The two main stories eventually join into one. It's very challenging but enormous fun to write.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
The Blind Assassin is a novel within a novel within a novel. Or something like that. I don't remember the details, but I remember liking it more than some of the other stuff I've read by Atwood.

I really wanted to read the "novel within a novel" in that book. Sometimes I liked it more than the actual book.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst collaborated on something similar to what you're describing. It's been done a few times before, but like everything else in writing it depends mostly on the execution.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
In The Privilege of the Sword, Ellen Kushner includes quotes from the imaginary book, The Swordsman Whose Name Was Not Death. It works brilliantly, because it ties into the plot several different ways.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Sometimes it works. Maybe the most famous example is The King in Yellow (though that's a play within a story). There are plays within plays, like The Taming of the Shrew (though nobody performs the bookending "outer" segments anymore).

In The Thousand Nights and a Night there are, of course, stories within stories within stories within stories.

John Gardner had a couple of books within books. In October Light, definitely, and also, if I recall, in Freddy's Book.

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, The Lord of the Rings did something similar to this (it's been so long since I've read any of the books that it might have been made up for the movies for all I know, but it's a fair point nonetheless). I think it's awesome. Do it!

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
This is sorta what I'm doing with my WIP. Stories within stories that relate and interact with each other. The two main stories eventually join into one. It's very challenging but enormous fun to write.

I'm doing something similar. In revision now.

It hasn't been easy, but I rather like the end product.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, good question

I could have posted this question, too. In my WIP one character is missing in action, so to speak, lost in a foreign country. The story is told by the woman left behind who had been writing a journalistic series about the missing man. To present the story she has the missing man's journal and some of his short stories and poems. She sorts it all out for the reader and adds her own narrative along with interviews she completed with the missing man from earlier. He's her subject; she's also in love with him. She hopes the story will help locate him.

It seems so complicated. How does a writer keep it straight for the reader so they can follow the thread?

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a novel-within-a-novel story as well, though mine is more of a grown-up Neverending Story type thing, with just about equal amounts of time spent in the "real world" and "story world". I'm really enjoying writing it so far.

Actually, my main concern is how to properly format such a manuscript--I feel like using alternating fonts would be annoying, and potentially mess up my word count if I use the traditional 250/page counting method.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
The Great Gatsby
Seven Psychopaths

They're the only ones occurring to me right now, but both of them did it really well.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
The Haunted Book is a book within a book within A Book (those capitals are important).

As long as you work hard on avoiding pretentiousness and write it VERY well, it could be a good thing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.