Please Help--Snail Speed and Freezing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm not seeing this: Along the upper left you should have File, Edit. View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help.

I'm on the home msn page though--is that the right page?
On the upper right I clicked on a box with three horizontal lines in it and it showed "Add-ons." The upper top tab says "Add-ons manager. I'm stuck right about there. I have the following on the Add-ons page:

Get Add-ons
Extensions
Appearance
Plug-ins
Services

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
OMG! OF ALL THAT IS HOLY AND DECENT.

I just fixed the computer problem--it was truly one of the dumbest blunders I've ever made in my life. Short version--the wall where the telephone jack wire comes out goes to a small switching box with two hookups (before it goes to the router). One is Phone and one is DSL. When I disconnected that line and pressure cleaned the fitting last week, I plugged it into the Phone side instead of the DSL side. Which slowed down everything--like running on regular phone modem or some such thing. I thought, assumed, believed that the small switching box just had an extra connection.

Happy day, unless I'm mistaken. Computer is balls to the wall at the present. It damn well better keep that up.

I'm very embarrassed by summoning y'all to help with this problem. What I've learned--start from the very beginning where the power comes into the house--trace it all the way to the computer hookups--replace cable and line jacks exactly where you found them if you need to disconnect them.

Oh, boi,

chris

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahaha! Who among us hasn't done something like this? (My dad was a computer scientist hardware hotshot in the 60s. He was once flown first-class from Phoenix to Minneapolis because their big mainframe was not working at all. An enthusiastic custodian had hit the plug with his mop and pulled it out far enough that it wasn't fully connected to a power source.)

While we're all glad it's back to normal, I hope the suggestions here gave you some reminders you'll act on. You need to have and update antivirus/malware/spyware/adware software on a regular basis, and whatever documents, images, music, video, and programs you have that are important to you should be backed up in at least one other place.

Even though everything's fine now, please, please do that, okay?

Maryn, who likes a happy ending

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
<eyes own post wondering if it was only doing this while connected> Well, that was easy!!

Also, make sure any phones have DSL filters, rather than being plugged in raw.

Still, make backups. Backups. Backups. Did we mention backups?? <hits everyone until they agree to make backups>

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to backup on several disks and flash drives. That's all I have for now and I think I have enough room on those devices to do it. I have a C drive that is only 25% used, and a another big partitioned D drive that is empty.

I've learned a lot. CCleaner, clean and defrag. I have a paper document with all of my passwords and user names. I go to updates frequently and activate the most important ones.

Well, at least everyone knows what can happen when they see or hear of my symptoms and what the fix entailed.

I still have Adblock installed. Should I take that out and allow popups and banner ads?

I run my security program every day to guard against malware, spyware and viruses and such.

Thanks to all those who participated in this B-rated serial drama.

Chris

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Nasty ads are a security risk. If it were me, I want control over that kind of crap. I don't know if AdBlock lets you selectively allow ads or popups?? (I don't use it, I use a HOSTS file and NoScript, but it probably amounts to the same thing.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have Adblock. It dramatically affects how quickly some sites load, especially ones which have a video banner or sidebar on the home page. My internet is never all that fast, and stuff like that slows it to a crawl. Fine if I want to see a video, like YouTube, but when it's just pushing the latest movie or TV offering, I'm glad to have it blocked.

And for those who wonder, yes you can allow certain ads or block new ones which come though.

Maryn, who has most ads blocked

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I have Adblock. It dramatically affects how quickly some sites load, especially ones which have a video banner or sidebar on the home page. My internet is never all that fast, and stuff like that slows it to a crawl. Fine if I want to see a video, like YouTube, but when it's just pushing the latest movie or TV offering, I'm glad to have it blocked.

And for those who wonder, yes you can allow certain ads or block new ones which come though.

Maryn, who has most ads blocked

Hmm...I think you just solved another problem I've been having problems with my Yahoo, especially AW, which is loading slower than it did before at full steam. Couple other sites too. I'm going to hose that sucker.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.