Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I tried chain maille once. It took a few hours for my eyes to uncross. :p

I just bought a rotating circular earring stand and I'm working on filling that up with holiday earrings to sell at my office's craft fair. I got some really cute ceramic and lampwork beads from Rings and Things. Mushrooms, Cupcakes, Lady bugs, Rubber Duckies, and of course Mittens, Christmas trees, starlight mint beads.

I wish I could figure out how to do a simple wire wrap. I've been shown how to do it. I've watched vids on it on you tube. It's like my head has a mental block.

I love Fire Mountain Gems. I love getting to that next level for the discount!!!

I just bought a strand of lapis lazuli in an oval shape. I strung it with gold spacers, but it doesn't lie right on my neck. I think I'm going to have to do mostly round beads, the spacers and then the ovals for accent.

Cool thread!! Thanks for posting!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
You need two pairs of pliers, with rubber-coated jaws, to do wire wrapping well. If vids don't work, can you follow step-by-step pictures instead? Lots of great books out there on wire-wrapping, and many magazines cover it as well. Try your local library, maybe?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have two pieces of 'different' things that I am trying to find the value of. Am thinking of taking to jewelry place and see what they say.

One is an old New Mexico turquoise necklace that the pendant is like about four inches long, two and half inches wide, almost 1/2 inch thick, and weights a ton. lol. It is in the shape of a leaf. The rest of it are chunks of turquoise in descending size. This is all on a silver cord. It's really an amazing piece.

I was told many years ago that because it is 'sealed' turquoise that the value was cut in half. At that time it had a value of $500.00. I was wondering if turquoise has gone up say in the last twenty years?

The other piece is a 'shoulder shawl'. It is all done in man made pearls. It's length is a bit longer than the mid part of your arm. It looks great with a strapless out fit. It is white in color and must have a million pearls in it. (From size 6mm to 10 mm, with drops off the pearl fringe.)

I have yet to have anyone look at this. It was acquired about 15 years ago. The workmenship is super. (Think lace looking.) I am planning on selling these this next year. (Momma needs a newer car....lol)

If I can figure out how to scan, paste, and copy to this area will see about sharing.

I just got the 2012 FireMountain catalog a few days ago.....sigh.
Talk about pig heaven. 1500 pages of sheer dreams. Makes the mind go nuts for this next year.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the turquoise piece check with Bahti Indian Arts. When I lived in Tucson they were the premiere place to go for Indian goods. They are at 4330 N Campbell. 577-0290. If I was looking for a place to take any of my old pieces, and I was still in Tucson, that's where I would go. They sometimes buy outright, and they also consign.

I have no clue regarding the pearl piece. Sounds like something for Antiques Roadshow. You might look around for a high end antiques shop. I know some 'costume' jewelry from the 40s-60s is worth a fair amount of money.

MM

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Will check into those places. Thanks a million. :D

czig

Wait--did I just say that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolziogas.com
When I was beading full time, I'd go to regional gem shows in NorCal a few times a year, and Arizona for the big shows. It was like a drug habit... so spendy, and all I'd get for my money was a little zip lock bag of goodies. Then I'd sell them all so I could buy more!

These days I just favorite pretty handmade focal beads I find on Etsy. I need to sell off my old stuff before I can justify buying anything new.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wendy, I had a thought (hey, it happens, not often, but it happens) about your pearl piece. Country Living magazine has a monthly feature of what is it/what is it worth.

countryliving.com/whatisit

That's for how to submit an item for consideration to be placed in the magazine.

MM

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh neat. Makes note of addy and runs off to check it out. (((((YOU)))))

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have had a head cold for two weeks. Sigh. Talk about the 'lost weekend' effect. lol

My daughter has been selling some of my stuff at her work place. She wears in it and they buy from her right there. She goes out to her car and puts on another piece, puts it on, and goes back in....repeat. lol

While I was sick I did some checking into doing some cameos. I think they are so pretty. I would like to make them in sets. Mom, daughter, grandma/MIL. Make them like family heirlooms.

How is everyone else doing? Any new ideas for Spring/Summer bouncing around in your head yet?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I dug out some sterling round wire in different gauges last night, a ring mandrel, pliers, and snips. Made a random woven-wire ring with a carved and frosted rock crystal bead dangling off the front. Kind of steam-punk, kind of gothic, especially after I blacked it with oxidizer and polished just the tops of the wires. So now I have a cool little cocktail ring. It gave me ideas for a matching wirework mask in blackened silver and crystal.

Why, when silver is so expensive, do I have to be reminded of all the truly gonzo pieces of wirework I want to make?

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds neat Fili.

I understand about the price of silver and gold. Never fails. lol

This next week I plan on getting back into the grind of making more stuff. You know it's bad when you even have dreams about them. :D

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Ooooh, that sounds like an awesome piece, Filigree!

I recently got a soldering iron, so I'm really hoping to be able to work on some basic wirework pieces over the winter break. I'm not sure what yet, but since it's mostly just experimentation anyway since I haven't done much wirework before, particularly with soldering, I'll probably try a lot of very odd and not-very-good-looking experiments. I'm inordinately excited about it. :D Also, if I get semi-decent at soldering, I'm going to see what super-fun things I can make with chain maille.

I'm not sure what I'll be making for Christmas gifts yet, but since my family's Christmas won't be until they get up here in January or so, I have slightly more time before I have to freak out about that. Sigh... All I know is they'll be beaded gifts. Of some kind. Probably.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up about $80 worth of seed beads last week from a gal who didn't want them any more for about half of what they were worth. :D

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That's a deal. Sounds like a lot of them too. Have fun.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Dang....what kind do you have to use?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Rather than re-invent the wheel, hit up the folks who already know. If you have a local jewelry-making supplier, ask. Online companies have FAQ's and contact emails for your questions. Many library books will cover soldering, in the hobby and craft section.

Anyway, hard, soft, and medium silver solders exist, usually an alloy of silver and tin with other goodies mixed in. I won't even use the softer ones, because their sheer strength isn't much over that of a wet cereal box. Medium and hard silver solders will melt at higher temps, and provide varying strengths. You may need a mini-torch to use them, unless your soldering iron is rated for really high heat. Have something fireproof to do it on. Keep two bowls of cold water handy: one to quench the project between heatings, and one to dip your scorched fingers.

The standard 'plumbing type' soft solders may not have lead in them anymore (check the packaging!), but they have the horrible tendency to 'scar' your silver or copper pieces if you overheat the joint. They're weak. And they often cool to a dull gray tone that won't match the warmer white of silver solder.

Oh, and even though copper is still pricey, it's way less than silver right now. I'd say make a proper mess with a bunch of copper wires from the hardware store. This has two advantages, not counting cost: 1) You won't be so worried about 'wasting materials' that you freeze up, and 2) If you come up with anything you really love, you can always have it gold or silver-plated.

Doing torch or soldering-iron hotwork opens up many new frontiers for jewelry makers. It's worth the hassle to learn.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Once my BF has a job again we will be setting up my torch again. I miss making beads! (pyromaniac at heart)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just not as good with metal as I want to be. I can't make nice loops! They are either too big wrapping around or they are off-kilter. Ugh!