Share Your Successes!

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME!!! I'm thrilled for you, Dani!!!

Thanks =D It was an exciting day for me. Even not winning or making the final round. A little bittersweet, but still more sweet than anything =D.

WTG, Dani! You're in great company there.

tri

I know =D Nora Roberts and Julia Quinn I've been reading since I was I dunno how old and they are the ones that made me want to write in the first place.

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
Congratulations to everyone for their successes so far! You're an inspiration!

I have a little bitty one of my own to add. I was surprised to see that I made my Very First Sale today, of my short story "The Devil and Thomas Wright" on the Kindle store. I was so pleased that I was inspired to get some writing done this morning, and I'm two pages in to a fantasy story that I've been dying to write.

Jenny

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on that first sale, Jenny! May it act as the primer for the pump!

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
One year - six published.

2012 wrap up - in the course of one year I had six books (two novels and four novellas) published by six different publishers - 'cause I submitted more or less simultaneously. And I just put the covers on my signature in order to look at them and gloat :)
A year ago I still felt like this writing thing was touch and go and perhaps I was just fooling myself that I can do it. Then suddenly - baaam! I tell you I learned a lot working with six separate house editors during these months.
Next year I hope to jump to the next level and kick major ass.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
A lot of new contributors, I see, since I was here last. Sorry for the absence, guys and gals, but I've had a rough time of it with work and some health issues. I was able to get Book 6 finished in the BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE HUDSON series. It is now available on Amazon and Smashwords and will be out in paperback in a few days. I'm going to take a breather and get caught up on the various discussion forums.

I will say, that it looks like a lot of you are beginning to see some success. I'm so glad for everyone and I look forward to hearing more about your own adventures. Back in a day or so to have some nice chats with everyone.

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I keep deleting this and then typing it all over and then deleting it. Blah LOL I know reading y'alls successes and stories helped me, inspired me and did a lot to drive my self-publishing adventure.

I waited to add this until the voting was over, because I'm not scrounging for votes =D (I'm also reasonably sure I won't make the next round lol.)

I'm swooning a bit.

\o/ That's my name! Next to Nora Roberts, Julia Quinn, Sylvia Day, JR Ward etc! at the 2012 Goodreads Choice awards:

XRaXw.png

That is great company -- but what is the award? I can't quite tell from the picture. Did you have to submit your book or did they find it on their own.

And you made me laugh about writing the post then deleting it. I could see myself doing something like that. But hey, this thread is about posting your success -- time to toot your own horn! Congrats!

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
Better than Big Sales?

So in early September I published, The Day I Met Dr. Seuss and while I got great reviews, most of them were from friends and family (not that I didn't appreciate them) and my sales were pretty mediocre. Having read of other folks selling dozens of copies a day, this particular title (the one I promoted the most heavily) sold 14 copies in the month of October and was borrowed 8 times (by Prime Members).

This was much less than I expected and I must admit I indulged in a bit of feeling sorry for myself, wondering if I had missed the best time to publish on Kindle, wondering if other niches were better, etc.

Then about a week ago I realized I should, as a minimum, run another free day -- just a single day and i didn't do the extra work of posting about the free day all over the place.

So almost 1000 free downloads, but more importantly I discovered that in the last week I've gotten a couple new reviews from unexpected sources -- just readers coming across the book and taking a look.

Not to sound like Sally Fields at the awards ceremony, but the idea that "they liked me" or "they liked my writing" was worth a huge amount to me.

I go back to the fact that self-publishing, and yes, I know that e-publishing is not necessarily self-publishing -- is really about being able as a writer to connect to readers.

Kindle makes it possible for writers to publish and promote at a pretty modest cost. To get positive feedback and know that you entertained or touched or helped a reader is HUGE. It will preserve your sanity as a writer, or at least it did mine.

I'm involved in a couple marketing forums where people talk about writing for the popular niches on Kindle because you can make the most money and having books ghost-written. I'm glad I didn't go that route.

So that is my success story for today -- learning that a reader really enjoyed what I wrote, even thought it was clever. Imagine that

Trevor Z

Learning About New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorzawalich.com
Not sure if this counts as a success story, but I recently published my debut novel, Dreamstate: Dark Eyes, and by recently I mean about 4 days ago.

