The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
This is more like it: a form R and a partial request just came in.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
My book isn't for everyone. Teen murder can be off-putting. And maybe I could tone it down, but I don't want to. Not yet.

I guess why this one bothered me so much is because she said she was "so into it." And she had the synopsis. The drama shouldn't have come as a surprise, really.

And for fun, I got another rejection. What a morning!

*edit** First rejecting agent wrote to say she would consider my next project.

Great...now I have to write one.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I got an odd rejection last night. Last month, I won a "query review" on Twitter from an agency. I thought that meant a critique (or something like that, anyway). I'd all but forgotten about it, then got a really nice personal rejection yesterday. She said she liked it, and though it wasn't right for her, she thought another agent will offer representation for it. Since I knew she wasn't really a spec agent, and I never expected her to make an offer for it, the bit of praise was lovely.

Funny how good getting a rejection I didn't expect made me feel so good.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I got an odd rejection last night. Last month, I won a "query review" on Twitter from an agency. I thought that meant a critique (or something like that, anyway). I'd all but forgotten about it, then got a really nice personal rejection yesterday. She said she liked it, and though it wasn't right for her, she thought another agent will offer representation for it. Since I knew she wasn't really a spec agent, and I never expected her to make an offer for it, the bit of praise was lovely.

Funny how good getting a rejection I didn't expect made me feel so good.

Now THAT is awesome. You get a banana too. :banana:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

Seems excessive for a partial. However, I did finally get Dream Chair for bedroom. We ordered it six months ago.

That's it for remodeling! Oh well, I decided I need a another pillow for bed to tie all the colors together (and that will be it). Hubs couldn't tell until we got the chair, he said. We got the chair; he still couldn't tell. I told him we thought we needed the pillow.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Seems excessive for a partial. However, I did finally get Dream Chair for bedroom. We ordered it six months ago.

That's it for remodeling! Oh well, I decided I need a another pillow for bed to tie all the colors together (and that will be it). Hubs couldn't tell until we got the chair, he said. We got the chair; he still couldn't tell. I told him we thought we needed the pillow.

It doesn't seem excessive to me-not after my morning. All good news will be celebrated well on Rejection Wednesday.

Good luck with the pillow. I'm getting French fries.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't seem excessive to me-not after my morning. All good news will be celebrated well on Rejection Wednesday.

Good luck with the pillow. I'm getting French fries.

I went crazy and ordered two pillows. Because the chair is lime green. Our designer claimed it would go well with everything with a new pillow or two. It is an attention grabber; I'll say that for it.

Don't eat too many French fries. Leave room for the cupcake I promised you. It comes with a cocktail.

Today is the worst. That's it. That's all I got.

You get a cupcake, too (and the cocktail).

Anybody else? Get your orders in. We're leaving shortly to drive to the "cupcake happy hour" vicinity in order to avoid rush hour (and an hour, 45 minute drive like last time). I'm gearing up to see a reputedly stinky movie first. But that's what my daughter and her boyfriend want to see. I think they like tearing apart bad movies afterward.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: oh dear, what happened ?

Nothing that wouldn't seem like a pathetic excuse to complain next to people with real problems, but some days seem to just pile it on, don't they?

I'm returning your hug with another :Hug2:

You get a cupcake, too (and the cocktail).

*eats cupcake with one bite**downs cocktail**checks to see if anyone's looking**eats the crumbs off shirt*

Thank you. I needed that :D

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing that wouldn't seem like a pathetic excuse to complain next to people with real problems, but some days seem to just pile it on, don't they?

I'm returning your hug with another :Hug2:

*eats cupcake with one bite**downs cocktail**checks to see if anyone's looking**eats the crumbs off shirt*

Thank you. I needed that :D

We don't do pathetic here. If we did, I'd win. Instead we pass out pretend cupcakes and wine.

Spill--you only have kind ears here.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
We don't do pathetic here. If we did, I'd win. Instead we pass out pretend cupcakes and wine.

Spill--you only have kind ears here.

