Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
I've hemmed and hawed about whether or not I should write too much in reply to Stacia here, since this isn't my thread, and this sub-subject has entirely derailed from the topic at hand, which I never intended. For that, I apologize, Ann. On the other hand, though, I don't want to ignore Stacia, either. So I decided to be as quick as possible, so that this thread can get on with its actual subject without any further whining from me:

If we have issues with the tastes of readers, if we wish books we thought were better books were more popular than books we consider lousy, well, that's our issue.

Exactly. And I was thinking about this this morning at the gym, and I realized that it's not about catering to the lowest common denominator. It's about getting the broadest audience possible. So a book that is to be successful must relate to the most basic levels that all human beings share, so that the majority of readers feel they can relate. This doesn't mean I think Twilight deserved the hype it got, but at least I can understand it, now. :ROFL:

Anyway, I'd say more but I really already did on this thread, which you're already at, so I'll be finished with this now. Again, I apologize. I am thankful that I have learned something from all this.

BACK to the topic at hand... Ann, it seems your strategy of selling hard copy books has been pretty successful. I think maybe indie success is all about juggling ebooks and paper books in a way that is effective across the board. Thanks for that lesson. :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I may have missed this earlier. Do you have a website? I'd love to see your craft projects. Bazaars and craft shows are fabulous places!! I used to make $280-$400 at each one I did back before my cancer situation. I have a breathing issue now from radiation hitting my lung during treatment that makes it difficult to be a vendor.

Enjoy your time with your daughter!!! You're right aout it being a win-win for both of us.

Hey Merri, Sorry, No website for the arts and crafts either. Actually I did mall shows for many many years, most of them juried, and I did quite well until I finally burned out. I'm only doing this one so I can get rid of my inventory. I plan to see if I can wholesale my remaining calligraphy to a store or two afterward.

Here's a funny story about those lamps. A few years back, I decided to make one for my bedroom. Loving the way it turned out, I went out and bought scads of lamps and in a mad frenzy, began to embellish the shades with leaves and/or flower petals. After I had about twenty finished, it dawned on me that I no longer do craft shows! Nice. Well, long story short, I sold a few to friends, then found a couple of stores that were willing to take them on commision. At that time, they sold for between fifty and seventy bucks. Now I've marked all but one down to $40, just to try and move them. Marked down the calligraphy too, and of course there's a nice display of...wait for it...wait for it...Heart Song! Can't wait to see how it goes.

Very sorry to hear about your breathing issues and the cancer. Nasty stuff. Again, have a great tomorrow!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, it seems your strategy of selling hard copy books has been pretty successful. I think maybe indie success is all about juggling ebooks and paper books in a way that is effective across the board. Thanks for that lesson. :)

Thanks, Morgan. I feel like, at the very least, I'm off to a pretty good start. I can't wait to get it up as an e-book in the next couple of weeks so I can see how that's going to go. So hoping I can sell some at the show tomorrow. Have a lovely week-end!

M R Mortimer

SF Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suspendedearth.com
Congratulations on getting the baby born. I also keep a box in the car. It's a great promotional tool to be able to not just say I am a writer, but to show it. It is amazing how many dusty, creaky hinged wallets fly open to a box of books in the boot (trunk for the Americans). It's a nice boost to the brick and mortar sales because you have the money in hand, rather than waiting sometimes months for the store sales to land in the bank.

MorganMarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
Thanks, Morgan. I feel like, at the very least, I'm off to a pretty good start. I can't wait to get it up as an e-book in the next couple of weeks so I can see how that's going to go. So hoping I can sell some at the show tomorrow. Have a lovely week-end!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, and you have a wonderful weekend too. :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting the baby born. I also keep a box in the car. It's a great promotional tool to be able to not just say I am a writer, but to show it. It is amazing how many dusty, creaky hinged wallets fly open to a box of books in the boot (trunk for the Americans). It's a nice boost to the brick and mortar sales because you have the money in hand, rather than waiting sometimes months for the store sales to land in the bank.

Thanks, M R! Awesome to hear about others carrying books in their boot (love it). I think we need to use every tool available to us.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, fellow authors and other interested parties. I thought I’d post the results of yesterday’s craft show, as well as my combined sales to date. That show marked exactly 3 weeks since I launched my debut novel.

