Can a writer have a say over the cover art of her book?

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
My experiences so far (which is limited!): my editor said she usually gives the art department full creative license for the cover, but that if I wanted to submit ideas and/or a list of covers I love and hate, she'd be happy to pass that along for their consideration. I also REALLY hope to avoid the whole pretty dress/bare torso/wind-swept hair scenario.

But, hey. Whatever!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
All I can say is, if I had any input on my covers, you can bet the SACRIFICIAL MAGIC cover wouldn't be the only one I actually like.

But what matters more is that all those other covers I'm not crazy about, with the model I loathe? Readers seem to love them. So who am I to say they're bad covers?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Agents don't have any role in cover design. None. Zero. Talking with your agent about it is pointless.
My experience is a bit different. My agent suggested early on that she and I compile a selection of covers that we like and she was the one who actually sent them over to my editor after we'd talked about it.

She's quite invested in the entire process, although we both know that it is ultimately the editor's call with the art department's efforts. My editor, though, was really pleased that we had done that and it seems we all like the same stuff, so my fingers are crossed that I'll get something I like.

And just for house-keeping, my agent has been in the business for a long time, both as an editor and an agent.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I discovered an artist online that totally captured the spirit of what I thought my book was trying to as well. I sent a link to the artist's page to my editor.
I actually came across a photo that I wanted to use in the redesign of my website. The photographer wanted more money than I could pay, but I did pass the photo and info to my editor who immediately got back to me with an "Oooooh! I love this! I'll take this to the cover meeting..."

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
But what matters more is that all those other covers I'm not crazy about, with the model I loathe? Readers seem to love them. So who am I to say they're bad covers?

That's the whole point, isn't it? The cover is just packaging, to get a reader to identify your book as the kind of thing they like and pick it up, so that they'll read the back cover or first page and then hopefully buy it.

I think that's why there are so many unimaginative copy-cat covers - the publisher's message is "here's another book like that one you loved - come buy it!". My own editor based my cover art commission on the UK cover for Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (it's even by the same artist). Having read the book, I have to agree that it's quite a lot like my own in flavour, so it'll hopefully attract the same kind of reader.

Not saying mine is a clone in quite the same way as the big UF trends - it would have to have a Hooded Man cover to qualify for that level of cookie-cutter monotony :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
That's the whole point, isn't it? The cover is just packaging, to get a reader to identify your book as the kind of thing they like and pick it up, so that they'll read the back cover or first page and then hopefully buy it.

Exactly. And again, I view the fact that readers love my covers as proof that the Marketing people at my publisher know more than I do about how to design a cover readers will want to pick up.

(I still hate that model on the first three and fifth covers, though. She is so far from what my MC actually looks like it's not even funny.)

I think that's why there are so many unimaginative copy-cat covers - the publisher's message is "here's another book like that one you loved - come buy it!". My own editor based my cover art commission on the UK cover for Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (it's even by the same artist). Having read the book, I have to agree that it's quite a lot like my own in flavour, so it'll hopefully attract the same kind of reader.

Don't forget, too, that bookstores have something of a say, as well; if they don't like a cover it's not unusual for it to be redesigned, because if they don't like it they won't order it, and if they won't order it...

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Don't forget, too, that bookstores have something of a say, as well; if they don't like a cover it's not unusual for it to be redesigned, because if they don't like it they won't order it, and if they won't order it...

Is that a US thing, or certain genres? I can't imagine UK booksellers having that level of clout/interest in the genre I write in. Too small a slice of the fiction market...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The buyers at Waterstones definitely have that sort of power with most publishers--at least, with the publishers which Waterstones considers stocking.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I want about a cover is that my MC,if she was used on the cover,NOT to be lightened,whitewashed or any other attempt to make her ethnically ambiguous.

That will NOT fly with me at all. Other than that,I really don't care as long as the cover is decent.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The only thing I want about a cover is that my MC,if she was used on the cover,NOT to be lightened,whitewashed or any other attempt to make her ethnically ambiguous.
You'd really think that there's been enough voiced outrage that publishers would stop doing this by now.

When they retitled my book to 'Three Graves Full', all I stipulated was that they really, really, REALLY couldn't put three little mounds of dirt on the cover.

My editor was silent on the line for a moment and, "Yeah, we not that literal-minded."

It was a good chuckle, but that's what's in my paranoid fantasies.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Too small a slice of the fiction market...

Second biggest genre (after Romance) other than 'mainstream/general fiction'? Romance is the biggest seller but it doesn't get its own section in Waterstone's. SFF does, and near me it's quite large.

I know my local SFF Waterstone's ladies and gent quite well, and covers help them to sell a book, and that's why they like them. Well, that and they're book lovers so hey they like a good cover.

And i have so not a hooded man. Is awesome.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
With the one book I have out with a major publisher, I had a TON of input on the cover. Partly because one of the early cover mockups somehow made it onto all the pre-order pages and I raised holy hell because it looked like crap. From that point on, they had me very involved in the cover design (even to the point that we changed the background color for my book, which is part of a series, so that it's differentiated from every other book in the series since the focus is slightly different). Granted, I tried to also step back and let the designers do their thing, but for the most part they followed all of my suggestions.

But, and this is a big "but", it's a book about design. So I had a vested interest in how the cover looked, as it would reflect directly on me. If it had been a book about anything else, I'm sure it wouldn't have been the same situation.

On a related note, I also had quite a bit of input into the interior design, too.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
You'd really think that there's been enough voiced outrage that publishers would stop doing this by now.

When they retitled my book to 'Three Graves Full', all I stipulated was that they really, really, REALLY couldn't put three little mounds of dirt on the cover.

My editor was silent on the line for a moment and, "Yeah, we not that literal-minded."

It was a good chuckle, but that's what's in my paranoid fantasies.

I know,right?

But it's happened so many times that I can't help but to be a bit nervous. Hopefully,you are right that publishers have learned their lesson.

LOL@that story. I'd love a cover with a bunch of tombstones on it. But then I'm a nutty horror writer!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
My agent suggested early on that she and I compile a selection of covers that we like and she was the one who actually sent them over to my editor after we'd talked about it.

She's quite invested in the entire process, although we both know that it is ultimately the editor's call with the art department's efforts.

Your agent is cool! I haven't heard of another agent who was so active in the process. That's neat.

So maybe I'll revise my advice to the original poster and say that she should ask the agent what his or her take is on cover design, and either the agent will be like my former agents and all ??? or like your agent and have lots of good ideas.

Morven

Child of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Some authors don't even get shown their covers at all. I know Pat Hodgell found out what the cover to one of hers was going to be -- from her fans linking her to the Amazon pre-order page.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Your agent is cool! I haven't heard of another agent who was so active in the process. That's neat.

So maybe I'll revise my advice to the original poster and say that she should ask the agent what his or her take is on cover design, and either the agent will be like my former agents and all ??? or like your agent and have lots of good ideas.

Yeah, my agent's an angel. I shall clone her and make bazillions.

Anastacia

Milk Maker
Registered
Reaction score
My co-author and I were given three cover choices to choose from. They allowed us to pick the one we liked best.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
For my upcoming book, I gave my editor a detailed brief of what I envisioned and he followed it almost to the letter - but AR are a small publisher and my editor doubles up as art director, so if he gets a great idea from an author, that's one less job for him to do!

The only bit he omitted was my suggestion of a shadowy figure in the background, because we would have been charged for two models, even if it was only the same girl in a hooded cloak!

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Reading this has been really fascinating and given me an further understanding of what goes on behind the scenes. (People should talk about this more often!) Thanks, guys.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'll be seeing cover art in the next few weeks. They said "we'll send it to you, and you can let us know your feedback."

Very exciting! (And nerve-wracking.)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
I have to admit to not having the typical experience of cover art. I get a form (Cover Art Request) and fill it out thoroughly, send photos in and the like, and then I get the cover and generally, I am happy with it.

So far I've had three designs done, waiting on my fourth right now. The artists have taken much of input into consideration, shocking given how nitpicky I can be.

I think part of this is that I am not just a writer, I am also an artist and have three years of schooling in graphic design, my bachelor's in Fine Art and a whole lot of marketing classes under my belt. It can be difficult when you straddle both fields because there instances of: Oh my god I would never do that. That won't sell!

Luckily that has not happened to me, but the covers of other books at my house do tend towards not so professional.