Okay, okay, I'll let my inner teenager take over and whine for a sec... and then maybe go pour myself some actual wine. Cause, luckily for me, I'm not actually underage.

My birthday is coming up, and for some bizarro reason, my birthday always leaves me feeling a little lost. For me, it always seems to shine a bright and REALLY unflattering light on everything messy in my life. So while I see that light creeping closer and closer, I start obsessing over the little bits and pieces of my unhappy puzzle. Things that everyone feels at one time or another, like hating ze job, being away from family, realizing you are the Last Single Friend at every wedding you attend... all the basic stuff (and believe me, I'm rolling my eyes at myself even as I write this). So toss in the fact that my best friend/roommate is moving out and my grandmother is in the hospital for tests again, and this Queen is ready to go to bed and call it quits for the day.

Okay, I actually feel better. And I promise I'm done whining about my silly problems now :)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, okay, I'll let my inner teenager take over and whine for a sec... and then maybe go pour myself some actual wine. Cause, luckily for me, I'm not actually underage.

My birthday is coming up, and for some bizarro reason, my birthday always leaves me feeling a little lost. For me, it always seems to shine a bright and REALLY unflattering light on everything messy in my life. So while I see that light creeping closer and closer, I start obsessing over the little bits and pieces of my unhappy puzzle. Things that everyone feels at one time or another, like hating ze job, being away from family, realizing you are the Last Single Friend at every wedding you attend... all the basic stuff (and believe me, I'm rolling my eyes at myself even as I write this). So toss in the fact that my best friend/roommate is moving out and my grandmother is in the hospital for tests again, and this Queen is ready to go to bed and call it quits for the day.

Okay, I actually feel better. And I promise I'm done whining about my silly problems now :)

Those don't sound like silly problems to me. Those sound like real feelings about real things. I whine about people not loving and jumping to rep my book--it's a small thing. It's hardly even tangible. Unless I print the pages of my novel and all the rejections out, it's not something I can touch.

Grandma in the hospital sucks. :Hug2:Birthdays suck too. I intend to not have mine. And as for being single...can't help you there. You might be better off. My husband snores like a freight train and doesn't know how to use a laundry bin.

*passes wine* Drink up. I want to see you dancing on the tables straight away.
icon12.gif

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
Hathor: Apparently the curls make me sexier-this according to my husband.

Rejection Wednesday started off with a bang for me. Agent who was "so into my book" rejected because it was too dramatic. At least it isn't boring? Not sure what to do with it because I never imagined a different ending.

Am crushed. *eats last piece of cake for breakfast*
icon9.gif

:( :( *hugs tightly* :(

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor: Apparently the curls make me sexier-this according to my husband.

Rejection Wednesday started off with a bang for me. Agent who was "so into my book" rejected because it was too dramatic. At least it isn't boring? Not sure what to do with it because I never imagined a different ending.

Am crushed. *eats last piece of cake for breakfast*
icon9.gif

wait was this the Twitter agent?!

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score

I second what's been said: those are not silly problems. They are soulful ones. A big :Hug2:

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
You Americans are weird. Here we don't need to prove our address change. We just show up at the MVB and tell them our new address and they make the change. Then we have THAT to get everything else that requires proof of address.

You should see the hoops I jumped through to prove residence to get my kids back into school. >_<

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
This Wednesday has been strangely silent, particularly for an end-of-the-month Wednesday.

BUT I did get my expensive, new, "grown-up" (aka non-hand-me-down/non-thrift-store) dining room set and bed set. Fancy!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
For this query I need to send, the agent wants the first chapter pasted in to the email. I have freaking huge chapters (because I follow how I have the whole thing outlined, and there's plenty of scene breaks in each chapter). It'd be 9600 words if I put the whole first chapter in.

So, any opinions on how long a first chapter for query purposes should be? Obviously I'll break at the end of the scene.

Hmm, I want to recall seeing "first 30 pages" or even "first 50 pages" in query submission guidelines before. Can I slap that puppy in there as is, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.