The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to be gathered into the fold; I'll try to pay this generosity forward.

Porter, I’m a relative newcomer to Oregon, but it’s clear why U of O is the Ducks and OSU is the Beavers--a whole bunch of rain and rivers.

I’m in Albany across the Willamette (rhymes with God-damn-it, I'm told) from Corvallis (Go, Beavs!), midway twixt Portland and Eugene (Go, Ducks!). I carefully do not take sides in this often un-civil war.

It’s the only state with an alternate side to its flag: the flip side shows a beaver. Also unique is an official pronunciation guide for dumbass out-of-staters. "Present day residents say ‘OR-uh-gun.’"

Porter, your fellow alumni Joey Harrington passed out pronunciation stickers when he played for Detroit: ORYGUN. In any war of words, I play the deaf card and get a sympathetic pass from most.

SR, "Great Falls has it alls." Besides the majestic string of waterfalls is the world’s shortest river from Giant Springs to the Missouri. I've lived all over Montana, and C.M. Russell country is a favorite. My mysteries take place in the nearby Highwood Mountains.

JoeBear, yeah, Kay’s just a kid, barely old enough to retire this last May at 66. I know, I know . . . I should date someone my age, but I’ve always gone for the young, innocent chicks (who just happen to be fluent in ASL).
For the record, Joey Harrington didn't actually play football for the Lions. What he did was lie around on his back a lot after being crushed by some 350 pound defensive end.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, Joey Harrington didn't actually play football for the Lions.

Ha ha ha, Joey took the route a lot of us do: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach," so he taught how to pronounce Orygun. His bumper stickers still sell like hotcakes at U of O bookstore.

I won't say anything bad about the good folks of Eugene. I got lost on my first trip to the VA clinic there, so the next time, some kind person put up this sign at the turnoff:

Not to be outdone here at AW, every time I log on, Mac stops whatever she's doing to write: Welcome, Chase. Thank you for logging on.

Is that sweet or what?

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where were you stationed...

It was all so long ago and far away: 298th MPs, Presidio of Monterey, California; 404th MPs, Göppingen, Germany; 101st Airborne, An Loc, and 173rd Airborne Brigade, Pleiku, Vietnam.

After ten years in the army, I kept safety and personal protection certificates for pistol, rifle, and shotgun with the NRA and continue to help out at local ranges.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is a senior at U of O and is taking ASL.

Small world, ain't it? Were I you, I'd be highly suspicious of the ASL taught at U of O.

I've seen those kids at games on TV fingerspelling "O" with both hands held up forming a circle (instead of the more conventional one-hand method).

They're obviously proud of the accomplishment, but it's the only letter they seem to know.

Edit: I see I posted two in a row. Bad form for which I apologize. I'll give it a rest.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It was all so long ago and far away: 298th MPs, Presidio of Monterey, California; 404th MPs, Göppingen, Germany; 101st Airborne, An Loc, and 173rd Airborne Brigade, Pleiku, Vietnam.

After ten years in the army, I kept safety and personal protection certificates for pistol, rifle, and shotgun with the NRA and continue to help out at local ranges.

A hundred years ago I trained as an 11B at Ft. Dix, NJ. Thought I might be able to blame you for the fact I couldn't even hit the ground with a .45 if I dropped it. Alas, you were elsewhere.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A hundred years ago I trained as an 11B at Ft. Dix, NJ. Thought I might be able to blame you for the fact I couldn't even hit the ground with a .45 if I dropped it. Alas, you were elsewhere.

I was in Ft. Dix in late September 1962 to get my army discharge, after which this civilian took a cab across the bridge to pick up my Renault Dauphin at the Port of NY. I swear I did not see a .45 ACP the whole time I was in New Jersey.

I remember, because I didn't stay a civilian very long. The very next month Kennedy andd Khrushchev got all cranky and recalled all of their people who ever wore a uniform. I was summarily undischarged and until I got redischarged in ’69.

You’re right about poor military training with the M1911A1 pistol in the brown boot army. They made us stand with one arm extended looking down our noses at bull’s-eye targets, as proper gentlemen should--no two hand shooting like a girl.

Thanks to followers of former marine Jeff Cooper and his combat techniques, the two hand Weaver stance took hold and the .45 was again more effective to shoot than to throw.

Then, of course, military intelligence couldn’t stand something working effectively, so it quick-like switched everyone from .45s to 9mms.

I wept bitter tears, like when right in the middle of a shooting war the military traded the M14 and its hefty .308 for the M16 and a cartridge used in Montana for dinging prairie dogs.

I see some services are now returning to Jeff’s .45 ACP and other larger cartridges.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I see I posted two in a row. Bad form for which I apologize. I'll give it a rest.

Blah, blah, blaaaah.

