The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, everyone on you goals, especially you Joy! I didn't quite reach mine, but I did write about 2K of a new gothic chapter book I conjured up. Add that to the roughly 15K I had written on my new MG, and I that's progress!

The chapter book is going to be approx 20-22K and the MG about 45K. I haven't had a problem working on them both concurrently, so hopefully I'll have two new books to add to my achievements by early next year.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

Okay, I just can't with the WIP I'm working on.

I redid all my notes from Save the Cat! and the blog post Joy linked to and I thought I was okay... but then I read Save the Cat Strikes Back, and I discovered a fundamental flaw in my plot... like, I'm not even sure who my hero is anymore.

So... I'm going to have to go back to board and figure this out... I still want to win NaNo, though. But instead of wasting the writing on a broken story, I'm going to draft something just for fun... it's not productive, but it'll at least be practice, I guess.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

Okay, I just can't with the WIP I'm working on.

I redid all my notes from Save the Cat! and the blog post Joy linked to and I thought I was okay... but then I read Save the Cat Strikes Back, and I discovered a fundamental flaw in my plot... like, I'm not even sure who my hero is anymore.

So... I'm going to have to go back to board and figure this out... I still want to win NaNo, though. But instead of wasting the writing on a broken story, I'm going to draft something just for fun... it's not productive, but it'll at least be practice, I guess.

I opened an account for NaNo, but don't really follow it. I go by my own time. :D

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The answers will come. Just give it some time. Work on another project exclusively for Nano if you can. :Hug2:

As for me (and thanks to your encouragement), I'll be waiting to see if I made Bakers Dozen. Entry #101 baby! Let's do this! :box:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Daniela, good luck with Baker's Dozen! Also, Pitch Wars is coming up in about a month!

Heza, how great that you're figuring out the plot issues NOW and not after you've finished a draft. Have fun with whatever you're drafting for NaNo!

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
How's everyone doing? Is everyone lost to Nano?

I had a milestone in that I finally sent the second half of my WIP to new Betas. It was exactly like ripping off a bandaid, and the anxiety only lessened slightly having hit send. Very worried the climax/ending won't live up to the hype built up in the first half, but there's no way to know without going through this, right? Right? (Like if there's another way, please tell me, I'm a wreck over herrrr)

If either of you are reading this, HI! THANKS! PLEASE LOVE IT! KTHXBAI!

Hope everyone else is writing up a nano storm :)

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
You did good and it'll be fine.

Can I put you on my speed dial and you can just shout this at me when I'm freaking out?

(also, thanks. I'm taking deep breaths and reminding myself that this is how we improve :) )

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Can I put you on my speed dial and you can just shout this at me when I'm freaking out?
Sure, although technically I never shout. I'm a big believer that those who fail to hear a shout will strain to hear a whisper.

So I can whisper it to in your ear. ;)
(also, thanks. I'm taking deep breaths and reminding myself that this is how we improve :) )
It's hard to let go of something and put it out there for others to read. Harder still to give it to beta readers, knowing they are actually trying to look for something wrong with it. But it's all in the name of improving, which is good. And you'll be fine. It'll all be fine. They'll make suggestions and you'll turn a great story into a totally kick-ass awesome story.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You guys? If one more agent tells me they're sure another agent is going to snatch me up, I am going to...well, probably do nothing but sit and fume.

I'm also NOT on track to finish my draft by the end of the month, as I'd planned. Big freelance project + flu bug for the whole family + death in the family have made for almost no writing the last couple weeks.

I am seriously cranky in the writing department.

Excited for Pitch Wars, though. Is anybody entering?

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
You guys? If one more agent tells me they're sure another agent is going to snatch me up, I am going to...well, probably do nothing but sit and fume.

I'm also NOT on track to finish my draft by the end of the month, as I'd planned. Big freelance project + flu bug for the whole family + death in the family have made for almost no writing the last couple weeks.

Geez, Joy. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Condolences. You'll be back on track in no time. Let's not forget that you got 25K words in a month!

