Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Another exciting day on the AW board.

No wonder prodcos ask for loglines instead of full scripts.

-Derek

Daydreamer

Registered
Reaction score
... if i wanted to work for an asshole, i'd be self-employed.

I think that pretty much says it all.

(Sorry, Preyer, couldn't resist ;))

Ps: I don't think NMS tried to put down anyone of you, so cool down, folks.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Aside from those in the film/TV industry and asorted buffs, how many civilians can name the screenwriters of their favorite films and TV shows -- or the tops ever of the "greatest" film lists? Jay Walking time?

Generally, readers can name authors of their favorite books.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
One difference between writing for the screen and books is that readers generally remember the authors' names, but very few outside the movie industry can name any screenwriter, even those who created their favorite films.

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
One difference between writing for the screen and books is that readers generally remember the authors' names, but very few outside the movie industry can name any screenwriter, even those who created their favorite films.

I'll bet that if some screenplays -- Casablanca and Seabiscuit, just to name two off the top of my head -- were published and distributed like novels are, the public would buy and read them and the screenwriters would become as well known as some novelists are.

I wonder if there isn't an untapped mass market for well written screenplays, even screenplays that don't get produced?

I believe many scripts, especially scripts written well in spec script format, read as well as a good novel and better than a poorly written novel.

Last edited:

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
I'll bet that if some screenplays -- Casablanca and Seabiscuit, just to name two off the top of my head -- were published and distributed like novels are, the public would buy and read them and the screenwriters would become as well known as some novelists are.

I wonder if there isn't an untapped mass market for well written screenplays, even screenplays that don't get produced?

I believe many scripts, especially scripts written well in spec script format, read as well as a good novel and better than a poorly written novel.

A lot of screenplays are published in much the same way that many plays are published -- but since neither of them are really intended to be literary works per se -- that is, to be read by and for themselves, there has always been a very limited audience for them.

Every awards season, they tend to send out screeners and, for WGA members, also to send out published screenplays, if the movie in question has bothered to publish a screenplay, so I tend to get them -- but honestly, even I rarely read them.

NMS

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual for a studio to authorize a novelized adaptation of a film, and sell it as a paperback book.

The same story in screenplay format would just be too hard for most people to read.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score

I think anyone who becomes a screenwriter inevitably makes his peace with that anonymity, the same way that most of us make peace with being asked, as we often are, by casual friends and family members -- "So, when are we going to see your next movie?" -- something which, for the overwhelming majority of screenwriters, only happens at very long intervals -- if you're lucky every four or five years.

On the other hand, once you get outside the world of major film fans, I doubt that most people even know the names of any directors, beyond Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas and maybe one or two others, tops.

I doubt most people, if you asked them what a screenwriter was, or did, or what a director was, or did, or what a producer was, or did -- that they would even know, even those who watch the Oscars year after year and see the awards handed out.

NMS

VelvetCyberpunk

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I've been wondering about this too. Thanks for the info, everyone.

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
I think anyone who becomes a screenwriter inevitably makes his peace with that anonymity, the same way that most of us make peace with being asked, as we often are, by casual friends and family members -- "So, when are we going to see your next movie?" -- something which, for the overwhelming majority of screenwriters, only happens at very long intervals -- if you're lucky every four or five years.

On the other hand, once you get outside the world of major film fans, I doubt that most people even know the names of any directors, beyond Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas and maybe one or two others, tops.

I doubt most people, if you asked them what a screenwriter was, or did, or what a director was, or did, or what a producer was, or did -- that they would even know, even those who watch the Oscars year after year and see the awards handed out.

NMS

I can live with that. Writing a great story into a screenplay is its own reward, while we strive for recognition, and money, lots of money, validates our efforts. We are in a sense like architects or designers whose creations are realized only when a building is constructed or a is product manufactured.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Basic answer, anywhere from 0-probably roof at 5 million these days (Though it could be higher, who knows.)

It depends on your contract, it depends on the company, it depends on the budget. It's pointless to try and figure out how rich you'll be next year by going into script writing because most writers don't make any money at all because they can't sell anything.

Okay carry on.

I think this is about as accurate an answer as you can get for the question asked.

Goldminer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.screenwritinggoldmine.com
Tremendous thread. Thanks for the discussion.

I've made my living as a storyeditor/screenwriter for over 12 years now (TV in the Uk) and though I've always had a couple of novels I wanted to write I've always held off because the time/money calculation seemed, (on a finger in the air rough assessment basis) deeply unfavorable compared to screenwriting.

But, you know, these days, novels look more and more attractive. The lower level of editorial intervention you get writing fiction seems simply wonderful, compared to the banks of researchers, story editors, storyliners producers, series producers, exec producers, heads of department, combined notes make writing an hour of tv demand steel determination, granite self belief and world class diplomacy on the part of the writer.

We'll see. Money's fine and work's interesting, and more relaxed than it has been for a while. Maybe three months finishing a novel would be therapeutic.

But I really can't see it making the same as a screenplay.