.docx to .mobi?

Reformed Gypsy

Registered
Reaction score
If there is a thread for this, I apologize. Haven't been able to find it and I did look. *s*

How do you convert a .docx file to .mobi? Calibre? I know you can email directly to a Kindle email address and it converts automatically but readers and reviewers sometimes ask for it to be converted and sent as an attachment.

Many thanks,
Gyps

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
.doc to mobi via calibre

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Purely out of technologically ignorant curiosity, why in intergalactic space would you want to do this?

caw

If, for example, you want to email your MS to beta-readers, or an advanced copy to reviewers while you're still preparing the actual e-book, this will allow them to read it on their e-reader rather than the computer screen. Yes, you can read Word docs on an e-reader as well, but that involves a lot of scrolling and/or zooming, so converting the file just make it easier.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
.docx and .mobi

NOTE: My .docx file was from Atlantis Wordprocessor, but I have swapped my .docx files between Atlantis and Word 2010 and LibreOffice many times, so that should make no difference.

GOAL: To convert from .docx to .mobi.

ANSWER: You can do this in various ways, but to do it totally with free programs, this probably works best, and the results are very good.

1. Import the .docx file into Calibre.
  2. Convert the .docx file to .epub with Calibre. (Yes, .epub, not .mobi.)
  3. Go find the .epub in your Calibre library and make a copy, or save a copy of the .epub "to disk" from within Calibre. When you do the latter, you are allowed to select a folder, but the file name is automatic. It is a little different from the usual method.
  4. Use the copy of the .epub in the following way:
    • Import it into the Kindle Previewer (a free program).
    • The Kindle Previewer will convert the .epub to .mobi.
I know that it seems more complicated to use the Kindle Previewer in one of the steps, but I tested this whole process several times, and the Kindle Previewer processes the .epub to .mobi conversion better for any pictures that you have.

The .epub format is a better format than the Kindle format. I do not know why the Calibre conversion of .epub to .mobi scrunches the width of the pictures, but it does, and it does the same thing if you go directly from .docx to .mobi.

The Kindle Previewer, however, reduces the size proportionately for height and width, so you get a good graphic.

The resulting .mobi is a compound file that contains all the Kindle formats. This makes the file big, but you know that it will work on any Kindle (or it is supposed to).

Anyway, play around with Calibre and Kindle Previewer and see what works best for you.

Last edited:

J.R. Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
There is another way to convert Word doc & docx to mobi or epub. Download MobipocketCreator at https://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/ProductDetailsCreator.asp

Save your Word docx in other formats as Word doc 97-2003. (This is the only format that I'm aware of that mobipocket creator uses).

Not only is this way easier than using calibre, its free and its not a trial offer type program. It also allows you to look at your ebook as it would appear on an e-reader.

We all know that Word likes to toss in extra spaces and other things and by using Mobipocket you can see all those issues, and that allows you to nuke Word to clear all that garbage out.