Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I rip on her work a lot, but secretly I want my books to sell at least a quarter as well as her books. I'd even accept 1/8 the sales. Seriously. She sold a ton.

I'm jealous of that. But more miffed and annoyed. I want to shake these kids and say, "No! It's junkfood! Ugly, nasty junkfood!"

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Stephenie Meyers sold a shitload of books. Good on her. I'm happy for her. They weren't horror books. Sure, I wish people would stop appropriating horror characters for their own purposes, be it romance, paranormal, SF, or whatever. But it doesn't reflect on our genre.

See, vampires are evil creatures that kill. Meyer's vampires are two hundred year old entities that study geography and sparkle in the daylight. They don't belong to us, those sparkle creatures. Probably best to ignore them.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Very true, Ted. I would love to sell like she does! Or Anne Rice for that matter. But the twilight series is pure junkfood for vampire lovers. Not that scarey, vamps not vampy enough etc.

It gives me hope though. That my work will sell that well.

PS. I still love Angel and Spike from the Angel & Buffy series. Angel was scarey as Angelus! And Spike, well the mayhem that vampire would cause for love.... I will confess to wanting something like that just on principle.

Hope you guys don't revoke my membership for liking Buffy.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a thing for Charisma Carpenter. I always have. I used to watch Angel with the sound turned off so I could watch her.

And I loved Buffy just for the witty banter. Back in the day, it was good stuff.

I liked Willow(can't remember the actresses name), I had a major crush on her at 8yrs old. I seriously would of been hard pressed to decide bbetween marrying her or Xena. Until Kendra came along for that short time. She walked on screen and I was infatuated.

Weird fact: I use to think King Zad(beast master) needed a hug to cure his obviously sever case of the grumpies, but I certainly didn't want to do it. :tongue

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I liked Willow(can't remember the actresses name), I had a major crush on her at 8yrs old. I seriously would of been hard pressed to decide bbetween marrying her or Xena. Until Kendra came along for that short time. She walked on screen and I was infatuated.

Weird fact: I use to think King Zad(beast master) needed a hug to cure his obviously sever case of the grumpies, but I certainly didn't want to do it. :tongue

What's funny, I feel the same way about every incarnation of The Hobbit I've ever seen. I really think Smaug just needed someone to talk to. Imagine how boring it must've been sitting alone inside that mountain for fifty years!

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What's funny, I feel the same way about every incarnation of The Hobbit I've ever seen. I really think Smaug just needed someone to talk to. Imagine how boring it must've been sitting alone inside that mountain for fifty years!

Exactly! Though I was a contrary little creature. I never wanted to hug Zad, but I would of wanted to hug Smaug. In fact, I wanted to hug the new Smaug when I saw the movie in theaters a couple months ago.

So, did you get into How I Met Your Mother, too? I never did.

Nope, never managed to get into it. I'm not huge on comedy shows.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nobody would touch it. Too dark and creepy. It would have to be a webisode thing. And I ain't got the money for that. If I did, I'd have a horror host show, too.

Uncle Ted's Cabin. Think MST3K and Son of Svengoolie, with a healthy dose of Tales from the Crypt.

But surly the horror channels could use a sit-com of some sort. You know, something to rival walking dead.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Exactly! Though I was a contrary little creature. I never wanted to hug Zad, but I would of wanted to hug Smaug. In fact, I wanted to hug the new Smaug when I saw the movie in theaters a couple months ago.

Exactly. Like in the older cartoon movie, when Smaug thought Bilbo was just an ordinary thief, he even tells him to take whatever he wants. (of course, then he flips out when Bilbo actually takes something, but whatever.) And seriously, can you imagine the stories Smaug probably could tell?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Exactly. Like in the older cartoon movie, when Smaug thought Bilbo was just an ordinary thief, he even tells him to take whatever he wants. (of course, then he flips out when Bilbo actually takes something, but whatever.) And seriously, can you imagine the stories Smaug probably could tell?

The Bashki ones? I had them on vhs as a kid. And yes I can imagine the stories he could tell!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Hounds.

It's now the Easter weekend, and I'll be leaving for Glasgow and Eastercon in a couple of hours. There was snow on the ground in Bradford at last year's Eastercon. I think the weather will be better this time round.

Should be fun. When I started going to Eastercon in the early/mid 1990s quite a few of the friends I made there were Scots. One of them has his first novel being launched this weekend.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Happy Easter weekend Shaun. Bunny warning?

Should be asleep, but I'm on a high from finishing the second half of my Gorgon synopsis and the outline for the gorgon novella in only a couple hours. Might use some of this to do some actual writing. As of yet undecided on if I should do that, or just go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.