lost iPhone voice memos & calendar entries

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My iPhone 5s has been acting glitchy for the last few weeks, losing calendar entries, not updating reminders, etc. Took it to Apple store on Thursday and after a bit the tech guy said I needed to restore the phone to factory defaults and then reload all my stuff. Bummer.

So, did that today, on the phone with Verizon tech support. As part of that, I had to upgrade the iOS to 8.xx - I was still on 7.xx.

Well, it didn't help with the calendar entries - those are still missing from before Feb 26, 2015. The missing ones are the one-off events, not recurring. Anything that was set to repeat daily, weekly,monthly, yearly are still there. The missing ones are the specific-to-that-time/day events, such as "interview for job" or "go to thrift shop" etc.

They're all in iCloud still. I can see them here when I log in to iCloud. So, ok. I'd like to get them onto my phone, but at least they're *somewhere.*

But - what's really bugging me is that all my voice memos were wiped off my phone during the software upgrade or the restore to default. And some of them were special - such as my old cat Patches, now dead, meowing. She had a loud, distinctive meow, and I still played it back sometimes. I want it back.

In iTunes on my MacBook Pro, it shows up under "iPad" in the left column, at the bottom. 20 of them there, with the names and lengths. But there is no voice memo app native to iPad - so where are those recordings? I can't find a way to get them out of iTunes and into my phone again.

Or can I save them to iTunes somehow? At least have them safe ...

I have another appt with the Apple genius bar next week, but it's 30 miles away. I'd prefer to not go if I don't have to ... but I want my Patches' meows back. :e2cat:

Any ideas? On the lost calendar entries or the lost voice memos? Thanks.

The Verizon tech guy said I could get everything back, but apparently not ...

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, discovered the voice memos are stored in iTunes, mixed in with songs. So now, how to get those back on to my iPhone? At least I know they're not totally gone. :)

iTunes%20Patches%20meows%20screenshot%20small_zpssrw4bcin.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's Patches, just for fun.
IMG_0302.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, what a pain. I have an iphone 5s too. I have the same problems (in fact, it's going on right now.) Apple has a huge problem with this. When it happened the first time (signing onto icloud it kept stating "you have an incorrect password." BS. It's not incorrect.) From looking on the Internet, I think icloud burps... a lot.

TO get your photos and stuff back on your iphone, you do that through iphotos. Hook up your phone to your computer and with iphotos, you can set up folders and name them. Then you click and drag the photos or videos, etc., onto the phone or into the folders. When the iphone is set up the way, you want, I've had to close iphotos.

Then on iTunes, click on the little iphone icon at the top; click on the "photos" on the left, then "sync" the iphone (lower right button). That should work to put the photos back on your phone.

The calendar, it seems like it wants to reset itself to a past date. It'll add stuff I've deleted, but the new updates remain (phew!)

Aww, thanks for the photo of Patches!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I just signed onto the wifi with my iphone 5S. The calendar has updated just fine. Here's what I suspect: when my Internet is slow, the icloud doesn't want to work (and thus, the calendar update doesn't work). Also, there may be times when icloud is burping. Bottom line: Wait a day and try again. You may have to wait a few days and ensure your connection is perfect.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The calendar seems to be reloading itself, slowly. When I went to the Apple store, the earliest entry that showed was February 26. Now I can look back to January 15 and see entries, but not before that. :Shrug:

No old voice memos on the phone, though. I'm hopeful that, since I can see them in iTunes, I'll be able to transfer them somehow.

I'll keep my appt at the Apple Store on Thursday and see what they can do.

ETA: The reminders aren't updating either. Completed tasks don't disappear ... they pretend to. I mark them as completed, but then they pop up again in the active section. I'll try to do that on the iPad and see if that crosses over to the phone.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, discovered the voice memos are stored in iTunes, mixed in with songs. So now, how to get those back on to my iPhone? At least I know they're not totally gone. :)

You can right-click and select "Reveal in Finder" (or Cmd+Shift+R) to see the actual files, and back them up to make sure you don't lose them again.

Patches is cute.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
No old voice memos on the phone, though. I'm hopeful that, since I can see them in iTunes, I'll be able to transfer them somehow.

When you sync the phone through iTunes, you should be able to drag-and-drop the voice memos onto the phone manually.

Alternatively, under your device, under "Music", you can check "Sync music", check "Include voice memos", and check either the Album or Genre "Voice Memos", then hit Sync.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Patches is back on my phone. Went to the Genius Bar to get it done - could have done it at home, following Kuwi's directions, but then I couldn't have checked out the new MacBook Pro 13" retina display ... ;)

The calendar entries continue to update the old stuff, slowly. Back to January 15 now. Plus figured out the updating Reminders problem.

Even my husband, a non-Apple user, admits that having the Apple Store to fix problems is a great thing.