Cowboy hats

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
"His Stetson" - "His hat" - "His sombrero" - depends on what you're wearing and where in the country you're wearing it.

(By the way, cowboys wore all KINDS of hats. Broad brim, floppy, derbies and bowlers...)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stetson is a brand. If a guy is wearing Resistol (George Strait) and you call it a Stetson, them's fightin' words. I think just call it a hat.

MM

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Stetson.

Mmmm...

There is nothing like a man in a Stetson.

Mainly my man.

When he gets home from travel, I think I'm gonna make him put his on...

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Mary has it right. I've lived in "cowboy hat" country most of my life, and we call them hats. Years ago, they were often referred to as "western style" hats, but I haven't heard that phrase recently.

ELMontague

I was raised in West Texas. They're just hats. Though, you might take a clue from WriteKnight and be descriptive of the hat. Some folks wear broad hats made by Stetson. Some wear tight, weathered and sweat stained straw hats they got at the dollar store. Some men just wear a ball cap if your writing about current ranch work, your ears get burned so I wouldn't recommend it. And then you have to consider the material. Felt has many grades that have widely different price ranges. You can get a felt hat from WalMart for $20, but the felt is cheap. You can get a beaver felt hat for more than $500, a lot more if you shop at the right place. Straw hats aren't all equal either. There's straw and palm and reed.

If I were writing a cowboy hat, I'd describe the hat and then just refer to as a possession of the wearer from then on, if I referred to it at all.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Sombrero was very common in period writing...even if the hat in question was a Stetson. Often they'd also be referred to based on their style...Montana Peak for example. If the character had an Army background he might call his a campaign hat, but that's not very common.

You could also just refer to it once (or describe it) and then just call it a hat.

KHCho

Registered
Reaction score
"Boss of the Plains" was a popular style of the old west beginning around the Civil War period. It was influenced by the sombrero (think Hoss Cartwright of the Ponderosa for an uncreased crown version). This was the hat Stetson first made in Colorado and cost as much as $20.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
In a modern setting it would work to put the brand name in, such as: Stetson, Resistol, Bailey, etc...
But in a period western, I'd use "hat" along with the description of it.

Dan

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I thought sombreros were those hats with a huge brim that stretch out to your shoulders and had a tall peak.

I was thinking more like the cowboy hats that sort of resemble top hats.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sombrero is Spanish for hat and did originally refer to the Mexican style of hat with a huge rim and high crown. But, sombrero is used loosely to refer to any kind of brimmed hat - even here in Ohio on occasion if someone is joking around. Puma

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
My Time/Life book titled "Cowboys," shows four distinctive styles of cowboy headgear, but does state cowboys wore everything from "boaters" to "bowlers." The Sugar-loaf sombrero had a high peak and broad brim, but not as broad as we normally think of the Mexican sombrero; Plainsman, low peak and medium brim (good in the wind) I think a lot of the drovers wore these on trail drives; Montana peak (I think this is the one you see in the Wyatt Earp movies; and the Texas hat (the Texas hat had a medium high rounded crown with a star on the side half-way between brim and peak and a one-inch band with a bow tied under the star. This one looks like the early Texas Ranger hat and the hat popular with town constables.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
This is a subject that has always fascinated me.
When I lived on a ranch in Southern California, I wore a straw hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. Have no idea what it was called as I bought it at Sears.
Over the years, I've noticed that hats vary greatly from area to area throughout North America.
Recently, I'm aware of the hats worn by Mexicans and it surprises me to note, that while most have a singular style, they vary from area to area within Mexico as they do here in the USA.
The Sombrero seems isolated to Mariache groups and some isolated small villages in desert areas made of straw.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
But isn't that about the way they always show Pancho Villa in movies (and other Mexican bandits)? Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
In the last two Zane Grey books I read, he used the word sombrero to discribe the cowboy's hats.

Just thought I'd through that out there.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just call it a "cowboy hat". I'm a country gal, and I don't have a hang up with the term. Honestly, it's the quickest way of getting the image you want into your reader's head, which is what good writing is all about.

As for the type of cowboy hat, most of us country people wear felt in winter, and pale bleached straw for summer.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would depend on your setting. If everyone in the story wears a 'cowboy hat', then just descibe it and call it a hat.
'Cowboy hat' implies that there are other kinds of hat. A generation ago, most men wore hats. A cowboy come to town would stand out, if the townsfolk wore some other headgear, derbies, perhaps?

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for reup this topic, but maybe this picture can be useful for you. It came from an italian book (click for enlarge).

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for reup this topic, but maybe this picture can be useful for you. It came from an italian book (click for enlarge).

while many think the 3rd down on the left is the typical vaquero sombrero, it is actually both of the top two in that row. The 3rd is typical of peones.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What's another word for that kind of hat? It feels kinda silly calling them a cowboy hat in a story, and they've got to have an actual name.

Each kind of hat had a name. Knowing that name isn't enough. You also need to know who was likely to wear which kind of hat, when each kind of hat was first made, which part of the country a hat was most popular in, etc.

I've read about too many characters wearing Stetsons before the first one was even made, or before they became popular, or who think every Stetson was alike.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool page, Jonah.

My personal choice is the second down on the left. They call it a Texano. I have one in black felt and one in brown leather. The leather one is hot hot hot. Your head sweats a ton.

MM