Need web design software

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a position where I need to put together a basic web page fairly quickly. Main page, couple of sub-pages. Nothing fancy, just static pages.

What I need is:
- Free (not trialware)
- has built-in themes to copy from
- Is reasonably wysiwyg

I'm not generally involved in web page creation, so I have no idea what's available. I've already tried and rejected a couple of random items from googling, and it's beginning to look like I could spend more time looking for software than I'll spend creating the page, in the end.

So, suggestions? I don't need a be-all-and-end-all, just something that'll allow me to slap something together quickly and relatively painlessly.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, let me try again. I need to do some local web design on my computer for a web page that will be going up on a hosting site that isn't wp.com

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just use a text editor, any text editor.

You don't mention what OS you're using.

There's Kompozer (http://kompozer.net/) a multi-platform basic HTML editor.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, let me try again. I need to do some local web design on my computer for a web page that will be going up on a hosting site that isn't wp.com

sorry, just to clarify wp.org and wp.com are two different animals.

Wordpress.org is the base software that can be installed anywhere and on any domain (so long as it supports mysql) whereas wordpress.com is a site that uses the wordpress.org software. They've just preinstalled it to make it more accessible to the everyday user. So you can absolutely download the software from .org and run it locally, and then transfer it to a host. (setting it up locally involves a few steps, but there are a lot of tutorials to walk you through the process)
You could even sign up on wordpress.com just to give the software a quick run to see if you like it.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Blue Griffon is one that I would consider using...if I didn't already use a text editor ;)

And, if you do want to try a text editor, NoteTab Light is free and it has the handiest tag-pasting you could ever want. I've used it a lot. Just keep the page you're working on in a browser window and refresh it after changes.

As for templates, they're usually more trouble than they're worth. But Open Source Web Design looks like a good place to hunt.

SamjBowden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samuelbowden.com
Coffecup HTML editor has a free and paid version, but the free version is really nice. It has several build in themes you can edit.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First check your web provider. Most have free website functions

For me, no free anything is worthy. Best inexpensive software I use is WebEasy.

But if you don't want to pay hosting, and software, then you are limited and free means forced advertisements.

WP is the go-too otherwise

rt