The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
There are ways to find out...

...the truth re our situation, and I will soon (harder to get facts over the weekend about something like this, which I don't think is an accident). Isn't it ironic it happened over Easter weekend?

P.S. Personally, I think the person in question is changing his pen name, nothing more, and if I were someone who was really upset about him "dying" I would be major pis***....

Last edited:

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
Crunchy Frog said:
Woo hoo! Got my copy of Atlanta Nights today! And I got it at a real bookstore (Borders) too. Yes, you can buy Atlanta Nights at a real brick-and-mortar bookstores!!! (If you special order, that is.)

Travis Tea rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ordered my copy of Atlanta Nights from Lulu, and got it earlier this week. Having read the first chapter, I can already say it's just as good as any given story posted to fanfiction.net! Way to go, Travis!

Crunchy Frog

Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:
Crunchy -- was it $19.95? :tongue Just couldn't resist that one people! :)

LOL. Well, actually, it was $17.96 (though with 8.8% sales tax, the total came to $19.54.) No shipping and handling charges!

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
One way to sell books. Someone has already suggested it would be a nice gesture for the family if they all bought a copy of his book, and further suggested they could donate to a library. Under normal circumstances, yes. But until verified -- no. Has anyone here read any of his work? Is he a good writer?

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Crunchy Frog said:
LOL. Well, actually, it was $17.96 (though with 8.8% sales tax, the total came to $19.54.) No shipping and handling charges!

Well, you got a bargain! Especially for a special order. :Thumbs:

OK, will get back on track, everyone. :Hammer:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Ann said:
One way to sell books. Someone has already suggested it would be a nice gesture for the family if they all bought a copy of his book, and further suggested they could donate to a library. Under normal circumstances, yes. But until verified -- no. Has anyone here read any of his work? Is he a good writer?

If you don't mind burning your eyeballs out looking at a hideous web site*, you can read a sample of Crispy on his site. Personally, I think his writing is not quite of publishable quality. It's not fanfiction.net, by any means; with a bit more practice and learning he would definitely get published. I just don't feel it's quite pro quality.

*I'm not trying to speak ill of the potentially-dead, but that web page should be taken off the Internet for crimes against humanity.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ann said:
Ann does it matter? Wouldn't you be supporting PA by buying a book no matter what the cause or who's book it is or was? I wouldn't care if they were donating the money for my book to cancer research, I'm sorry I would still tell everyone not to buy it!

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
T42 said:
Ann does it matter? Wouldn't you be supporting PA by buying a book no matter what the cause or who's book it is or was? I wouldn't care if they were donating the money for my book to cancer research, I'm sorry I would still tell everyone not to buy it!

Mem,

Not what I was saying. To clarify; I only ask if anyone knew if he was a good writer, because I know that some of those people will buy his book(s), and what a shame to have bad books donated to the library. I'm sure the books would have to pass library muster, but still the thought occured to me.

And the "yes" would be a nice gesture under normal circumstances outside of PA. Didn't make myself clear.

J.S. Blue

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add one last thought.

Were this a joke, or way to "kill off" his uh, "persona" it's a very sick, self centered, egomaniacal way of doing so.

Ah hell, what do I know?;)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ann said:
Mem,

Not what I was saying. To clarify; I only ask if anyone knew if he was a good writer, because I know that some of those people will buy his book(s), and what a shame to have bad books donated to the library. I'm sure the books would have to pass library muster, but still the thought occured to me.

And the "yes" would be a nice gesture under normal circumstances outside of PA. Didn't make myself clear.
Hey, I'm never clear:Shrug: :)

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
That's my thought, too. Would his wife refer to him by his pseudonym in a death notice? "She" said that HB Marcus is dead... not his real name.

Okay, I speculated. There's so much about this that not only doesn't ring true to me, but rings plain silly. He was violently hitting people at a hospital and posting nonchalant messages on PA's boards from his laptop at the same time? Yah. Right.
His wife did call him H.......b...... and he called her JB and their child MB.

But I must point out something though. He was hiting staff, right? He could be doing this when they tried to take away his laptop, but yet he never mentioned owning a laptop. He talked about his homemade computer Overkill II, but not a laptop and he did not have one at the convention last year. His notes for his seminar were on a peice of paper, and if you look through the photos from the convention you can see this.