Pitch Wars sounds exciting. You'll do great as a mentor. Anyone would be lucky to have you reviewing their work. :)

Me? I'm a little intimidated by the prospect. I entered Baker's Dozen earlier this month, but it doesn't make me as nervous as Pitch Wars. I don't know. I've become such a chicken lately. :(

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, you'll get that marvellous email from an agent telling you they want to sign you up. Any day now. Soon. I believe in you.
So sorry and condolences to you. :Hug2:

Erm, Pitch Wars. I should know what that is, shouldn't I?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Erm, Pitch Wars. I should know what that is, shouldn't I?

Yes! You should - since you're querying now, aren't you? How's that going, by the way? Pitch Wars is a contest hosted by Brenda Drake. The agent list is great this year. You apply to mentors who read your query and manuscript and help them polish it up to present to agents. Details are here. The fun starts this week.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! You should - since you're querying now, aren't you? How's that going, by the way?
I think I need to put more effort into it. Have done nothing. But I've had some problems in RL the last few weeks, so just haven't been up to doing stuff. I will, though. Starting next week. Promise.

(I so didn't cross my fingers ;) )
Pitch Wars is a contest hosted by Brenda Drake. The agent list is great this year. You apply to mentors who read your query and manuscript and help them polish it up to present to agents. Details are here. The fun starts this week.
Sounds interesting. You can be my mentor, but you have to bring cake. ;)

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score

Joy - I'm sorry for the rough patch. But it sounds like you'll be ready for battle in Pitch Wars! Good luck.

Me? I'm a little intimidated by the prospect. I entered Baker's Dozen earlier this month, but it doesn't make me as nervous as Pitch Wars. I don't know. I've become such a chicken lately. :(

Don't fry yourself yet - you are not a chicken. Evidence: Baker's dozen, posts on AW, Charlie Chaplin. It's okay not to participate in everything at once, and it seems you still have some time to decide if you want to do so or not :)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yes! You should - since you're querying now, aren't you? How's that going, by the way? Pitch Wars is a contest hosted by Brenda Drake. The agent list is great this year. You apply to mentors who read your query and manuscript and help them polish it up to present to agents. Details are here. The fun starts this week.

HOW DID I MISS THE AGENT LIST (I thought it was going up this weekend with the mentor bios) I did Pitch Wars last year and LOVED IT. A lot of the mentors send personal feedback even to those they didnt choose. I was an alternate last year and even that was amazing. My opinion is Pitch Wars is the contest that puts all other contests to shame :) the mentors have a full month to polish the whole ms with their mentees which is pretty crazy awesome.
I'm definitely entering, for sure, yes. (Can you tell I'm excited? )

I ended up switching my nano from a YA to a new MG book just because, and its pretty awesome if I do say so myself, even though I'm behind. I might not finish this month but I'm enjoying it!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Tromboli, I'm going to enter Pitch Wars, too. I feel like it's a long shot that I'd ever get picked, but what an amazing opportunity. That's fantastic that you were an alternate last year! And congratulations on your WIP! Go, Tromboli, go!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Oh! That makes sense :) (also makes sense why I couldn't find it when I looked lol)I'm kind of pitch contest obsessed. I love them all. Makes querying so much easier IMO. Really gets your mind off it while meeting new people and seeing others work and it's made me a much better writer.

Thanks SuperKate Good luck to you too!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Pitch Wars sounds fun... all these contests sound fun. I think I'm going to make a goal of making goals for next year. Like, I just write and whenever I get done, I get done. But I think it will help me to make a commitment to enter some of these things--to have that deadline to work toward, you know?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone!

I hope you are all busy reaching your writing goals. I've managed to write a lot this last week. My latest manuscript is up to 43k words, and I have a pretty good idea what needs to happen next to get me to the end. Yay!

My problems is that I've discovered that I'm a really disorganized writer. I think I need to keep some sort of notebook while I write, so I can remember things like character descriptions, or the names of places I've made up - all that world building stuff. Do any of you use something like that?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday, Shelia. And to everyone else.

Congrats on getting to 43k, that's a big number. And the end is near. Even betterer.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Second round of edits came back. Major subplot needs revamping. Plus more cuts. I swear, edits on this book has been like gouging myself in the thigh with a leather carver. (It flowed so easily, too. That's probably why.)

Send gin.