I sold 7 books at the seven hour craft show, which I thought was simply wonderful for an unknown author! I’m not sure if that’s considered good or bad in the eyes of others, but it was very exciting to me. The last buyer is about to start a book club with about 10 others and was going to talk to the ladies about reading my novel for their first book. I told her I would write a list of questions they might like to discuss and print them out for each of the ladies if they decide on my novel, and if they would like me too. She thought that was a great idea. We will talk this coming week. The bonus: when I got home, there was an order in my mailbox, bringing total sales to 8 for the day.

Breakdown for 3 weeks total sales:

Book signing open house – 42
Dentist office (2 receptionists) & to strangers - 9
From letter - 5
Mail orders (no letter) - 2
Miscellaneous sales – 14

Total – 72

PS: Regarding the lamps—I don’t know how any of you feel about prayer, but because it’s how I roll, it’s the first thing on my agenda. That said, I had prayed on my way to the show that every lamp would sell because I need to get them out of my basement to make room for books, etc. That prospect looked grim because I didn’t sell a single one until mid-afternoon. Then when we were packing up at the end of the day, a woman came and bought one (for a grand total of two sales). As it turned out, she is a business owner in the area, and said she’d take the remaining 11. All I have to do is deliver them to her store next Tuesday. Yip yip yippee! All in all, it was a blessed day and a blessed three weeks. Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
To Ann: You rock! I wish you the best of luck with your book.

To Morgan: Others have commented on your posts, and you've responded, but I want to add one more thing. When you say:

I have to say that the gatekeepers can be VERY exclusive and judgmental. If it's not PERFECT, or doesn't fit into a boring, formulaic niche that they have decided the public wants, then it's not good enough for them.

...you are not only insulting authors, like me, you are insulting the editors who publish them. I know my MG editor googled me, and spent an hour talking with me on the phone before she made her official offer. Given the amount of time editors spend working with writers, shepherding them through publication and beyond, I can't blame her.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mccardey. I was very happy with my sales and have posted details below. The company was great too!

That's a valid reason to self publish.

I wish you luck, but I think you've already met your goals of getting published and that total sales aren't really the point. And I suspect that, for you, it's the perfect ending to your journey.

Congratulations.

Jeff

Jeff, I've got to tell you, you really nailed my heart with this comment. In fact, I cried when I read it. The publishing WAS my number one priority. I've worked too hard for too many years to not see the fruit of it while I have breath. The sales matter, too, because that means people are reading what I've written, but seeing that book in hard copy and holding it in my hands was an experience of a lifetime.

Even so, I do not see it as the end of my journey, but as one has stated so perfectly: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." If it ends here, so be it; if it takes wings, I'm ready to fly. Thanks so much for your congratulations. I so appreciate all who've taken time to offer support and encouragement.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I am not meaning to rain on your parade here, but let me ask a question, and explain why I ask...

How many books have you sold in the three weeks to non family or friends. The reason I ask is because its been written that most self published authors can sell about 300 books just to family, friends, and acquaintances. The hard part is selling to strangers that have no interaction with you outside of family, friends, work, club groups, etc.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I am not meaning to rain on your parade here, but let me ask a question, and explain why I ask...

How many books have you sold in the three weeks to non family or friends. The reason I ask is because its been written that most self published authors can sell about 300 books just to family, friends, and acquaintances. The hard part is selling to strangers that have no interaction with you outside of family, friends, work, club groups, etc.

No worries about raining on my parade, Nick. Actually, in an allegorical way, it’s feeling pretty sunny and clear to me right now, but I do thank you for your concern.

Out of the 72 I’ve sold, 16 were to strangers so far, which is a little over 22%, or 1/5 of the buyers. I’m pretty comfortable with that figure at this juncture of my journey. I sure hope you’re right with those numbers for sales to family and friends, etc., because that means it’s quite likely I’ll gain quite a few more sales that way, which will lead to more exposure. From what I’ve learned on AW, it is word of mouth more than anything that will get me wider reader recognition at this stage of the game (besides writing another novel). As I mentioned above somewhere, I put a couple of my promotional postcards in every book I sell and ask the reader to pass them on if they like my book.

Being the new kid on the block, I don’t want to be contrary in any way, but I do want to tell you how surprised I was to read your statement that most self-published authors can sell 300 books just to family and friends. I’ve read post after post by authors saying they’ve sold a few that way, but not enough to make a difference. Some say they can’t even get friends to buy. That said, I’m sure you’re right, being much more experienced in these matters than I am.

Still, I am okay about where I am right now. I would have thought 22% of my books being bought by strangers this early on would be considered pretty good, but then again, I am a novice, bumbling along, learning as I go. Check in again down the road…perhaps I’ll have some better figures to report. Meanwhile, thanks for your input.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Great news, Ann! And, how fabulous about the lamps!!! We are both blessed and so very fortunate. I'm also thankful our paths crossed here at AW.

