Share Your Successes!

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tri, I figured that I have already done most of the work in researching and writing the stories, so I might as well put them to work for me and see what happens.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I understand that perfectly. My agent has four of my titles and I have one more eligible back-list and two other stand-alones that need editing. All of them are candidates for self-pubbing. But I sure don't want to upset my agent's apple cart, if you understand what I mean. Those books will have to wear themselves out on the sub trail with her. Then, maybe...if things don't go the way planned, I'll start putting them up on the KDP program.

I'm actually at the point where I've written too many books that haven't placed.

tri

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Think of them as money in the bank, Tri. If they don't get picked up, you can do the Kindle thing anytime. I figure I've got probably three or maybe four more travel books I can put together from these old stories. If each one sells 25 a month, that's a couple hundred bucks for my rapidly approaching old age.

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Though it was just released yesterday, my new book, Overlooked Florida, is already # 12 in the Amazon books US Travel/South category and #15 in the Kindle/Travel/US South category! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091JRM9I/?tag=absowrit-20 I think this is more an indication of how slow sales are right now than anything else.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Nick, I was wondering about a general sales slump too. I mean from about early-mid August up to now. It seems sales activity stopped all of sudden, in my case. And I'm talking about all across the board. I've kept slamming myself, wondering if I was doing something wrong. I hadn't changed my promo tactics at all and when I saw a huge decline, I backed off a bit.

tri

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
It's not you, Chris. Most of the folks on the KDP Voice of the Author/Publisher are experiencing the same thing.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Nope, it's not you. For the first time I've ever I've had days with no sales of any kind. I think it's a delay in reporting as other days I've had well into double digits, but still, I liked that not a day had gone by without at least one sale or KOLL borrow.

Don't let it get you down, just continue plugging away. It will all come out in the wash.

Nick, you're unstoppable!!! Congrats!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, guys. That's a relief. I've been sweating it for the past five days in particular. Yep, I always seem to sell a couple three books a week or so, no matter what. I was just surprised to see a full-ahead STOP on all activity.

I gave it a real good push tonight. Found some new sources and great communities. Did a lot of commenting. For some reason I underestimated LinkedIn, and really started jumping into the forums and making some listings and links.

I never knew that getting "liked" on your Amazon page was important in any way. I'm really in trouble then. I don't think I've ever asked anyone to visit or like my Amazon page.

tri

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Tri, can you post a link to your Amazon and Facebook pages?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Sure, Nick. Let me see if I do this right and get the right pages--still new to me a little.

FB Author's Page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Stevenson-Author-Page/177979902302440?ref=hl

Amazon Page (Don't know the difference between an Amazon Page and an Amazon Author's Page. The same?

BTW--I've just discovered the Kindle Boards and I'm having fun ripping it up there. I think I sold two copies just from a couple of posts. Whole different environment. Hugh H. is over there and I see a lot of posts from AW indies there too.

tri

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
There are quite a few Kindle boards, aren't there? I go to Voice of the author/Publisher. Which ones are you using?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I think Tri is talking about the forum at Amazon.com. Nick is talking about the Amazon KDP forum (you can get to that forum by clcking on Community from your KDP dashboard).

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
And the all important whistle, Merri!

Just peeking in, gang, too much to do just now to spend much time here. My sales dipped a bit too although, for some reason, I've sold more paperbacks this month than previously.

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
Just to report in for people wondering how sales are going. I've had 10 sales so far since I released the book 6 days ago. Not a lot, but I'm happy considering I didn't do any pre-release advertising and I didn't release it at a price of £0.99 or $0.99.

Plus, today I received my first 5 star review on Amazon! :) So all in all. I'm thrilled!

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
... If each one sells 25 a month, that's a couple hundred bucks for my rapidly approaching old age.

Nick, I was thinking that you don't look a day older from when you started this thread till now! Thought it was all that success and happiness keeping you young. lol

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I just checked my inbox and saw a notification from Smashwords (sent at 11:00 AM) that "Becoming a Hero: The Complete Collection" has sold its first copy.