One thing that does get me is that JB would send an email to another PA author first instead of calling CBM's best friend Joe. Like Jow said, either way he is dead. If it is him, I feel for his family. No kid should ever have to grow up without a parent. Like him or not, he was good to her and I will give him credit for that. If it is his alter ego that died and he is leaving PA behind then I wish him all the best. What the latter makes me wonder is did he leave on his own or did PA force him to leave?

Purple, Dee's book, Atlanta Nights, the media blitz, more authors leaving the fold, Mem's IRS investigation, the sudden non exclusive rights and CBM's so called demise makes me wonder if something big isn't happening in Frederick.

Kelly, yes that is purple. Where did you find him?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Galoot said:
Here we find: I would suggest that we each purchase one of HB's books. The royalty would amount to the price of a card.
Around here, the only way to get a "nice" card for less than $1.00 is to shop at the 99 Cent store. :Ssh:

J.S. Blue

Registered
Reaction score
akaa1a said:
So Joe...

Aren't you a really close friend of his?

Well, I guess not......shame on me for assuming I was.
Or as Gomer Pyle used to say "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

:Huh: :crazy: :Smack: :horse:
Now, do you have a smiley that says "I'm a gullable idiot"?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
KellyS. said:
I'm going to ask one more time. lol
Could this be Purple?

purpledoo.gif

Found this image again and colored him purple. Thought it was cute. I know, weird sense of humor.

Purple the Pooping Pony. <snicker> Very cute, and sure beats all the other stuff we have to talk about today.

Actually, I think he's very appropriate to today's discussion. Yes, Purple, that about sums it up. LOL!

I like him! :)

Susan G.

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
the real joeshmoe said:
I would like to add one last thought.

Were this a joke, or way to "kill off" his uh, "persona" it's a very sick, self centered, egomaniacal way of doing so.

Ah hell, what do I know?;)
Authors kill off their persona all the time. Stephen King did with Richard Bachman when people started thinking they were the same person. He got a hell of a book from it too, "The Dark Half". Makes me wonder if the CBM's alter ego will make an apperance later?

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
<snip>
Purple, Dee's book, Atlanta Nights, the media blitz, more authors leaving the fold, Mem's IRS investigation, the sudden non exclusive rights and CBM's so called demise makes me wonder if something big isn't happening in Frederick.

Kelly, yes that is purple. Where did you find him?

He was tied to my docs. Maybe he's an imposter. Either that or Senor Purplehorse gets around.:)

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Quote:
I would suggest that we each purchase one of HB's books. The royalty would amount to the price of a card.
Grief is a terrible thing, but it can clarify the mind.

Given PA's questionable accounting practices who's to say the family would even get the royalties from such purchases?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
akaa1a said:
Now, this http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8498.htm post from Missy doesn't sound quite right. I'm not sure I understand who would be threatening HB's family.

While I agree things don't sound quite right, I can believe someone might be sick enough to threaten his family. I found the man's name, address and (presumably) home phone number with a fairly easy Google search, and I doubt he posted that information himself.

J.S. Blue

Registered
Reaction score
akaa1a said:
Joe...
How 'bout one of these instead!

:heart:

I wasn't meaning to add insult to injury...I just thought you might have some new insight into what happened.

Now, this http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8498.htm post from Missy doesn't sound quite right. I'm not sure I understand who would be threatening HB's family.

How do I use the spell checker? I want to check my spelling for "sick FRIGGIN' joke"

Maybe the guys in the black helicopters, piloted by Howard Hughes are after him, with Jimmy Hoffa leading the charge from the Area 51 groundbase....

BTW akaa1a, I'll take that huggy heart thingy!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Kevin, You are right, I think something big is coming down at Pa and the rope is getting tight.....just from the looks of my mail today I think fear is running ramp et and I think HB is watching as we speak! I could be wrong but this has smelt like a rat from the beginning and I hate the smell of rat!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I was trying to stay out of this nonsense but...

Publicity wh***s never miss a chance to cash in, no matter who gets hurt. So...Why hasn't there been a massive press blitz by the Stooges? Isn't this an ideal time to get some free press? Certaintly this would occur to someone over there. By the same token, wouldn't they weigh in on the affair, either overtly by something on the site or more slyly by deleting threads that mention this event from one angle (though I'm not really sure which).

If someone is really trying to "jump ship," their "make no public statement" policy is reminiscent of the old-guard Soviets whenever rumors of a defection occured.

Regardless, the whole thing got boring at about 1 AM this morning.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.