Thanks so much, and I was happy to hear of your sales as well. We are blessed, and I too, am thankful our paths have crossed here at AW.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
THIS is awesome, ANN!! <3 Congratulations!

Good morning, fellow authors and other interested parties. I thought I’d post the results of yesterday’s craft show, as well as my combined sales to date. That show marked exactly 3 weeks since I launched my debut novel.

I sold 7 books at the seven hour craft show, which I thought was simply wonderful for an unknown author! I’m not sure if that’s considered good or bad in the eyes of others, but it was very exciting to me. The last buyer is about to start a book club with about 10 others and was going to talk to the ladies about reading my novel for their first book. I told her I would write a list of questions they might like to discuss and print them out for each of the ladies if they decide on my novel, and if they would like me too. She thought that was a great idea. We will talk this coming week. My question about that is, how do I present the questions without giving the story away as they read? Not sure how to proceed. The bonus: when I got home, there was an order in my mailbox, bringing total sales to 8 for the day.

Breakdown for 3 weeks total sales:

Book signing open house – 42
Dentist office (2 receptionists) & to strangers - 9
From letter - 5
Mail orders (no letter) - 2
Miscellaneous sales – 14

Total – 72

PS: Regarding the lamps—I don’t know how any of you feel about prayer, but because it’s how I roll, it’s the first thing on my agenda. That said, I had prayed on my way to the show that every lamp would sell because I need to get them out of my basement to make room for books, etc. That prospect looked grim because I didn’t sell a single one until mid-afternoon. Then when we were packing up at the end of the day, a woman came and bought one (for a grand total of two sales). As it turned out, she is a business owner in the area, and said she’d take the remaining 11. All I have to do is deliver them to her store next Tuesday. Yip yip yippee! All in all, it was a blessed day and a blessed three weeks. Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ann,

Just caught this post thirty minutes ago, glued to it since.

Delighted for you, I really am. Like you mentioned a few posts ago, the thrill of holding a hard copy of your book in your hands is unreal. I had that honour last month when I ordered a proof copy.

Keep up the great work.

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
THIS is awesome, ANN!! <3 Congratulations!

Thank you, Kelly! I just went and read the sample of your debut novel. You had my attention. Your reviews are wonderful too. Congratulations to you as well!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann,

Just caught this post thirty minutes ago, glued to it since.

Delighted for you, I really am. Like you mentioned a few posts ago, the thrill of holding a hard copy of your book in your hands is unreal. I had that honour last month when I ordered a proof copy.

Keep up the great work.

Spell-it-out - Thank you so much. I still remember when I held my proof (just a short time ago). I bawled like a baby. I'm so happy for you and wish you nothing but the very best! I plan to update sales whenever I think it's worth posting, and if I have some terrible months, I'll post that too. Here's to happy readers!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Around 75-100 has been the figure I've seen bandied around about self-published paperback book sales (mostly from friends/family). I have quite a few titles out, but haven't sold 100 of any of them in paperback format. Well, there is one short story that is close (around 80-85 copies sold from me directly). Paperback sales have been considerably lower than e-book sales. I consider 1-5 paperback sales a month great for an unknown self-published author. I received more sales last year around Christmas, but when it's averaged out, it goes back to that 1-5 sales a month.

At the bazaar I was at yesterday, it was the short stories that seemed to sell the fastest and the highest number. I think the low price point of $5.00 made it easier for someone to reach into their pocket. At that rate, I made about $1.00 a book. That's more than I make with e-book short stories (I generally sell short stories for $.99 cents online and receive $.35 cents per sale). The folks who purchased trilogies tended to buy all the books in the trilogy instead of just the first one. Very different beast, face-to-face sales direct from me.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
As far as friends and family goes, I think they are way over-rated. ;-) I'm kind of like the red-headed stepchild in that it took a long time before anyone in my family bought my first book. Partly it was because it was an ebook and only one family member had an ereader at the time. She bought it on a Nook--but only at my dad's insistence because he wanted to see how to buy a book with an ereader as he was about to buy one. She hasn't ever said if she read it. A month later, another sister bought my book with her Kindle app for her iPhone. She has not read the book. Another sister eventually bought and did read it--I think. My three sister's in law bought/read it though, so that's something. lol. Although they might have got it when it was free. Not sure if any have read the other books.

