WOrd 2013 & track changes

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
UPDATED BELOW.

So I'm having a REALLY weird problem with Word and Track Changes.

It's a 200-page file that I've downloaded from my editor with something like 900 edits (Yikes! But mostly commas and formatting).

So I start going through the line edits with Track Changes on, and I hate page 19 and Poof! The file ends. No more remaining 180 pages.

But here's where it gets weird. If I switch the Track Changes to show "no markup," Poof! I've got 200 pages again. But of course I can't see my editor's comments. Sigh.

I contact MS support. They futz around, eventually tell me it's because I've got too many event errors and my computer's corrupted, and I need to spend $150 on their service and tune-up. Um, no. This is ONLY happening to one file, not others, and, yeah, maybe I should tune up the computer, but I can do that for thirty bucks (or free). Not spending that money, especially when I don't believe it's the real problem.

But what on earth can it be? I've asked for the file to be re-sent, re-downloaded it, same thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled (from the MS website) Word 2013. No change. I even copied it to WordPerfect (my software of choice) and used reveal codes to see if I could find some sort of weird code around page 19, but nothing.

I've got a work-around -- Track changes on, markup set too "show no markup" and then have the changes in a separate pane, and I can scroll down that pane and find the highlighted spots -- but it's a "pane" in the butt and cumbersome as all heck.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It's making me cranky. More than usually so.

Last edited:

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
So, I found someone who had the same problem, and he posted a solution, but I can't do what he says. It requires saving the file in .zip format, and then editing a piece of it. When I save as a .zip, it's just one file, not the comments separate from the text, which is what I need to fix the problem.

If anyone else comes here looking for the solution, check out this link, and scroll down past the official answers to when the OP comes back with his solution: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...b870-398009f353b4/work-2013-track-changes-bug

I'm just going to do the cumbersome work-around and hope to never encounter this problem again. But I'm really, seriously miffed with Microsoft for having given me the runaround when I called them earlier. I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd said "we have no idea what's causing it," but instead they gave me baloney about my events log having too many errors in it. I thought I'd stumbled across a scammer instead of the official Microsoft site for a moment there.