The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this one: Membrane.

I like the pay and the description of what they're looking for. But I'm not particularly savvy on rights. :eek: Do they sound hinky or okay?

Nothing in the description sounded too offputting. They want non-exclusive publishing rights, it seems (and want stories that haven't been published *except* self-published pieces).

I sent them a query on Apr 20 and heard back on Apr 21, with them requesting to see the full story. I sent it on Apr 21. Haven't heard anything further yet.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Nothing in the description sounded too offputting. They want non-exclusive publishing rights, it seems (and want stories that haven't been published *except* self-published pieces).

I sent them a query on Apr 20 and heard back on Apr 21, with them requesting to see the full story. I sent it on Apr 21. Haven't heard anything further yet.
Okay good. Glad to have someone else weigh in with their impression. Thanks, Alex! They are going on my sub-to list.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I checked them out yesterday too, after your post. I'm not sure if these rights apply to all submissions, but here is what they say about the anthology:

Upon acceptance of your completed manuscript, Dreadful Cafe pays for non-exclusive, unlimited, 5-year publishing rights on the following schedule:
Short Stories (2,000-7,000 words) — $125
Novelettes (7,001-15,000 words) — $250
Novellas (15,001-30,000 words) — $500/Negotiable
It's your work.
We are simply paying for the rights to publish, market, and sell your completed manuscript as part of this or any other Dreadful Cafe anthology. You are encouraged to continue marketing on your own.
However, you will be unable to enter into any exclusive arrangement with other parties once you have sold rights to us.

(I bolded the bits that gave me some pause.) I'm not sure what it means that they want 5-year non-exclusive rights, but you can't enter into any exclusive arrangement with other parties once you sell to them. Usually there's at least a short period of exclusive print or e-rights even for a reprint.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It means that you won't be able to sell exclusive rights to somebody else because you're bound by this non-exclusive agreement. So if an anthology says they take reprints, but wants a year or two of exclusivity on them, you won't be able to submit to such a project. However, most places that take reprints do not have such requirements these days.

Of course, I'm basing all this on the text above and have not read the actual contract.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I haven't seen one that asked for 5-years, but the rest sounds normal now. They sound like a market worth checking out.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone submit for the debut issue of And We Were Hungry? If so, have you heard a response yet?

Thanks, :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted about this in Paying Markets, but I thought I'd give it a bump here since it seems ideal for Write One Sub One people. I run a monthly writing contest on my blog. This month there are two pictures you have to use in an integral way. Everyone who enters in the month of June gets a free copy of my e-novella A Sunset Finish. The winner gets $30. Here are the official rules: Photo Flare Contest

Last edited:

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Via Twitter:
One-Night Stands
https://pmmpublishing.submittable.com/submit/21806
We are currently looking for stories to publish as individual eBook shorts for our new "One-Night Stand" line. We will consider any genre, just as long as it is entertaining and creative. Hook us on the first line. Remember, our readers have all of literature at their sides; all it takes is one line that disinterests them to make them click away.

Compensation will be $20 and 30% royalties. We ask for 6 months exclusive rights.

All stories should be formatted 12 pt, any font. Also include a 50 word bio either in the email or attachment itself. Word count should be no less than 1000 words and no more than 15,000 words. We do not accept reprints; multiple submissions are fine.

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
CONTEST: NOTLP’s Flash Horror Contest 2013

Bram Stoker award-nominated author Jeremy C. Shipp will guest judge NOTLP’s first Flash Horror Contest. The winner will be paid a professional rate of 5 cents per word for First Worldwide Electronic rights. The winning story will be published on the NOTLP blog. All entries will be considered for publication.
Submission guidelines:
Word Count: 1000 words or less.
Submission deadline: July 31, 2013
Genre: Horror. The guest judge particularly enjoys character-based tales, vivid imagery, dark humor, unique monsters.
Reprints: No
Multiple Submissions: No
Simultaneous Submissions: No
Payment: 5 cents per word for the winning story.
Please include your contact information (name, address, email) and approximate word count on the title page.
Send submissions to [email protected]. Please write “NOTLP FLASH CONTEST: Title of Story” in the subject line of the email. Attach your story as an rtf or doc file.
We look forward to reading your stories.
Judging process: After reading through all the submissions, Jeremy will choose the top 5 flash stories. These 5 stories will be voted on by Jeremy as well as the NOTLP staff. The winning story will be decided based on these votes.
About the guest judge: Jeremy C. Shipp is the Bram Stoker Award-nominated author of Cursed, Vacation, and Attic Clowns. His shorter tales have appeared or are forthcoming in over 60 publications, the likes of Cemetery Dance, ChiZine, Apex Magazine, Withersin, and Shroud Magazine. His online home at jeremycshipp.com.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Neil Clarke (editor of Clarkesworld) is running a Kickstarter for a cyborg anthology, which has already hit it's goal, so it will be happening. He says open submissions will be in mid-August.