Friends...hmmm...my bff bought the first about six months after it came out. She then bought the other three almost as soon as they were published. My other very good friend bought a paperback from me when I brought it into work last spring. I think it's the only book I've ever seen her read.

So, my point is I think Ann has done remarkably well and if she can do this well with a paperback, what will she do with an ebook? I expect that with her drive and ingenuity, and assuming it's a good book, her prospects are good for success.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Around 75-100 has been the figure I've seen bandied around about self-published paperback book sales (mostly from friends/family). I have quite a few titles out, but haven't sold 100 of any of them in paperback format. Well, there is one short story that is close (around 80-85 copies sold from me directly). Paperback sales have been considerably lower than e-book sales. I consider 1-5 paperback sales a month great for an unknown self-published author. I received more sales last year around Christmas, but when it's averaged out, it goes back to that 1-5 sales a month.

At the bazaar I was at yesterday, it was the short stories that seemed to sell the fastest and the highest number. I think the low price point of $5.00 made it easier for someone to reach into their pocket. At that rate, I made about $1.00 a book. That's more than I make with e-book short stories (I generally sell short stories for $.99 cents online and receive $.35 cents per sale). The folks who purchased trilogies tended to buy all the books in the trilogy instead of just the first one. Very different beast, face-to-face sales direct from me.

Thanks, Merri, Those figures for friends and family sound a bit more realistic to me. 300 is a lot of people, but perhaps he was referring to more than one title, instead of sales on a single. *shrugs* No matter, I still feel quite happy with my figures after 3 weeks. Thanks for your input - valuable, as always. Can't wait to get it on KDP!

As far as friends and family goes, I think they are way over-rated. ;-) I'm kind of like the red-headed stepchild in that it took a long time before anyone in my family bought my first book. Partly it was because it was an ebook and only one family member had an ereader at the time. She bought it on a Nook--but only at my dad's insistence because he wanted to see how to buy a book with an ereader as he was about to buy one. She hasn't ever said if she read it. A month later, another sister bought my book with her Kindle app for her iPhone. She has not read the book. Another sister eventually bought and did read it--I think. My three sister's in law bought/read it though, so that's something. lol. Although they might have got it when it was free. Not sure if any have read the other books.

Friends...hmmm...my bff bought the first about six months after it came out. She then bought the other three almost as soon as they were published. My other very good friend bought a paperback from me when I brought it into work last spring. I think it's the only book I've ever seen her read.

So, my point is I think Ann has done remarkably well and if she can do this well with a paperback, what will she do with an ebook? I expect that with her drive and ingenuity, and assuming it's a good book, her prospects are good for success.

You gave me quite a chuckle, Ms M...thanks for the vote of confidence...I am excited to get that e-book going to see if I will have any success with it. I do think it's a good story (I've had quite a few say they couldn't put it down - several read it in 2 days, one read it in 1 day, so that's encouraging). Of course, not everyone will like what we write and I'm okay with that; I dealt with that in the arts and crafts world for over 20 years. I hope your own success grows beyond your wildest dreams.

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com

Um, yeah. 300 sold to family and friends is an extremely high estimate, I think. When my debut novel was published (not self, but indie) I estimated that I'd be able to count on 200 purchases from friends/family, but in reality I would estimate that it's only been about 50. And not the 50 that I would have predicted.

My book is very much a story aimed at female readers, but more of my guy friends have bought it than girlfriends. Only one of the nine gal pals I currently hang out with has bought it, but friends from college fifteen years ago (guy friends at that) have bought it.

And although four of the five members of my family (original family I grew up with - am single) have bought it, only two have read it - my mom and one brother. My sister and other brother have not read it, which is a bit frustrating as they're both big fiction readers, and my dad has not even purchased it, nor will he ever. He thinks I should be writing "serious" stuff like political exposes and whatnot.

Anyway, it's all very interesting. I love studying the data.

MorganMarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
As far as friends and family goes, I think they are way over-rated. ;-) I'm kind of like the red-headed stepchild in that it took a long time before anyone in my family bought my first book... I think Ann has done remarkably well and if she can do this well with a paperback, what will she do with an ebook? I expect that with her drive and ingenuity, and assuming it's a good book, her prospects are good for success.

Agreed! This is exactly what I was thinking. I know that my self-published book, "Song of Spirit", has hardly sold at all, even to my family and friends. This is mostly because I am so horrible at sales and marketing. I think -- family and friends or not -- Ann has done a wonderful job in her sales. I'm watching this thread close to learn from you, Ann! And to cheer you on!

Status
Not open for further replies.