All I wanna know is did you bring any contraband or at least something to eat? :poke:

(Seriously, :welcome: Chase)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
uch
I was in Ft. Dix in late September 1962 to get my army discharge, after which this civilian took a cab across the bridge to pick up my Renault Dauphin at the Port of NY. I swear I did not see a .45 ACP the whole time I was in New Jersey.

I remember, because I didn't stay a civilian very long. The very next month Kennedy andd Khrushchev got all cranky and recalled all of their people who ever wore a uniform. I was summarily undischarged and until I got redischarged in ’69.

I remember it well. President Kennedy hit the airwaves on my 16th birthday with the BOP announcement fun.

You’re right about poor military training with the M1911A1 pistol in the brown boot army. They made us stand with one arm extended looking down our noses at bull’s-eye targets, as proper gentlemen should--no two hand shooting like a girl.

Yep. Damn thing got heavy too.

I wept bitter tears, like when right in the middle of a shooting war the military traded the M14 and its hefty .308 for the M16 and a cartridge used in Montana for dinging prairie dogs.

I see some services are now returning to Jeff’s .45 ACP and other larger cartridges.

I loved my M14 and was damn good with it too. In their wisdom, the Army sent me to Korea rather than that other annoying spot in the East where stuff was happening. We kept our M14s. Those other folks got the neat new rifle that kept jamming.

Unlike you, I did my two years, nine months and three days and ETAd. Not that I was counting or anything.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved my M14 and was damn good with it too. In their wisdom, the Army sent me to Korea rather than that other annoying spot in the East where stuff was happening. We kept our M14s. Those other folks got the neat new rifle that kept jamming.
I qualified marksman with the M14 in '65. After that, I had to qualify with the M16 each year while in Japan. I'm lucky I qualified, much less make marksman each year with that thing. Didn't like the balance and it wasn't what I'd call a solid piece. The only things it had on its side were good PR and markekting.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite was the M60 machine gun. Accurate as hell and used the same rounds as the M14.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite was the M60 machine gun. Accurate as hell and used the same rounds as the M14.
In my hunting days, pre-military, I used a Mauser 8mm. Damned accurate ... as long as the 15-year-old could hold it steady (it was a mite heavy). Come to think of it, that may have helped with the M14 a few years later.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
In my hunting days, pre-military, I used a Mauser 8mm. Damned accurate ... as long as the 15-year-old could hold it steady (it was a mite heavy). Come to think of it, that may have helped with the M14 a few years later.
No doubt. IIRC, the M16 was lighter than the M14 which added to its accuracy problems.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No doubt. IIRC, the M16 was lighter than the M14 which added to its accuracy problems.
Yep, that was one of its marketing points for that place with all the jungles - lighter, so easier to trudge along with.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Seriously, :welcome: Chase)
Thank you. I always liked Laverne better than Shirley. Laverne's tiny cursive L was pure class.

I posted this late last night while up and waiting to set my clocks back at 2:00 Sunday morning. I did, and suddenly it's 1:00 Sunday morning. My question is when 2:00 a.m. rolls around for the second time, do I again set the clocks back, as per instructions? What about another hour later, the third time Sunday hits 2:00 in the morning? Curious elders want to know.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I always liked Laverne better than Shirley. Laverne's tiny cursive L was pure class.

I posted this late last night while up and waiting to set my clocks back at 2:00 Sunday morning. I did, and suddenly it's 1:00 Sunday morning. My question is when 2:00 a.m. rolls around for the second time, do I again set the clocks back, as per instructions? What about another hour later, the third time Sunday hits 2:00 in the morning? Curious elders want to know.
A valid question. Congress should work on that rather than what they normally do. The country would be better off.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...our wallets, institutional mythology and superstition, irrational thought, I-got-mine-you-get-yours philosophy, hypocrisy ... like that.
Well, they do vote themselves nice pay raises and a great retirement plan, complete with healthcare. That's got to count for something.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they do vote themselves nice pay raises and a great retirement plan, complete with healthcare. That's got to count for something.
Yeah, they're working on retirement plans and healthcare, one person at a time. That's something, I guess - I-got-mine-you-get-yours.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
The only 45's I ever shot were 5" 45's and actually shot a whole lot more 16 inch shells. Used up about 660 pounds of WWII and Korean powder, saving storage bills and lives, with each shot.

They were tough to get out the holster.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reportedly, Ernest Hemingway considered his best work his short story that consisted of only six words, titled "Baby Shoes." The story: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

There's something enticing about minimalism, given life in today's world, with our senses and minds bombarded with so many distractions, natural and contrived, that serve only to muddy our minds and obscure the path in front of us. Minimalism, in the form of philosophical aphorisms, impressionistic art, ancient cultures, e.g., traditional Japanese lifestyle and customs, can sometimes clear the mind and shed light on the significant elements of the human experience.

In the spirit of Hemingway's words, here's a view, featuring Sami's shoes, of what is really important. It's also titled, "Baby Shoes."

Nice. Cat. Mat.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.