The sales have been, mediocre, to be honest (in the low teens), but I still get this amazing rush when I see another copy sold. Some of them are from friends and family, obviously, but not all. It's cool to think that a random someone out there saw the book, checked out the preview, and decided that something I created was worth paying for.

I've been running the social networking PR circuit like a madman for the past week or two trying to drum up support. Things seem to be moving along, so hopefully even more successes await.

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as a success story, but I recently published my debut novel, Dreamstate: Dark Eyes, and by recently I mean about 4 days ago.

The sales have been, mediocre, to be honest (in the low teens), but I still get this amazing rush when I see another copy sold. Some of them are from friends and family, obviously, but not all. It's cool to think that a random someone out there saw the book, checked out the preview, and decided that something I created was worth paying for.

I've been running the social networking PR circuit like a madman for the past week or two trying to drum up support. Things seem to be moving along, so hopefully even more successes await.

That's great, Trevor. Yes, simply getting a book published so you CAN connect with readers is a success in my 'book' (pardon the pun).

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody is doing big things and here I am,moving like a snail!

Still,I get inspiration from all of you.

I am making progress in the editorial department. The people I am looking at have so far received excellent references and that means a lot!

I'm also still figuring out the e publishing world and despite being a tad confused,I am getting to an understanding. That isn't much,lol,but I feel like I'm making some kind of moves.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Don't know if it's a success or not, but I seem to be heading in a favorable position for Freebies on The War Gate. It will be free on Amazon Kindle for three days, starting today. Any free downloads will be humbly appreciated. I sure would like to hit the top 100 freebie list. Oh, and "likes" are very welcome too! You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008SDVEQU/?tag=absowrit-20

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
@Bookmama - That's great...a very good success story!

@Trevor Z - Congratulations on your debut novel. From what I've heard on these threads, the low teens in 4 days is pretty awesome for a new author...cheers!

@Chris - Hope you hit the 100!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I keep deleting this and then typing it all over and then deleting it. Blah LOL I know reading y'alls successes and stories helped me, inspired me and did a lot to drive my self-publishing adventure.

I waited to add this until the voting was over, because I'm not scrounging for votes =D (I'm also reasonably sure I won't make the next round lol.)

I'm swooning a bit.

\o/ That's my name! Next to Nora Roberts, Julia Quinn, Sylvia Day, JR Ward etc! at the 2012 Goodreads Choice awards:

XRaXw.png

That's so awesome Dani!
I found out I've sold over 100 copies since my debut novel was released six days ago. My debut novel is currently the top selling menage book at Samhain and I'm currently number 2 best seller for Paranormal Romance and Alternate Reality Romance while the number one is a free read. And number 2 for holiday romance and BD/SM romance. I'm very delighted and amazed.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
2012 wrap up - in the course of one year I had six books (two novels and four novellas) published by six different publishers - 'cause I submitted more or less simultaneously. And I just put the covers on my signature in order to look at them and gloat :)
A year ago I still felt like this writing thing was touch and go and perhaps I was just fooling myself that I can do it. Then suddenly - baaam! I tell you I learned a lot working with six separate house editors during these months.
Next year I hope to jump to the next level and kick major ass.
Congrats Dondo! I wish I could be prolific. I suck at getting much done in a week around the rest of life. That is awesome. You will learn so much from the editing process that your writing will improve and help you on to better things.
Congrats everyone in this thread.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Delighted for you Trevor, I think we released the same date, the 8th dec! Best of luck with your book.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And one for myself...

And one for myself :)

Just wanna say how thrilled I am, now that I can call myself a proper, self-published author. Local copies of my paperback novel are doing very well, and I have 6 copies sold on Amazon, 3 Pb and 3 Kindle.

Ahh the feeling. I know I won't make a living out of this anytime soon, but it's a great feeling nonetheless.

Congrats to all who are sharing their success here.

kingsley

Registered
Reaction score
Our first book, a collection of fairy tale short stories has disappointed despite a few good reviews.

However, this is a happy thread, so i'm excited to report our first title has had good success. It has sold over 2500 copies in its first month and made it to #5 in Regency Romance on Amazon!

This has been beyond our wildest expectations, but i won't be quitting my day job (yet). :)

Last edited: