Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I see the green beads and some of them are in a cluster/knot sort of thing?

When the necklace is straightened out, each cluster is a simple flower. They're just decoration. It's the green beads sequences that form the name.

I think this would require some research

I've been looking and looking - I've been looking for like an old crafts book or some blog that features "old timey" crafts - but nothing so far. I don't even remember which friend made it - or what school grade - if I did, I might be able to find her on Facebook and see if she remembered.

It's quite a puzzle.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...

A couple months ago I ordered a kit for a crocheted bead bracelet. I haven't even opened the package yet. I have to figure out where/when I can work on it without cats getting in it.

Some day I'll have a bracelet.

MM

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
So...

A couple months ago I ordered a kit for a crocheted bead bracelet. I haven't even opened the package yet. I have to figure out where/when I can work on it without cats getting in it.

Some day I'll have a bracelet.

MM

My problem is I have a new puppy that weighs 95 pounds and he gets into everything on my sewing table, so I've had that section of my studio blocked off for three months now... but I hear yah I'm so wanting to go back to beading, stitching, etc.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Happy dance.

I have a student. We are going to cover flat even county peyote with increases and decreases. :) Then I'll show her how to start peyote in the round. Fun Fun

And I have interest in a beading class for the Missouri Bead Retreat. We are going to do a beaded bezel for cabochons and make it into a ring. I think I'll let the students pick out the cabs and the coordinating beads instead of making kits. Much simpler.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I just started beading bracelets and really enjoy it, but I have a problem with making sure there are enough beads so there aren't spaces in my bracelet. I'll get it straightened out soon, I'm hoping. :) Beautiful necklace, Filigree.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I love beading. I've given it up lately because of lack of time and space. One day, I'll have the upstairs closet converted into a craft room where I can leave my projects safely.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
.....:Ssh: that moment you realize that you have no gold-plated crimp bead covers...

....and your car is dead....

......and the nice bead store closes in 23 mins....

..............and the only close alternative is Michaels.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that is a bad moment. My sympathies.

Thank you.

I'm yearning to learn how to make flower petals and leaves. I can do a basic peyote, but I see some very pretty things on the covers of books, but when I look inside, the instructions just aren't there.

My boyfriend just isn't into that kind of jewelry making so he's never learned and can't teach me.

Is there a book I can get that will show me - easy like?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Google 'Bead Style magazine', 'Bead & Button magazine', 'peyote stitch leaf pattern, 'beadwork leaf pattern', or 'Russian Lace Leaf pattern'. Most of the beadwork magazines have how-to articles on their websites or in the back of the magazine. Interweave Press has some great basic beadwork tutorial books.

Bead Style magazine is more basic, with simpler projects. Bead & Button is where the intermediate to advanced projects are profiled.

Hint: you can make a pretty nice peyote leaf by working a long, shallow triangle, then mirroring the point on the other side of the long axis. Sort of like this on the end, but worked into long points at both ends.
OOO
OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO
OOO

The Russian Lace stitch gives an actual diagonal vein structure to the piece, too.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Having a conversation with a person on Etsy who might want some custom work done. *crosses fingers.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The latest big project: 'Rain Gloves'

#8, #11 seed beads in iridescent gray, faux 'opal' glass cabs, pressed glass double-hole beads in black iris, smoky clear gray in various shapes, 8mm iridescent pale blue 'rice' beads, 15mm gray-purple luster discs for buttons on underside. Model's hands slightly blurred with Painter filter to focus on beadwork.

Probably about 45 hours of working time, done as a proof of concept. I will probably not make these for sale because of the number of measurements involved. But I am thinking of entering them in a show as soon as I can make some understated wire glove forms.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Those are beautiful! Are you going to do a pattern at some point?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm trying to figure out a simplified and adjustable version, because people keep asking me. It'd still be around $150 to $200, but that would be a little better.

Maybe I'll fiddle around with pattern paper, just to see. It's been a while since I got a project into Bead & Button, and they pay fairly well.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Tubular Peyote is having issues with me because I keep adding or dropping stitches.

Practice will make perfect...it's not hard....I just have to keep.doing.it.

In the mean time, I've gotten my finishing down. We put my woven necklace and bracelet on page one of Aquarius Custom Jewelry, with a couple of my other things, and I did some Swarovski crystal bracelets with seed beads that we put on the 'Fashion' page.

As soon as I figure out how to post good looking pictures i'll stop sending you haring around the web to see it.

:D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
My latest piece. Loomed cuff with different sizes of seed beads. The flower is in 15 Tohos and 13 Czech beads. The background is size 6 Czech. it was a challenge to get everything situated so that it worked out okay. I think I'll bring supplies to work on another at the Bead Retreat this weekend. ;)