Status
Not open for further replies.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I think my next novel is going to be social - I'm taking on abortion. Plotting like crazy, determined to avoid telling or philosophizing. Just want to present the reality as it was, pre-Roe and what it devolved into. We shall see...

ps I posted this to remind myself of where I'm hoping to go and to put a stake in the ground: yes, I am going to write this!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking on abortion.

And I'm taking my hat off to you! Don't let anyone say you're taking on a "slacker" issue. I'd love to do this too, but I can't find the "story" that would let me make my "point" without soapboxing. So I'll duck the issue by saying I've got enough projects to worry about without taking on another.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to write something "important." I think I had a great start with a novel that was much too long for the point it needed to make, and I didn't know nearly enough about writing at the time to pull it off. I still might not know enough, but I'm getting itchy to resurrect that project and give it another go.

"Social" writers have always been passionate, so that's not the problem, and every cause has a loyal group of fellow enthusiasts/activists, so that's not the problem either. The problem is the public is notoriously fickle and getting a large number of people to care about an issue is tough. You have to hit them just right with just the right message delivered in just the right way at just the right time. An issue gets ignored one year but then is all the rage the next. Even those who say "I've been saying that for years and here's the book to prove it" get ignored in favor of the hero of the week. Welcome to celebrity; it's not likely to be any different any time soon. Anyone who could predict these trends would be able to change the world and make a ton of money on book sales in the process. Therefore, write for the passion and see who responds.

I'm glad I came back to this thread, to this quote. Without passion, none of it matters, and here's a great case-in-point as to why writers need one another: to remind us why we do what we do.

Lacy, my personal convictions on the subject aside, I'd be fascinated to read such a novel. Keep me in mind as you work on the manuscript. I think I'll join you and write a social novel of my own.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
I think for some it is hard to balance activism with preaching. Cross that line and you've done your cause more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.