What are you reading?

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Stages of Emergency: Cold War Nuclear Civil Defense, by Tracy C. Davis, and The Book of Eibon, an anthology from Chaosium edited by Robert M. Price.

HNaro

Registered
Reaction score
Doctor Faustus - Thomas Mann. I just spent Labor Day reading Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch. I've read about a half dozen of his and picked it up at a book sale. He really does impress me every time out.

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
Just finished Moonlight Masquerade of Jude Deveraux's Edilean series - very good!

Now I'm reading True Love, a new series set in Nantucket - I'm on a Deveraux streak. :)

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
The Sound and the Furry, by Spencer Quinn (Chet and Bernie mystery #6)

I was waiting and waiting for this story! :) It's already made me laugh helplessly several times. Quinn is such a great writer; he really draws me into the story. And I love the characters!

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Henry VI Part III, but I'm having a very hard time keeping the Yorks and Lancasters separated, especially since some of the supporting characters change sides more than once :D.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Just stormed through the first three Sandman Slim books by Richard Kadrey - I never really got on with the Dresden Files and these books seem to have the spark I thought the Dresden Files lacked.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
In my project to re-read all Shakespeare's plays, I'm up to Titus Andronicus. But I'm having a really hard time making myself read it as everybody in it does the most amazingly stupid things.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It took my breath away. Now I am reading A Clash of Kings by GRRM. I would like to read through the 3rd in the series (at least) before Game of Thrones comes back on.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Zen Putting, by Joseph Parent. My reward to myself for finishing the first draft of my WIP was golf lessons -- I've always wanted to learn to play. The first class was last week, and we putted. Just putted. A lot harder than it looks on TV!

While this book focuses on the mental game and how not to psych oneself out, its lessons can apply to things well beyond putting and golf.

Last edited:

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Lord Dunsany's The Book of Wonder which I stumbled across while researching gnolls for my upcoming NaNo novel. Really good stories, all deliciously dark.

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading The Chaos of Stars. It was good, although again, I found it lacked depth.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
In my project to re-read all Shakespeare's plays, I'm up to Titus Andronicus. But I'm having a really hard time making myself read it as everybody in it does the most amazingly stupid things.
I find that his most disturbing play for many, many reasons. The movie with Anthony Hopkins didn't endear it to me either. Unfortunately, I never had an opportunity to teach it. LOL

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard which was less depressing than would seem. Well-written, but there was something a bit empty about it (though not in a depressing sense).

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three chapters into Graham Joyce's The Silent Land. It's an interesting premise, but the writing is sometimes strangely clunky. Dialogue in particular reads as if it was written by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language (which is not the case). There are also more grammar and punctuation mistakes than usual for a trade paperback from a major publishing house.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I usually stick to review books, but I'd been hearing so much about Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) that I decided to borrow a copy from my local library.