(There aren't detailed guidelines yet, but I figured some people might want a headstart.)

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
The Journal of Unlikely Cryptography Submission Guidelines

Announcing: The Journal of Unlikely Cryptography
Submission Guidelines

[Submissions Open July 1 - November 1, 2013.]
The Journal of Unlikely Cryptography is an unlikely offspring of The Journal of Unlikely Entomology. This will be an annual issue of fiction published under the Unlikely Story umbrella. It’s nominally (but not exclusively, because we’re not really good at drawing straight genre-delineating lines) a cyberpunk-flavored magazine, with a (non-exclusive) focus on stories involving cryptography.

What we’re looking for:

Beautifully-written fiction, characters that grab us by the throats and refuse to let go, worlds that draw us in and demand to be explored…and buildings. Genre isn’t particularly important to us—speculative, mainstream, slipstream, and the unclassifiable tales in between—we’ll read anything; all we ask is that the stories feature Information Technology as a prominent element of the tale. The focus of the magazine is Cryptography, so we’ll give preference to stories that involve cryptography (of course), ciphers, data privacy, surveillance, hacking/cracking, and so on. We’re interested in stories that demonstrate an understanding of the real technology, rather than pseudo-magical uses of information technologies which substitute “hacker” for “mage” and “source code” for “incantation.” We’re also interested in the wildly fantastical and surrealistic. Which is to say, we’re interested in almost everything except for the way Hollywood does it.
There are no barriers as to levels of profanity, gore, or sexuality allowed, but be sure to use them well if you do use them. There is no requirement for bugs in your story for The Journal of Unlikely Cryptography; neither is there a prohibition against them.

Word limit:

We’ll consider stories up to 8000 words, but strongly prefer stories of 5000 words or less. We’re open to flash fiction and fiction in non-traditional formats, but we do not publish poetry or non-fiction.

Pay rate:

We pay 5¢ per word for original fiction and 1¢ per word for reprints. Payment is made upon publication.

Full info HERE

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
This may be old news, but I noticed the other day that Lightspeed now pays $0.08/word instead of their previous $0.05.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The Lovecraft ezine's October Issue will once again feature stories in the tradition of Roger Zelazny's A NIGHT IN THE LONESOME OCTOBER. You will probably want to read last year's October issue to get a feel for what they like: http://bit.ly/14De7Mh ( I had one there last year, hoping to repeat the trick.)

$50 per story if over 3000 words, $25 for under 3000 words, pays by Paypal.

As well as the general guidelines for submitting stories: http://lovecraftzine.com/submissions/

The guidelines say they are closed, but they're definitely open for this special Halloween issue. They're a great market - I've sold a handful of stories to them and haven't a bad word to say about my dealings with Mike.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't figure out if this is a paying market, but it looks pretty cool. Especially for those of you who do so well with flash fiction.

Gigantic Worlds - SF Flash Book

According to their Kickstarter, they need to reach $20,000 to pay their "50 or so estimated authors professional rates." They're at $17,500 with 8 days to go as of this writing, so they'll very likely get there.

Meanwhile, I still haven't reached $1000 for the COFFEE anthology kickstarter. People would rather read Gigantic Worlds than Coffee? Grumblegrumble... :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
According to their Kickstarter, they need to reach $20,000 to pay their "50 or so estimated authors professional rates." They're at $17,500 with 8 days to go as of this writing, so they'll very likely get there.

Meanwhile, I still haven't reached $1000 for the COFFEE anthology kickstarter. People would rather read Gigantic Worlds than Coffee? Grumblegrumble... :)

I was pretty stoked to see some of the names included in the book, even if it isn't a paying market it would be an awesome TOC to be a part of.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story at C0njurings magazine that's been sitting there since early March. On Duotrope there seemed to have been about 3 responses over that time, and now they've shut to subs until October. I understand their parent company has been sorting out some unfortunate issues.

They allow sim subs but I'd like to sub my story at some places that don't take sim subs. I'm wondering whether to leave it in their slush and sub elsewhere anyway, because the slush might not see any action until October.

I've queried a couple of days ago, but not heard back yet. Checked Facebook and Twitter, and no signs of movement on any front.

Have thought about withdrawing it, but if I did, I might want to resubmit when their slush opens. Not sure if I can do that. I just don't want to have my story languishing somewhere for six months when it could be under active consideration somewhere else.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would withdraw and submit elsewhere. Semipro markets with no reputation or history behind them shouldn't sit on manuscripts for months and months. I don't mind waiting longer for places like TOR or Analog, but in a case like this, I'd just move on.