Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sage! I'm already kicking myself, though, because I realized while out running that I'd sent an old draft (this is what happens when you put aside an MS for 2 months, then randomly send out queries). When I got home and checked, sure enough... wrong draft!

I sent another reply to the agent apologizing for my mix-up and attaching the correct draft. Ugh. But I figured I'd at least give myself a fair shot that way /:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My first full for this novel had track changes I hadn't accepted. And I've sent tons of requested materials, so it happens to the most experienced of us

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I edited 10 pages today. I'm up to pg 89/220 and hoping to get to 57k by the end of this draft. I really want to finish this round of revisions by Friday or Monday. I'm MOVING!!!!tomorrow!!! so it'll be kind of crazy this weekend, which is why I'm hoping Friday I'll be done.

I feel like it's taken me this round of betas to really get what everyone has been saying all along. My MC reacts to everyone else around her, one of my betas said one in her notes & I cried and then realized she was right. Every reader I have said this but it's taken 23 rejections, 5 beta readers, and 1 R+R to really realize this concept and put it into action. I'm making changes to my MC's dialogue in 98% of scenes, and it has been really helping/improving.

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it casualrungal. Things like that happen. I doubt it's the first time it's happened to that agent either.

Smiley, good for you for getting all that figured out. Sometimes someone just has to say something in a certain way for it to click. I see it in teaching a lot.

Today is my C day at school, which means I only have 2 classes. I'm hoping to get quite a lot of revisions done on my first MS. I just need the magic powers of focus ;)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Casualrungal...congrats on the FULL request! It's an awesome feeling to get that first one under your belt.

As for writing style...sometimes you just need to shake it up to develop your own voice. I wrote my first 3 books in 3rd person past. Then I had a wild hair to write 1st person past. I didn't think I could do it or even like it. But I've now written 3 books in 1st and it's my favorite POV. If you read my 3rd person romances and then read my 1st person YA, you probably couldn't tell it was written by the same person, though. I think I might have 2 writing "styles."

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer writing in first, but WonW is in first and seems to be going okay.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about sending the older draft at all, Casual. Like Sage and the others have said, it happens to all of us.

Yesterday I was sending out my novel to publishers and realized after sending the first two that the title on the cover page didn't match the title of my email (the new working title). I emailed both publishers immediately, and have heard back from one of them that they fixed it for me.

As for voice, I wrote all of my fantasy in 3rd past as well as two of my erotica. However, when I was writing Lifesong, I wrote the draft in 3rd past, but it didn't feel right. I ended up changing it to 1st. Man, that took a long time too. I never thought changing from 3rd to 1st would be such an overwhelming change. Hoping to never do it again :)

I've been writing in 1st ever since.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
"Divided Moon" was in third person. Changing it to first person was one of the last revisions I did. It changed the story a lot.

My current WIP is in third person, but I think I might have to change it to first person. I think younger readers prefer first person. Don't know why I always start out in third. Guess my writing style is revision heavy. Sometimes I feel like I put together a novel like a puzzle.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone ever get writing snacks?

I got some Party Rings biscuits but I have a feeling they're going to go quickly... Especially as I'm going to use them as mini-rewards to get me through one of the scenes I'm writing...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
No, can't say I've ever done that.

My reward for a rough scene is time away from it :D

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do writing or editing snacks when I was doing a sprint, but now I limit my snacking to 1-2 lifesaver mints. They're so yummy.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Going through the snacks fast.

NaNoWrimo = stock up in room and buy every week or so...

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I once bought M&Ms as my reward for doing some revisions. Uhhhh the M&M bag was empty, and the revisions weren't done by the end of the evening. :roll: So I've stopped doing that ;)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the biscuits were supposed to last for a day or so. They're not.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I once bought M&Ms as my reward for doing some revisions. Uhhhh the M&M bag was empty, and the revisions weren't done by the end of the evening. :roll: So I've stopped doing that ;)

That's exactly what I would do :) I also don't like rewarding myself with food. I end up eating a lot of junk.

I actually tend to reward myself with TV shows...which might not actually be any better. I can't watch until I hit my word count :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
They're gone. I think I should stick with cheap popcorn - microwave and bags... Next week...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
In future:

Salted popcorn (which I know works)
Tomatoes
Raw carrots/carrot sticks
Ice cold water
Coke (best when having popcorn for me, lol)
Milk

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
lisalulu - Are you from the UK? I studied abroad in Scotland last semester and a friend introduced me to PARTY RINGS!!!! Yes, they deserve all-caps. Love them. I haven't been able to find anything similar back in the US, which is a real tragedy.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement about my draft snafu. I heard back from the agent and she got the correct one, no problem. That's a relief!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I'm from London.

Also, I might try salted cashew nuts. I love them. And Twiglets. I love things that are small(ish) and easy to pick at when writing.

I may go to my local cornershop on Friday and get some more stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.