Mama Jude's Pep Talk

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So how's everyone holding up with the holidays? I was beating myself up for not writing lately, but Christmas is hard work, you know? Especially with kids. So I hereby give myself permission to not write until after Christmas.

How about you?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I've found it a bit hard just given the shifts I've been on at work, but after tomorrow I'm off for a long stint, until Hogmanay I think, so I'm intending getting a lot done then. Just changed some more elements of my plot though so I have done a bit of research last few days, but that's about it.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
well, I'd love to finish my current WIP over the holidays but have a bad feeling it won't happen (that's the part of my brain not exactly sure how it's all unraveling).

But I'm off work Friday (Dec 24th) at noon until Jan 3rd when I'm back to the day job. But over the holidays, I get distracted by friends, movies, drinks, food....although I still hope to have a lot of time where I can buckle down and get some real decent WCs in. I'd like to read a novel of someone else's too :) and take it easy.

I'm not going to pressure myself...there, I'll conclude with that ;)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I'm going to watch movies and eat cookies all Christmas day .... well.... after I make the cookies that is. Hopefully get some editing done inbetween stuff. We're not doing the big family thing until New Years.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to go to work for a few days so I'm hoping to get a little writing done (what are airports for?).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, darlings, and have a happy and insanely productive New Year!

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm jealous of all of you who are getting words. :) I did get some plotting done while at the park yesterday--it's gloriously beautiful here.

And :hooray:! Mccardey's back! How was the research trip?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I am in editing and re-writing mode, but I am so hating the ending to my new WIP (is it a WIP if you wrote the end?)
I'm getting frustrated that I can't think of a satisfactory ending to what I think is a pretty good thriller!
But on a high note- I just got my brown belt today in karate!! Not to shabby for a 49-year old lady-

Ok- now I have to go stare at the curser some more- sigh-

Happy hoho peoples!!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to watch movies and eat cookies all Christmas day .... well.... after I make the cookies that is. Hopefully get some editing done inbetween stuff. We're not doing the big family thing until New Years.
we do the big family thingy New years too-

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo, shea!

I wrote at the airport! It was not an easy scene, but I persevered, and maybe later I'll look at it and it will be legible. Yay!

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

I am taking time off from writing to work on my craft by studying the craft. I'm going to continue writing short stories and working on the synopsis and outline for my crime novel, but I'm going to read several of my favorite books again and some I've not read by some great writers to determine what worked for them, what didn't, and what I can learn from each of them.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Shea. And good luck with the ending. :) Need any help, let me know.

I'm considering my current novel a study in writing rather than something I'll actually be able to send off, too, Todd. It's a sequel, and I've never done one before, and the plot is much more complex than usual for me. I don't think I'll be able to do anything with it, but I'm looking at it as a learning experience that will probably help me improve. Good luck. :)

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Boy do I need a pep talk. Going through some personal stuff at the moment. Had a huge disappointment last month that has thrown me completely off writing. I haven't written in a month now. can't even face opening the WIP. I want to get back to writing but it's like there's this big wall in front of me blocking me from any creativity.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Mr Write, or should I just call you Mister right now? open up that WIP and punch out some letters. it's not going to get easier if you wait for the push to do it. I mean obviously you want to, there's some sort of calling to it, or you wouldn't be on this thread, right?

Sorry about whatever it is that has thrown you from your writing. :( Sometimes life has a major way of interfering and sucking out all joy, including motivation to write. I was there just before joining AW about a year ago. BUT I was miserable because I wasn't writing. Sounds like you are too.

maybe just don't put any pressure on yourself...just open it up and see what happens...you might be surprised.

:poke:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
OneWriter thanks for the hug. I need it.

Sassy, thank you. I know the truth of what you said but sometimes you just need to hear (read) the words to get your brain into gear. I am going to open my WIP today and see what happens.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Boy do I need a pep talk. Going through some personal stuff at the moment. Had a huge disappointment last month that has thrown me completely off writing. I haven't written in a month now. can't even face opening the WIP. I want to get back to writing but it's like there's this big wall in front of me blocking me from any creativity.

:Hug2: I'm so sorry, MrWrite. Personal stuff can suck (how's that for words of wisdom? :tongue). And it really can throw us off.

Give Sassy's suggestion a shot. Try to make yourself write. See if that works.

If not, cut yourself a break. We all have seasons where it's not coming for us. Go easy on yourself. The last thing you want is to try to force yourself to write and not be able to, and be even more disappointed, or worse, write something that you hate and quit altogether.

Go easy on yourself. If you need an ear, I'm here. :Hug2:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Awww thanks jenn. :Hug2: I have the WIP open and am doing some light editing. So far it's going ok. I might even try writing a short story later just to get the creative juices flowing again.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of my revisions. Because I'm completely rewriting the ending, I'm finding it almost impossible to get over the 60,000 hurdle.

After a week of completing a chapter a day, I'm still 700 words off. :cry:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Awww thanks jenn. :Hug2: I have the WIP open and am doing some light editing. So far it's going ok. I might even try writing a short story later just to get the creative juices flowing again.

Excellent! Let us know how it goes. :)

I'm in the final stages of my revisions. Because I'm completely rewriting the ending, I'm finding it almost impossible to get over the 60,000 hurdle.

After a week of completing a chapter a day, I'm still 700 words off. :cry:

Nuts. I write short, too. But somehow, some way, it always works out. There's a bit of character development that can go in, a bit of description (which I'm usually too light on), an extra bit of dialog that will entertain and/or illuminate. Or something. :) You can do it! :e2cheer: And if you have a good beta, maybe they can suggest something?